Interior Dredmorating version 1.2.6.4

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Oh. Weird. I never could get the sword or axe skill to ever destroy a breakable wall.
    At least this saves me from always running mace builds all the time.

2. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...I'd never noticed its 5x5 fire effect break any walls, but I suppose I haven't actually tried...

3. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

The axe skill should break any wall next to you when you trigger it. As for the sword skill, it will destroy breakable walls in a straight line from where you swing it, I think 3 spaces distance but it could have been 2 as it has been a while since I used it. It's been quite a while for the axe skill as well, but I'm pretty sure it does the surround damage.

Then there is the staff skill, it does a 3 by wide by 2 deep blow around your character like shown below.

** ** *** @
    *X@ @X* *X* *X*
    ** ** @ ***

Where @ is you, X is where you swung the staff and * is the damage area.

EDIT: I can't show it anywhere near properly because it keeps deleting random spaces from my attempts to display what I mean. I spent 10 minutes trying to respace everything, making it a code snippet and even making the font Courier New. Everytime it would remove or add a space somewhere in the lines screwing up the text image I was trying to create. Only the first one seems to come out at all.

4. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Type it into Paint, save as jpeg, upload to imgur, profit?

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You can use notepad and use printscreen to capture a screenshot. (Use the Terminal Font to keep it even.)
    Example.jpg

Kazeto likes this.
  6. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I'll use OmniNegro's idea as that is the easiest one to do. For staff hit, the @ is you, the X is where you strike and the *'s are where damage occurs. Damage also occurs at the X just in case any nitpickers (like me) want to nitpick. :)

Staff Hit.jpg

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Okay. I guess I was just doing it wrong. :)
    Again, saves me the pain of having to run 4000 dual-mace users in a row.
    On the other hand, dual-wielding Flail of Peladies that spawn with 2 AA each is fun. :)
    Anyone know a mod that adds the wand of Wands? A wand that hits enemies and creates wands when you hit them?
    "Yo, Dawg, I heard you like Wands, so we made a wand that creates wands so you can use wands when you use wands."

8. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Ooh, staves use the LifeSwrd template. Banjo likes.

9. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

That only when you use the 4th skill on your strike. It's an Area Of Effect skill. Otherwise, staves just hit the one spot you aim for.

10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Hey, bergstrom, just wanted to say that my latest, nearly-successful playthrough kept crashing whenever I tried to go to floor 15, and apparently it's ID's fault.

So, might want to look into that.

11. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Interesting. I've never had that happen, but obviously, floor 15 is the floor that's hardest to explore and test, and the floor I get the least feedback about. I will definitely look into it, and fix anything I find is broken.

Do you have any other data or observations you can share, to help me track it down?
    Which version of ID are you on?
    Are you subscribed via Steam, or did you download the mod from here?
    Do you have any other mods installed?
    Are you using RotDG and/or YHTNTEP?

What in particular makes you suspect the problem is with ID? Was there a specific error message that gave you that impression?

The version of ID that's in general release only adds 2 rooms that are exclusive to that floor, so in theory if there's a repeatable crash upon entering that floor the problem would have to be with one of those 2 rooms. I just checked both, and they look okay to me in the .xml. I know I've been in both of them without crashes...but it's possible I changed something about them since the last time I was in them: there was a lot of editing during the whole YHTNTEP process, with rooms being moved back and forth from one file to the other, and due to a number of factors I haven't played much deep-floor Dredmor since that expansion released. So something could have gotten bulloxed in that process, and slip under my radar. But looking at the files, I just don't see any issues. Everything looks functional on my end.

How old is your machine? Do you experience memory issues with it during play? Does your game slow down a lot when you open up zoos? One of the two rooms on floor 15 is like a zoo, but manually built. It features a lot of different monsters of various levels. Dbaumgart decided not to include it in YHTNTEP because there was a chance it might be too much of a memory hog for some computers, though I've never had any problems with it personally, and my computer's not all that impressive.

If the memory usage of that one room is indeed the problem, you can fix it in your copy. Just open up my rooms.xml and comment-out the room named "Zoo with Everything".* If it's a memory issue, that could fix your game. If it's not the memory issue, that could mess things up worse... but it's the best idea I've got at the moment.

*: Instructions on how to comment it out, in case you don't know:
    1. Open rooms.xml. Search for "Zoo with Everything".
    2. Add "<!--" to the empty line immediately before the "<room width="17" height="11" name="Zoo with Everything">" line.
    3. Scroll down slowly till you see a line that says " </room>".
    4. Add "--!>" to the next empty line after that.

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. Createx

Createx Member

It is most probably ID that causes the crash. I expierenced the same bug, Nicolas confirmed it wasn't the base game that crashed and there were some more people who expierenced the same with only ID installed. I can provide dump files if that helps, once I'm back home.

13. r_b_bergstrom

Did Nicholas say anything else about the crash? Is there a thread about this crash that you can point me to?

14. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

In order:

I did add some skill mods in the middle of my playthrough, but I don't think that should be doing anything to room data, especially not anything that would cause a crash.
    1.2.6.2, and I downloaded from here. Steam Workshop's too buggy for me.
    Oh, I am very much a modpocalypse user:

[​IMG]

I'm using both expansions.

The reason I believe it's ID's fault is because Daynab told me so. That said, I'm in the middle of a run with all of the mods I use other than ID running, so I'll let you know if I crash again doing that.

My machine dates back to 2004 or so, but I don't think I'm having memory issues. Opening doors leading to monster zoos tends to give me a bit of a lag, but it lasts at most five seconds and once the zoo's open I have no problems. And in any event I have four gigs of ram.

15. r_b_bergstrom

It's unlikely, but not impossible. Not only rooms can cause crashes. The most likely causes of a crash upon going down stairs are, in descending order:
    1) Broken room. Most likely, especially if it's a repeating crash.
    2) Broken item that had never randomly spawned before that level.
    3) Broken monster of that level.

You've got a few mods there I've never seen (been gone for most of a month), so I don't know if they add anything of that sort. More Dred adds some late-game items that I haven't seen yet, but not everyone whose had the crash was using it. So I don't know.

Probably this is my problem. Chances are, one of my two rooms on that floor is goofy. I'd prefer not to delete both of them if only one is broken.

Looking over the three threads that you and Daynab linked me to, I see 7 crash reports. 5 of them have ID. All of them are post-YHTNTEP. It certainly seems likely that at least some (but definitely not all) of those crashes are an ID problem, but so far I haven't been able to replicate it. I'll keep poking at it.

Do you still have the save game with ID that was crashing? If so, would you be willing to comment out the room as I instructed in my previous post, and see if it still crashes? That data point would help me out significantly.

16. r_b_bergstrom

I've never actually looked inside the .dmp files the game generates, but at this point I'll try anything. Please send them to me at your earliest convenience. They may give me a clue.

EDIT: Nevermind. Daynab says they won't open unless I gots the super-secret-tech. Dang.

17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

FYI you need something like visual c++ express to look into them, and I have no idea if it's legible for a non coder (I haven't checked myself but things like notepad++ doesn't open them)

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, there are alternate ways opening that stuff, but really, if you don't know how to do it, it's better to leave it alone.

And yeah, opening it with notepad++ won't work, as it's not just a text file.

19. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I did comment out that room, and I did manage to get down to the last floor.

Edit: You mentioned it's a pseudo-monster zoo. Would the fact that there was an actual monster zoo on that floor affect anything?

20. r_b_bergstrom

It shouldn't. It's just a room with over a 100 monster spawn entries. It's like a zoo, but as far as the game is concerned, it's not actually a zoo.

I've done some pretty extensive poking around, and was finally able to replicate the problem a few minutes ago. It's a bus error, caused when the game tries to load that room. My best guess is that calling up that many different monsters causes a memory overflow now.

Weird thing is, I've been in that room half a dozen times, and actually beat the 140-some monsters with two different characters that I can remember off the top of my head. I note however, that all of those plays were before 1.0.11 and YHTNTEP. I haven't actually made it to floor 15 legitimately in YHTNTEP.

The room passes all the xml validators I've run it through. I can't find any typos or other errors. I've used TextWrangler's "find differences" function to compare the current version with the original version that I know for certain was working fine about 6 builds of ID (and two versions of Dredmor) ago, and the changes are minimal and innocuous. There's technically nothing wrong with that room, or at least nothing different about it since the last time I was in it and it worked fine, but using the current build of Dredmor makes it crash.

So, my best guess is that one of the 1.0.11 changes involved allocating less memory for each floor or each room. I know that during the YHTNTEP development process, dbaumgart was constantly removing my off-level monsters from various rooms (a few commented remnants from that process are in the YHTNTEP xml files, IIRC). At the time I didn't understand why he was so worried about it, because my computer still handled all those off-level monsters just fine despite being very slow and laggy whenever a zoo door is opened. Apparently, he knew that large numbers of off-level monsters were going to prove problematic after the update.

Anyhow, the good news is: I know what's causing the problem, and should be able to find the time tomorrow to put up a fix for both of the known bugs in ID. The bad news is, it means I have to entirely delete this room because it won't run under 1.0.11. Oh, well.

mining, lccorp2, OmniNegro and 3 others like this.