Windows Vista/7 64-bit Random FPS loss

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by CanadianSniper, Jun 15, 2012.

1. edit3: Fixed the issue by changing my power plan settings. I have no idea why they were changed in the first place but now everything is working as normal.

--
    I've been noticing that I've been getting a huge hit in fps at random times I play dod. I don't know what causes it but once the fps loss occurs it stays until I quit the game and try playing again later. I first noticed this one time when I was a pyromancer and the dragon's breathe took 4 seconds to complete each time I cast it. Now I seem to always get the fps loss today when I'm walking around, crafting, and looking at my skills.

I have an Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz processor with an Nvidia GeForceGTX 460M graphics card. I play in 1920x1080 resolution with smooth scaling and fullscreen mode. I run the game through steam.

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know of a fix?

edit:
    I recorded a short video to better show this lag issue that won't go away. I don't know what else I can do to explain this bug. If it's a hardware problem on my end I'm sure I would notice it in any other game I play.
    http://www.twitch.tv/danielgames604/b/321742492

You can compare it to another video I streamed in the past. Everything is normal speed is this video.
    http://www.twitch.tv/danielgames604/b/320936308

edit2:
    Not I'm not sure if this is important for bug testing but the whole lag won't ever go away ever again issue happened when I tried this build: rog sci, clockwork knight, tinkering, smithing, wands, alchemy, and crossbows. I figured in THAT run the lag was because I had a lot of crafting professions but nope the lag stuck with me afterwards. Also I never ran mods with DoD.

2. mutated

mutated Member

this happens vaguely randomly to me as well and I have never pinned it down to my computer's other programs (like a surprise virus scan or something). restarts generally work though.

3. Restarting doesn't seem to solve anything. Everything is just so much slower for some reason. I have no idea why. I can run games like deus ex 2 on high quality graphics with a high framerate so it can't be my computer specs. This is really frustrating as it's making this addictingly fun game very tedious to play now. :(

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Deus Ex 2 used Shader Model 2 as the rendering method. It has literally nothing to do with the rendering method of DoD.

DoD has nothing more than software rendering. This is bad for performance, but it is one of the best ways to ensure compatibility. And it works well on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems of all flavors.

Have you tried running "Core Temp" with "Always on Top" checked in the options and see how your CPU usage is while moving around and playing?

5. Ran Core Temp during DoD and temperatures were at or below 50 degrees celsius and the loads only got up to around 30% per core. Arrows and projectiles were still moving really slowly. Movement and certain menues (like crafts and skills) were choppy (I was moving the mouse around during the screenshot and you can see 2 mouse cursors).

In the past a simple restart would solve this issue but now I seem to experience it all the time now. I have no evidence on this claim but I'm suspicious about the Dredmorpedia. Is it loading files from their servers or my own game files? This constant issue started happening soon after I found these forums and checked out that wiki application.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's it working with anothe game just for comparison.

[​IMG]

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Dredmorpedia has its own files, don't worry about that.

I don't really know what to recommend trying other than a reinstall, it's pretty weird.

7. That's no problem. I've been looking for the save files but had no luck. Do you know where the save files are located on steam?

edit: Ygdrad helped me find em on the irc channel :)

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I think they are the same location as the regular saves. Perhaps a subdirectory of the regular C:\Users\Example\Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\ or something similar. I am really unsure.

50 Celsius is a bit high for 30% usage. Not that it should cause any problems. But my Phenom II 955 x4 rarely gets into the 50s under load.
    Core 001.jpg

Oh well. I hope you can adjust your fans to keep it cooler when needed.

9. Reinstalled the game and my saved games are still choppy with slowmo animation :(

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I think this is the same issue I have had since the beginning. DoD is just plainly choppy on even the best systems. There is no real solution. But the gameplay makes up for it. (I hope that is your feeling on the subject too.)

I am drastically off topic, but despite the awful performance, the game is still one of if not the best game made in th last five years. The performance was sacrificed to remain compatible with any system with any OS and any hardware.

I am one of the crazy people that requested that the game have an option to *NOT* play any animations at all. I need no eye-candy. I enjoy the game for the gameplay and challenge of a casual Roguelike.

I wish there was a solution to the choppy gameplay. But there is not. Just enjoy what it has to offer and try to ignore the petty issues it still has. There are more mods to play with than you can possibly play through in the duration of your life. (Since more are being made while you play with those currently available.)

11. That makes me a Sad Panda
    [​IMG]

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Hmmm. That is far more lag than I experience. I have no explanation for why it is so bad. :(

13. Not I'm not sure if this is important for bug testing but the whole lag won't ever go away ever again issue happened when I tried this build: rog sci, clockwork knight, tinkering, smithing, wands, alchemy, and crossbows. I figured in THAT run the lag was because I had a lot of crafting professions but nope the lag stuck with me afterwards. Also I never ran mods with DoD.

14. Fixed the issue by changing my power plan settings. I have no idea why they were changed in the first place but now everything is working as normal.

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Can you specify what exactly you changed? Others could possibly gain the same benefit if they replicate your changes.

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Ah. Thanks you. This I think is one of the plethora of different settings that all do the same thing. I presume you have a Radeon GPU and an Intel 3000 series integrated GPU as well. Battery saving mode switches to the Intel Integrated mode that uses a fraction of the power, but plainly sucks for anything demanding.

(I could be very wrong though.)