Arcane Capacitor: Is this how it's supposed to work?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Pleroma, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Pleroma

Pleroma Member

So I'm having an odd problem with the arcane capacitor: I get it up to charged, and swing at an enemy. They die, as you do, but my arcane capacitor keeps charging, as shown below
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is happening while I'm empowered, and powered down. I've also managed to hit an opponent three times without the arcane capacitor discharging. This isn't such a problem, the resultant explosion is quite survivable...but I feel bad for wrecking the dungeon like this.
    If it matters, I'm also having a problem with the Chronomantic Twist, detailed in a thread I should probably get moved down into this subforum.
    What can I do to fix this?

2. Ygdrad

Ygdrad Member

This problem killed my, up until then, more or less invincible warlock. It seems It will go off on hit on the first turn, but anything past that didn't work for me no matter what and I always blew up and then repeatedly chain-exploded for the next while.

3. Pleroma

Pleroma Member

Well, the irritating thing for me is that it only Sometimes happens. Although the number of successful capacitor strikes is much less than the number of failed ones.
    On the upside, manacacolypse's rather poor damage is nicely mitigated by the fact that I am my own Bolt of Mass Destruction

4. Ygdrad

Ygdrad Member

Until this is fixed I can always use Chronomancy's 4th skill to freeze myself while the spell goes bonkers and save myself from potential death.

5. Ygdrad

Ygdrad Member

After looking around in the spell's code, I found the problematic part. When hitting a target, a dot is applied on you which for the next few turns is supposed to remove the Arcane Capacitor's buffs from you, for some reason I have not yet figured out, the application of that dot was unreliable.

I've fixed the spell by adding a second on-hit effect as a fail-safe, which removes the buff in a more direct manner. If you want the fix, you can download the edited spellDB.xml file from here http://www.mediafire.com/?kt3315luy3l8pwd and save it to your "...\dungeons of dredmor\expansion2\game" folder(back up the original first).

Alternatively, you can edit the xml file yourself and add a single line.

find this part
    Code:
    <spell name="Arcane Capacitor" type="self" downtime="12" icon="skills/arcane_capacitor_alt32.png" >
        <buff useTimer="1" time="6" allowStacking="0" removable="0" icon="skills/arcane_capacitor_alt64.png" smallicon="skills/arcane_capacitor_alt32.png">
            <description text="You've started a charging process that will reach a frightfully dangerous magnitude of energies. Be sure to use it before your limit is reached."/>
            <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="No Charge DOT"/>
            </buff>
    and add
    <targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="No Arcane Charge For You!" />
    under the "<targetHitEffectBuff percentage="100" name="No Charge DOT"/>" line.

6. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Oh snap! Somehow we made through two months of beta and no one noticed that the No Arcane Charge DoT is resistable!

Hahahahahahahaaaaa.....yeah, I'll point that out to David now. :)

7. Pleroma

Pleroma Member

To be fair, we're all a bit busy going "Hmmm...odd, I appear to be about to explode."
    Although it is delightfully survivable