Humble Bundle V

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Daynab, May 31, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This I have not really considered because I think it is a slippery slope that cannot be relied upon. When I buy an indie game, I expect a few hours of good gameplay and am very happy if I can play it a few days. DoD was the massive exception to this. I have played more DoD than any game I remember playing. And even having bought it several times, I still have not paid as much as most garbage retail big name games.

I still think Airmech is a bait and switch. It may well be a good game, but I only bought the bundle to see if the games were any good and Dead Pixels was not. he only other game in the bundle I had any interest in was Airmech, but just seeing a store makes me think it is doomed from the start. I really could be wrong. I do not recall exactly what the store had. Perhaps others here can tell. As I said, I gave it to another here on the forums.

I wasted $7. Oh well. I will live. :)

2. blob

blob Member

Oh Airmech might completely be garbage ! I remember seeing you can buy XP points on their store which is the lamest thing you can do. I'm pretty sure progression will be terribly grindy and slow by default.

I havent played any of the games of this bundle yet but I mainly got it for lazercat. I mean... Laser. Cat.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Buying XP... How sad. That spells doom for the game. They have a vested interest in making experience unobtainium except when you pay cash for it.

I deem Airmech the newest Horse-Armor game. :)

4. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

i remember buying psychonauts and a whole bunch of games for $2 dollars back in the steam Xmas sales for the sole purpose to farm achievements for coal to trade for other good games.

its a shame the humble bundle works as a "unit",i at least wanted to trade the extra copy of psychonauts for a TF2 hat or some refined =(

P.S: ill take all those extra copies of the ship =D

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If you actually want them I will give them to you. I have no need or purpose for them.

Can you actually make use of more than one copy though?

Oddly there seem to be no actual extra keys like it says there should be. I checked the e-mail carefully too. Anyone know what is up with this?

See what I mean? bundle.jpg Ship.jpg

6. TheJadedMieu

TheJadedMieu Member

When you add the key to your Steam account, it adds the extra copies to your Steam Inventory for you to gift to friends.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Ah! Thanks. Since I do not use Steam, that makes it even more useless for me. Good thing I gave the original key to Cream Magneto. :)

8. blob

blob Member

Thanks for the screenshot OmniNegro, made me discover a new game had been added (Ichi)

9. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

i got an extra steam copy by redeeming that code if anypony wants to play it too.

right now im all about playing the hell out of YHTNTEP =)

10. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I feel like someone should mention, in the context of this thread, that they've added Braid, Super Meat Boy and Lone Survivor to the bundle now. I wouldn't have known HIB V was out unless I read this, and others might be the same.

Loswaith likes this.
  11. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

The reason I found out about the additions to Humble Bundle V was I was in the chat and someone mentioned it. Otherwise it would have waited until I was surfing my websites last thing last night. Two different websites that I visit daily mentioned the additions. :)

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Just a heads up for others who may care, there is another Indie Royale now.

It has exactly nothing I care about though. (And in reality, I regret buying the last one since I only played a few of the games a few minutes each except Dead Pixels that I played a few awful hours. But it is not too bad of a price either way.)

Should I have started a new thread for this? Your call Gaslamp Games. Feel free to do it if you think it would be better that way.

13. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It's fine really. The other bundles are more minor (but often cool) little games.

14. blob

blob Member

Escape Goat in the new Indie royal is a great puzzle / platformer game by a buddy of mine. He makes the whole game alone, even the really cool soundtrack.

Also, I am in the credits (under the name blob), so please buy it just for that reason :)

Daynab likes this.
  15. Tycho

Tycho Member

Hack, Slash, Loot is a pretty awesome little bit of indieness, wonder if they'll get on the bundle bandwagon at some point.

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I find it to be a pretty mindless rogue-like -- not that that's totally a bad thing, but it really doesn't have the strategy and tactics that most of the better roguelikes do -- 90% of it is just luck. Plus they do a really dumb thing -- you start off with some extremely weak class choices, and you have to unlock further classes by playing, with an ever-increasing number of games (unless you are really weird and actually win with a weak character). So dumb as it is, a really valid strategy is to die on purpose multiple times as quickly as you can, so that you can unlock a character that actually has a decent start.

Imho, it's a deeply flawed game. But it will kill a few minutes for you here and there.

17. Tycho

Tycho Member

Regarding the classes - I played Tourists and Arcs in NetHack, the "power" of a character is not necessarily chief among my concerns. I will agree that it's certainly nowhere near as deep as some other roguelikes but it doesn't pretend to be any deeper either, and while the RNG and luck hold great sway in HSL that's also the case with a great many other games I have played (POWDER especially).

18. blob

blob Member

I personally couldnt be bothered with HSL after 5 minutes of trying it for the reason Haldurson said, especially for that price. I just wanted to add: Tourist class is definitely not a weaker class than others in Nethack. Actually I dont think there is a weak class in Nethack. Even if they start with fewer skills they have the potential to improve in a way wider way than any others making them very adaptable to the randomness of the dungeon.

19. Tycho

Tycho Member

Tourist does not reach highest level of skill with any weapon type save for darts which are largely useless unless poisoned, and daggers and shortswords (daggers are very handy and a better ranged solution than most others, but shortswords are largely worthless as they have middling damage at best and have no artifact - p sure Orcrist is an elven BROADsword and it's crappy anyway). They can reach skilled in Escape magic, which IS a very handy spell school, but lack the spellcasting affinity and hungerless casting of the wizard making the highest level Escape spells a dicey proposition, casting success % wise. They have a rough start with shops, as they are forced to pay more for goods and get less on resale (though with a trained thief-pet that becomes less of an issue). They can only be Neutral barring conversion (which is a bad idea even after you complete their special quest). They can reach skilled in Unihorn wielding and two-weapon fighting, both of which are very nice. Their quest artifact IS absolutely awesome. They don't get intrinsic poison resistance for a WHILE, which is annoying - but I usually just grabbed the intrinsic ASAP by eating, anyway. Another thing to keep in mind is that they get neither the awesome HP scaling of the warrioresque classes nor the great MP scaling of the Wizard. Tourist is not a powerhouse in anything and would not really be a jack of all trades either - certainly a role you can ascend with but it won't be as "easy" (relative term) as it would be with the ubiquitous Barbarian, Valkyrie and Wizard.

20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

My memory fails me. I honestly do not recall if I ever ascended a tourist. I know I got through the quest though, and that is far enough to be considered a lesser win in my book. My first Nethack Ascension took me two years to manage. That is blazing fast for the uninformed. I managed at least a handful each of Wizard and Monk ascensions.

(Monks are only in Slash'Em. That is a variant of Nethack that is wickedly hard. If you think commercial games are hard I would laugh in your face and call you names, having managed Ascensions in Slash'Em. I have my bragging rights for it. :))

I absolutely abused everything I could in Slash'em and the average run still took months of nearly constant play. Easily nine out of every ten characters died due to one single mistake. The game teaches patience. Hardcore patience.

Demogorgon killed at least half my characters if they survived long enough to see that horror.

When playing any character other than a tourist, (And only if I was Neutral) I would use my first wish for "Blessed Platinum Yendorian Express Card". It is a lockpick that can be reused forever. Awesome item. If playing a tourist, or a good/evil character you cannot wish for it though.

*Edit* More accurately, you could wish for it, but it would not be usable by you.