[Skill] Mutant [BETA]

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Aegho, May 14, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

No cheap shot intended; your solution certainly works well, too. :)

2. Quill

Quill Member

Thanks, Aegho for your help ! :)

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Actually, it's not a cheap shot but rather a way of balancing abilities without changing their effect. If something is more useful, then it's only normal that it should be a higher-tier ability.

Still, you are right, improving higher-tiered skills instead of moving this one higher is probably the way to go.

4. Aegho

Aegho Member

I thought it was a cheap shot because I was basically complaining about my own skill being fairly weak in levels 3-5, which made the second level skill the best one, so he told me to make it the capstone. Level 4 is probably still to be considered quite weak even after the improvement, but it's one I don't want to risk making too good.

I may eventually nerf Frog Jump. Possibly by having a subspell that's beammissile or similar so that it's stopped by physical objects, it's meant to jump over water/lava, not through obstacles.

As a sidenote I need to figure out one more skill level(either as a new capstone or another intermediate step, bumping the capstone up a step), 5 skills is on the small side(6 seems to be a good number).

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

^^ That sounds like a clever way to separate Frog Jump from other teleports.

6. Aegho

Aegho Member

The main problem with beammissile teleport is that it's graphically stupid. (You teleport in single steps every square the beam goes over, except water/lava which is skipped), playing the default teleport animation every single time.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I would prefer an overpowered teleport that goes exactly where you want rather than the graphical idiocy that is required by the current version. People who want a harder game can refuse to use it. Function trumps balance every time as far as I can tell.

8. Aegho

Aegho Member

Minor bug update.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

There is a problem. The skills are not selectable in the current version. I would revert back, but the previous version had the same name and I overwrote it in my backup.

Here is a screenshot. mutant.jpg

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Here. I just removed the spellDB.xml and renamed the spellDB.xml.working.txt to that. This version works.

It looks like this was what you intended. The original spellDB.xml had no base damage and only scaling for unhealthy glow. And it lacked the following lines at the beginning and end respectively.
    <mutantSkills>
    </mutantSkills>

*Edit* Removed the file since your file below works.

11. Aegho

Aegho Member

That's odd... I'll go bugchecking. Note that the no base damage and only scaling is intentional. It keeps it at roughly the same power level on lower levels, but makes it not become so useless at later levels.

12. Aegho

Aegho Member

Unable to reproduce your bug omninegro, I advice you simply update to the latest version(which is in the original post).

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The original post spellDB.xml has the following:
    Code:
    <spellDB>

<spell name="Prickly Defense" type="target" icon="skills/rogue/skill_lockpicking2_32.png" >
      <description text="Those embarassing growths are useful sometimes."/>
      <effect type="damage" piercing="2" piercingF="0.2" primaryscale="3" />
      </spell>

<spell name="Workaround" type="self" >
      <description text="Damn requirebuff stuff."/>
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Radiate" requirebuffontrigger="1" requirebuffontriggername="Unhealthy Glow" />
      </spell>

<spell name="Radiate" type="template" templateID="20" anchored="1" icon="skills/aetherweaver32.png" >
      <description text="Radiation hurts."/>
    <effect type="damage" aetherealF="0.35" primaryScale="0" requirebuffontrigger="1" requirebuffontriggername="Unhealthy Glow" />
      </spell>

<spell name="Frog Leap" type="rook" downtime="4" icon="skills/rogue/leap32.png" wand="0">
      <effect type="teleport"/>
      <description text="Make like a frog."/>
      </spell>

<spell name="Fresh Meal" type="self" icon="skills/rogue/leap64.png" wand="0">
      <effect type="heal" amount="0" amountF="0.10" secondaryScale="0"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="Eat Corpse" type="targetadjacentcorpse" downtime="17" icon="skills/spells/unholy_warcry32.png" >
        <description text="You like to partake in the occasional long pork."/>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Fresh Meal" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60"  sfx="blast" centerEffect="0"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="Unhealthy Glow" type="self" icon="skills/aetherweaver32.png" >
      <description text="You've absorbed so much radiation that you glow in the dark. CAUTION: REMOVE BEFORE APPROACHING BRAX!"/>
      <buff useTimer="0" removable="1" bad="0" stacksize="1" allowStacking="0" icon="skills/aetherweaver64.png" smallicon="skills/aetherweaver32.png">
    <halo name="sprites/sfx/hero_glow/hero_glow" framerate="300" first="0" num="3" />
      <secondarybuff id="18" amount="1"/> <!-- sight -->
      </buff>
      <effect type="dot" amount="-1" spell="Workaround" resistable="0" self="1" affectsCaster="1" requirebuff="1" />
      </spell>

</spellDB>
    But it needs to have this to work.

Code:
    <spellDB>

<mutantSkills>

<spell name="Prickly Defense" type="target" icon="skills/rogue/skill_lockpicking2_32.png" >
      <description text="Those embarassing growths are useful sometimes."/>
      <effect type="damage" piercing="2" piercingF="0.2" primaryscale="3" />
      </spell>

<spell name="Workaround" type="self" >
      <description text="Damn requirebuff stuff."/>
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Radiate" requirebuffontrigger="1" requirebuffontriggername="Unhealthy Glow" />
      </spell>

<spell name="Radiate" type="template" templateID="20" anchored="1" icon="skills/aetherweaver32.png" >
      <description text="Radiation hurts."/>
    <effect type="damage" aetherealF="0.35" primaryScale="0" requirebuffontrigger="1" requirebuffontriggername="Unhealthy Glow" />
      </spell>

<spell name="Frog Leap" type="rook" downtime="4" icon="skills/rogue/leap32.png" wand="0">
      <effect type="teleport"/>
      <description text="Make like a frog."/>
      </spell>

<spell name="Fresh Meal" type="self" icon="skills/rogue/leap64.png" wand="0">
      <effect type="heal" amount="0" amountF="0.10" secondaryScale="0"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="Eat Corpse" type="targetadjacentcorpse" downtime="17" icon="skills/spells/unholy_warcry32.png" >
        <description text="You like to partake in the occasional long pork."/>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Fresh Meal" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="60"  sfx="blast" centerEffect="0"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="Unhealthy Glow" type="self" icon="skills/aetherweaver32.png" >
      <description text="You've absorbed so much radiation that you glow in the dark. CAUTION: REMOVE BEFORE APPROACHING BRAX!"/>
      <buff useTimer="0" removable="1" bad="0" stacksize="1" allowStacking="0" icon="skills/aetherweaver64.png" smallicon="skills/aetherweaver32.png">
    <halo name="sprites/sfx/hero_glow/hero_glow" framerate="300" first="0" num="3" />
      <secondarybuff id="18" amount="1"/> <!-- sight -->
      </buff>
      <effect type="dot" amount="-1" spell="Workaround" resistable="0" self="1" affectsCaster="1" requirebuff="1" />
      </spell>

</mutantSkills>

</spellDB>
    The mutantSkills parts are essential. Without them you get no spells for your skill points. I am baffled how this could work for you but will not for me.

14. Aegho

Aegho Member

The mutantSkills part is actually completely superflous, all it does is act as a marker for people reading the spellDB, mainly useful if there's multiple skills in the mod, but there's not so...

Of note, what you're describing should only happen if there's a missing /> or something like that somewhere, but the mod XML validator says it checks out. "No errors! Congratulations!"

I guess another possible reason could be a mod conflict with skill IDs, but that usually does other weird things.

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Try it for yourself. I could not get it working, but it works fine when it has those mutantSkills parts in there. I know it checks out as correct, but in the game the skills are unavailable without that. (I do not understand why.)

16. Aegho

Aegho Member

Neither do I, since they should be unnecessary and it works fine for me. Of note: The XML mod validator actually complains about those lines!

17. Aegho

Aegho Member

Try this just in case. Those lines are back, but otherwise it's the latest version.

Attached Files:

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Odd. That version does zero damage with Unhealthy Glow. But the skills do show up. And even the bonus to :sight:. Just the :dmg_aethereal: seems lacking. I do not understand. :(

19. Aegho

Aegho Member

I'm beginning to suspect you need to reinstall the game due to corrupt files. Or you can try redownloading that latest link, I briefly had an erroneous one up there(maybe 30 seconds), so just in case you downloaded in that brief window.

20. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I must have ninja grabbed the bad file. It works now. :) (And it is a different size from the last time I grabbed it.)