The Compleat Essential Skills

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

The poisoner skill nerve toxin and the ninjitsu skill Taijitsu, they both stun on crit? If so, aren't they a bit of an overlap?

edit: can anyone point me to a place where I can see in detail the current specs of the skills? ty.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Lunix Vandal

Lunix Vandal Member

After playing around with Archmage some more, Elemental Archmagic (or more specifically, Archmage+Alchemy) feels OP. Sure, it starts off expensive as heck, but with a single point of Alchemy* and enough Savvy to bottom out the casting cost (why hello there Glorious Power), Water starts returning MP at nearly a 2:1 ratio -- and then there is no reason not to spend the entire rest of the game continuously drunk on Dwarven Gut Rot. Heck, lock yourself in a corner and drink it 99 bottles at a time and the HP debuff will literally evaporate in its entirety 20 turns after you finish the chugfest, leaving you with 2574 turns of glorious drunkenness with no downside. Well, besides the horde of monsters that will be waiting for you when you open the doors back up, but that's what the 2673 MP worth of booze you just guzzled is for.

Kneejerk fix: Make Elemental Archmagic's "Water" effect spawn Dr. Sanin's New-Style Pilsner instead of Sewer Brew. Water then turns a small-yet-consistent profit, but Alchemy can't turn it into an exponentially-growing one-adventurer drinking contest.

*The secondary stat, not the skill. In other words, simply having Alchemy-the-skill gives enough Alchemy-the-stat to take your mana flow over your knee and spank it like an awkward mixed metaphor.

Essence and OmniNegro like this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The only reliable way with every skill in every mod is to open the zip and read the /mod/skillDB.xml and /mod/spellDM.xml files. It is cumbersome at first, but it really is easy to understand. And since things change fast in most mods, this allows you to see the current version with perfect accuracy. (Better than documentation in most cases.)

4. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Member

^ Thanks for the tip.

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Somehow my alerts for this thread got lost, so I totally missed the last like 18 posts.

I will fix True Arcane Glory and modify Water. :)

There is a lot of overlap between Neurotoxin and Taijutsu...I've known that for a long time, but it's never seemed like a big deal. I'll give Taijutsu a little something extra so that it's not entirely obviated by Neurotoxin.

Also, this was posted in the wrong thread:

Can anyone else back this up for me? I've playtested this extensively, and I'm positive it's working for me. TheKirkUnited, are you on a Mac or Linux? And up to date?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Negative buffs to damage doesn't do anything to me either.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Essence

Are you guys sure that it's not a problem with the display on the Character sheet? For example, my weapon in this screenshot only offers 1 :dmg_piercing:, so you'd think that a -1 :dmg_piercing: penalty would mean no point of :dmg_piercing: on the character sheet -- but that's not what happens. Instead, the only place you actually see the damage penalty is in the ticker. As you can see, there's no point of :dmg_piercing: in the ticker, and my damage (total 9) is three points lower than it looks like it should be according to the character sheet (total 11).

That's because there's -1 :dmg_piercing: (which removes the point of :dmg_piercing:) along with -1 :dmg_blast: and -1 :dmg_crushing: , which subtract from my :melee_power: because they're basic damage types and that's how basic damage types work.

Vorpality.JPG

If you guys have screenshots that show that the penalty is actually not showing up in your ticker, I'd love to see them. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Essence

Infiltrator, check out the spoiler in the OP. There's links at the bottom to the complete mechanical specs.

Also, someone on the Steam Workshop said that All-Nighter (Degree in Dungeoneering) was crashing the game for him. Anyone else try that yet?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Sorry, for post in the wrong thread. And no I didn't check the ticker, just the character sheet. I'll recheck this and get back to you.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Essence

Bah. Looks like All-Nighter, as cool as the ideas was, is borked. It works sometimes, and then other times crashed horribly due to memory overflow problems. Probably related to how many monsters happen to be in that massive area or something. I'mma have to completely rip out that power and replace it with something entirely different. :(

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

You could fake it with an anchored template DoT for a smaller radius that follows the player, and give the player a hitbuff that gives the "Awake Now!" buff which keeps the DoT from sleeping them again. Effectively, any monster the player interacts with will function exactly the same as the larger one.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Essence

New version in the OP. As is usual for me these days, I snuck these changes in while my wife thought I was working, so I haven't had time to playtest them. I'm hoping to get to do so before Monday comes, because I told the Steam Workshop I was going to do an update on Monday. if anyone could grab this and test Ninjitsu level 4, Archmage level 1, and Degree in Dungoneering level 6, I'd be very grateful. :)

[edit]Didn't see your post before I made my change, Fax, but came up with a very similar idea. This one hits monsters with a debuff and puts them to sleep, but if they already have the debuff it won't put them to sleep or debuff them a second time. Great minds think alike. :)[/edit]

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I doubt there is any way to fix this now, but for future reference, Practical Magic is almost certainly not a wizard archetype skill, and is probably better placed as a rogue archetype one.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Essence

It's designed that way. It's intended as a wizard/rogue skill.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Doing this as soon as I finish my morning forum spamage. Any particular areas I should focus on?

Essence likes this.
  16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

All-Nighter works as it should. Sometimes things wake up when you attack them though, yet other times they remain asleep while you pound them. I do not know if this is intended or not.

Kiji Kiri works and has a good proc rate for a reasonable passive cost. It is not overpowered, yet worthwhile for throwers. Later on the only thing it procs that is worthwhile is Nerve Staple. The rest would just piss things off more. (Presuming they were not already pissed off.)

Elemental Archmagic seems almost worthless. But it is a level one skill. It stuns and teleports things to the upper left square from where you are, unless that is blocked, then it moves them one square off from that if possible. I tested it a bunch since I still think I am missing something about how it works. Sometimes empty squares targeted with it would burn like the tactical pyre spell. Items targeted would burn too.

I really do not know what I am supposed to test. Nothing crashed. There were no problems that I could detect. Let me know what you need to check and I will try it as best I can.

Essence likes this.
  17. Essence

Ok. All-nighter& Yubijitsu (sorry, not Munich Kiri) for crashes, and try targeting corpses with Elemental Archmagic.

OmniNegro likes this.
  18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Try as I might, I cannot get any of the Ninjitsu skills to crash. All-Nighter seems unable to crash as well. Was there a problem with it?

Corpses disappear when I use Elemental on them. But nothing else seems to happen. (I am at full health. I will try running over some traps to take some damage and see if they heal me or something.)

19. Essence

Ok, perfect. That means I probably just f-ed up the name of Dr. Sannin's Pilsner in the Elemental Magic spell. [edit:yup. I forgot the dash. :oops:[/edit]

All-Nighter should be basically making sure that for about 30 turns, every creature you come across is asleep and debuffed. Because you're awake while they're in their sleep cycle, natch.

Yubi-jitsu is an on-crit proc, so you should be seeing enemies that you crit getting all kinds of screwed. I think it hits them for Paralyze, Blind, Lockdown, and Knock now. :)

I'm also in the process of fixing the last level of Kung Fu, which I never realized that I had broken. Sometimes having 7500 playtesters is a good thing! :)

I should have a new new version up shortly.

OmniNegro likes this.
  20. Essence

New version up -- Pilsner problem corrected; ArchDiggle stance altered. Pretty minor all told, but I want to have this as polished as possible by Monday. :)

OmniNegro likes this.