Interior Dredmorating version 1.2.6.4

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 11, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Actually I have used Cronomancer. The Grandfather clock is interesting, but the other one is just a bunch of teleports in quick succession. (Unless I am mistaken.)

I still would love a "Teleport to the nearest Brax" spell.

2. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Good point.

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Actually, that's a horrible way to make a reference to the TARDIS's lack of control. The Doctor never teleported himself randomly. :)

In fact, making it teleport you was a really bad idea. There's no reason to give an item that bad of a penalty. It may be extremely powerful, until you find a crownstar, but it's bonuses would not ever negate the horrible curse of random teleportation.

Not to mention, the item didn't reveal that it had the ability to randomly teleport you. Which is something not even rouge-likes do. Even ADOM has a way to tell when you randomly teleport.
    Angband flat out tells you if an item makes you randomly teleport.
    It's immersion breaking, jarring, and confusing.

And really, I could go on about it for about 30 days.

4. r_b_bergstrom

They considered making it be a blue box that used your blue box slot, but scrapped that plan after the "sleeve and barding marketing focus group" report showed the public in general has no sense of humor. :cool:

The point of an homage is a nod or reference, not a perfect duplication. It doesn't have to work exactly the way the original thing did in it's original media and context, it needs to just riff on what was going on there.

For example: Weapons of Mass Destruction, when they actually exist and are actually used, kill tens of thousands and leave the countryside a toxic waste for generations... but you won't hear anyone complaining because the in-game BMD doesn't destroy the entire dungeon in one shot. Why hold the scarf to a higher standard of accuracy than the BMD?

I seem to recall you already did. :p Having the strongest set of lungs does not automatically make you correct, it just makes you loud. I know this well, because I suffer from loudness (and wordiness) myself, but rarely suffer from correctness. :oops: Please take all that in the humorous spirit in which it was intended.

Essence, mining and Glazed like this.
  5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Touche, sir. touche.

Tens of thousands seems to be a bit on the low side though of the damage they do. :)

Valid point.
    I'll stop grumbling about it.
    <Twirls his mustache> Curses, foiled again.

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. r_b_bergstrom

Link to 1.2.6.2

1.2.6.2 is a bug-fix only update. It fixes two borked rooms in 1.2.6, and adds the "require" tag so you can't launch it without RotDG. The goofed up rooms were one that could strand you, and one where several item spawns were happening a space north of where intended. Now you can't get stranded, and the items appear on a conveyor belt instead of in the lava. Or so I think. The day I was doing this was a whirlwind of Steam-related nightmares, so I may have forgotten or imagined changes anywhere in the process. It seems stable, whatever I did or didn't do to it, but it may break saves so don't upgrade till you're starting a new character.

I'll throw in an ID2.0 spoiler while I'm here. This is a shot from a test run. The room is in an unfinished state, and is on way too early of a floor, and the Diggle God statue is too tall, and the buff needs better text and the stats may still need some tweaking... but it's a hint of where things are going.

Pinhead-Test.gif

Essence likes this.
  7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Neat. Are you going to throw in the Hellraiser cube too, somewhere? As another Easter Egg?
    Just curious.
    Looking forward to it.

8. r_b_bergstrom

Cube is already coded, and was at the character's feet a turn or two before that screen shot was taken.

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Nice. Really looking forward to it now. :)
    So, any other horror movies that you might reference?

10. Misterevilcat

Misterevilcat Member

Seem to have gotten stuck in the infinite spawn of unfriendly AIs room on level 3- I can't jump across the lava with my clock work knight skill, and there seems to be no teleport back at all. Is there some hidden breakable wall that I'm not seeing somewhere? Seems a bit unfair to strand me so early when I had no idea what would happen....

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If it is the place I am remembering, there is a breakable wall to the north.

12. Misterevilcat

Misterevilcat Member

Where? I've tried the line hit sword skill pretty much everywhere.

13. Misterevilcat

Misterevilcat Member

The room has a large pool of lava, an assembly line, and a lever you can keep pulling to summon robots over and over if that's any help...

14. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

The wall at the end of the conveyor.

15. r_b_bergstrom

My apologies for getting you stranded there. Walk on the conveyor belt "bridge" to the far west end, and hit the wall south of you.

I intend to get this fixed soon, but I'm way too sick today to edit code, and would probably make it worse if I tried to work on it before my head clears.

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of all the weapon special skills, only the mace one can break breakable walls, right?
    Because I've never been able to break any breakable walls with the axe or the sword skills.
    Maybe I was doing it wrong.

17. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Nope. Any AoE attack that deals at least 1 damage can break fragile walls.

18. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

This includes things that only do AoE at one point in a large chain of effects, by the way. Just about every Promethean spell other than the rune breaks walls.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The rune does too. You just have to trigger it. :)

20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And then it'll break you, in addition to breaking the walls.