Run

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Nicholas, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Chris Whitman, one of our Programmers-Who-Is-Not-Me and the main programming force behind Conquest of the Wizardlands, has a solo project called Run that's now available on Desura:

http://www.desura.com/games/run

It's nothing like Dredmor; it's a very clever art game that - if memory serves - also manages to use the word ludologist. You can also try the free version on his website, or buy the soundtrack. Show him some love!

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Not really my genre of choice, but I will probably buy it next month if the price remains the same or similar. We have to support the Gaslamp Crew. :)

3. Cerbius

Cerbius Member

I don't currently have Desura installed on my PC, but once I move into my new place and get set up, I'll definitely give it a whirl. I'm always open to new ideas that are bold enough to try something different from the norm.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I think Desura now lets people download without their client.

Anyway, just bought the game, haven't tried it yet. Like the soundtrack, though.

OmniNegro and Cerbius like this.
  5. Createx

Createx Member

6. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

I usually don't like artsy games, but I'll take a crack at the free version when I have a chance.

7. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

looks like an angsty version of canabalt.

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

How do you have an angsty version of Canabalt? It's already angsty :p

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Bought this in the past hour or so, and given it a try.

It's... pretty interesting, but I'm not sure how I felt about being thrown in to it without even the briefest overview of the controls or even any audio options (I have my system volume set to about 33% as I use headphones, and Run was *loud*, even when I turned my system sound down to about 20-22%). So my first thoughts were "what the hell" and "bloody hell that's loud". Yes, as you can tell, I blaspheme a lot.

But I eventually got into it and I was intrigued, but the sections running along the text were like audio stories to me. I process it as I see/hear it but I end up focusing on other things (the platforming in this example) which means it doesn't sink in too well. The lack of control explanation made a certain minigame VERY hard (it seemed you could barely just max it), which I found a bit frustrating.

And unless I've done something wrong, there *wasn't* a visible save feature.

Edit: Just realised I sounded harsh. This is not intended. I liked what I played, but it seems to me that it needs you to sit down with it and get to the end in one go.

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.