Vampirism needs to be reworked.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ruigi, Jan 6, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If there was a way to scale off the actual amount of damage you do to the monsters, that would be absolutely perfect for scaling. But I think there is not currently. I will add this to the modding requests thread next time I am there. Done.

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Isn't this sort of a petition to the devs? I would think they don't have issues modifying the game executable, unless something funny happened I have not yet discovered.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It is a sort of petition, but they usually do not rush to fix what is already working well enough. And implementing a drastic change like this may not be as simple as you think. That is why I am addressing this in the way we can fix. We can change the skillset to give buffs that can be toggled by the Vampire to do exactly what I said above.

We cannot change the executable. And until they say they will fix it themselves, we should probably presume that they are not touching it. If they do fix it themselves, it is a trivial detail to roll back the changes we can make.

4. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Just remember, vampirism was at one point overpowered and considered required for melee to function.

If you make the skill do much more health on hit, it will simply be a 1 or 2 point skill that's also overpowered.

5. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

I think attempting to balance "Can't heal" with "heals in a different way" is always going to produce unsatisfactory results, because either it's better than regular healing (Vamps are overpowered!), equal (No point in taking Vamp!), or worse (Vamps are worthless!).

The way to get interesting choices, and interesting synergy, is to take away attribute A (healing) and relpace it with attribute B (something else) instead of replacing A with a different form of A. That's why I suggested buffs to other things like :magic_power:, :counter:, and :dodge:.

Essence likes this.
  6. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Alright so because :life_regen: is hard coded to not work here is my new suggestion for Vampirism. The idea of the build to improve on every build but at the cost of passive healing and food. It might be a bit overpowered.

Level 1: Passive Bonus of 5:life: 1:burliness::sagacity: 2:dmg_piercing: 1:resist_nercomatic::resist_toxic::resist_hyperborean: -1:resist_conflagratory: -2:resist_righteous:. 100% proc on melee that deals 2+ (.1*:magic_power:):dmg_necromatic: and drain life like normal
    Level 2: Corpse Drinker same as it currently is but you gain the Well Fed buff that last 30-40 rounds. The Well Fed buff gives 1:melee_power: :armor_asorb: 2:magic_power: and every 5 rounds heals you 1 hp. It can stack up to three times.
    Level 3: Passive Bonus of 2:resist_transmutative: and 5:dodge: . Mass summong of battys that have little health and deal little damage but have high dodge. Also player turns into batty form.
    Level 4: Passive Bonus of 3:dmg_necromatic: 1:resist_nercomatic:. Psychic Vampire as it is.
    Level 5: Passive Bonus of 1 :resist_nercomatic::resist_hyperborean::resist_toxic::resist_aphyxiative: . A single target missile spell that deals :dmg_necromatic: and drains life with a 15-30:mana: cost. It also has a 50% chance of paralyze and gives the Well Fed buff.

Edit: My biggest problem with this is I can't really see how this helps to kill dreadmor.

Mr_Strange likes this.
  7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, not bad. But what's with the piercing weakness?
    On floor 1, that's going to make it really hard to go anywhere without an iron breastplate spawning really fast.
    If it's to mimic the weakness to being stabbed in the heart, I suppose it would make sense.
    Keep in mind though, -1 to piercing is a death sentence without good piercing resist armor.

I'll see what Omni has to say about this.
    IT looks good though.

8. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

Alright I'll get rid of the -:resist_piercing: because the first floor is already the hardest without adding in no passive healing or food. I got rid of the +:resist_aphyxiative: to pretend to balance.

Edit: yes the -:resist_piercing: is a reference to the pierced in the heart weakness. Just like the 2:dmg_piercing: is a referring to how vampire have fangs.

9. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm still for scaling the effects of at least something using :life_regen: rather than :magic_power: as it makes it easier to build for, doesn't waste the stat like it would, and makes things that use it to regen actually work.

Kazeto likes this.
  10. magicbison

magicbison Member

Wouldn't it scaling to :magic_power: be better as you start with it and it goes up slightly as you level where as :life_regen: you have to find or snag skills that buff you with it temporarily to get moments of better healing.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You can tell that to people who want to play with Vampirism on a warrior build. Most of the time it's easier for them to get more regeneration, because it's available on accessories and stuff, as opposed to magic power which not only is mostly on anything but accessories (and they need their armour and weapons), but is also something that their armours give penalties to.
    And besides, that way the health regeneration bonuses from certain other skills will be of any use to vampires.

12. magicbison

magicbison Member

I find items with :life: rather than :life_regen: more often than not. If vampirism scaled to :life: like Warlockery scales :mana: would it be more viable in the end?

13. Null

Well that could be another viable option. The benefit in :life_regen: is that it can be appropriately given by the skill and balanced however because it has no intrinsic value to a vampire, whereas :life: most certainly does.

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  14. SilvasRuin

SilvasRuin Member

I would favor :life_regen: to give it a use for vampires and to give it its own flavor for them. Making it :life: would make things very strange as it would wind up being best for Warriors but drag down their final stat total, but very weak for wizards when it is in the wizard archetype. :life_regen: is far more neutral. The problems I see with :life_regen: are Vegan (though that would be just as much a problem with :life:), and Emerald Encrusted rings. Though I suppose that's not that big a deal as it requires a more or less specialized build to take advantage of reliably or quickly, and that of course takes away from other potential build options.

15. Null

Those don't have to be the problem because it can be given any scaling at all.

16. SilvasRuin

SilvasRuin Member

Eh, I'm just a little worried that making the scaling on that stat worthwhile might run into problems with how concentrated reliable sources of :life_regen: tend to be. All of the :life_regen: directly or indirectly obtained from skills only comes from four of them, not including Werediggle and the 1:life_regen: from Alchemy. Unless I've overlooked something.

17. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Think of it this way. If vampires and normal adventurers both get some form of healing based off :life_regen: then the choice between vampires and non-vampires would be the choice between permanent, scaling health stealing and the ability to eat food.

Additional proposal: The vampirism effect recovers a fixed percentage of your max HP upon a kill.

18. magicbison

magicbison Member

That would make it a better choice for all classes.

19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

As long as it was a decent amount, otherwise at a low level, you would be overwhelmed by diggles even if they only did 2 damage to you. :)

20. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

The thing is, the stat would still scale off of magic power. Warriors would be getting scaling from master of arms/shield bearer, and mages would get it from fleshsmithing/magic power.

Rogues are a little left out, but... eh.