The Steam Workshop and You: A Guide

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Daynab, Mar 29, 2012.

1. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Are you on Vista, like I am? Try running it as an administrator instead of just running it.

2. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

Windows 7. Running as administrator does not help (nor does launching Steam as administrator.)

3. FaxCelestis

So, to be clear: you made a shortcut to the game (the .exe that ends in (Steam), set the -publisher flag on it, and then ran that shortcut as an administrator?

4. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

Where would I find this ".exe that ends in (Steam)"? The shortcut I'm using points to '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\Dungeons of Dredmor.exe" -publisher', which is the only Dredmor .exe I'm familiar with.

5. FaxCelestis

There's another .exe in that folder that's called Dungeons of Dredmor (Steam).exe.

6. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

Nnnnnnnnnope.

Guess I'll try reinstalling the game and seeing if this mystery second exe appears.

7. delta534

delta534 Member

Try this, in your game library in steam,
    • right click on Dungeon of Dredmor,
    • go to properties,
    • click on the button that says select launch options
    • put -publisher flag in place for text
    • hit ok
    • run the game.

8. Gabriel P

Gabriel P Member

Thanks, that did the trick!

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

That's been gone for a while, it's only one exe these days.

10. Chiko

Chiko Member

I was having this issue as well. Thanks!

11. Chiko

Chiko Member

Gah! I can't publish a mod. It says "Your mod doesn't appear to be valid."

So that means I'm doing something wrong when packaging it... I have read the manuals but don't know what I'm doing wrong, though.

12. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I think that might be Glazed's mod validator. It checks your syntax and such. It isn't perfect but it can point out problems for you. I would say either download it and try it yourself or have Glazed run your mod through and see what is causing the problem.

13. Chiko

Chiko Member

Oh... so it also checks the XML files. Then that might be the problem. A couple of spells work... in a sneaky manner. Maybe the publisher option is detecting them as game breaking strings or something like that. Also, I tried using the validator but it closes itself after like 10 seconds for some reason.

14. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I haven't used the validator. I don't have the libraries, I think it's .NET, so I haven't tried it out. I just saw the validation message when I published my mod last time and figured GLG might have added it to the publishing code for steam. It's just a guess of mine but I figure it's a good chance. Also, I don't think it cares how sneaky your code is, I think it checks to see that opening statements are closed and that there aren't any misspellings or such. I could be totally off but it's something to at least check before someone who does know can get back to you. Good Luck. :)

15. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Just in case y'all aren't aware, if someone starts spamming in your comments section (like the "free steam games" guy), you can always delete the spam posts with a single click (you have to be logged in, natch.) I don't know how many posts he's spamming, but I've seen him on CES, ID, and Meltdown, and it's kind of annoying.

OmniNegro and Kazeto like this.
  16. Chiko

Chiko Member

Yeah. If only there was a real "block user" button... I have been tempted to spam the content in its links with mine. :3

17. Semigall

Semigall Member

As far as i understand, the mod that i 'subscribed' should show up in the mod loader, when launching game, correct ?

Well i don't see any changes.

Is there maybe some other way how to install these mods from that cr*ppy workshop thingy ?

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Steam's Workshop is a fickle little bugger.

You cannot reliably get it to do anything but fail epically.

I suggest once you get the mods you want working, exit the game immediately and copy the mods over to the non-steam mods area and rename the .dat to .zip and you should have defeated it. You will have to disable the Steam Workshop subscriptions or else it will try to double them. But at current, due to Steam being a dick, this seems the best solution.

19. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Or you could just download the mods you want here and put them into your mods folder. Just go to the modding forum and then the mod subforum. The easiest is the completed mod thread in that forum. That will show you mods that are supposed to be working and take you to the threads that have the files you need.

Warning: Some people don't zip the mods properly so you may need to unzip the file to get the mod working.

20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

If you find one that is not zipped properly, please post and notify them of this. This is usually a trivial thing to fix, but not everyone knows how to make the zips correctly.

Even really, exceptionally talented modders sometimes presume the game needs the mods unzipped to work. It just never occurs to them that they can zip it.