[Skill] Disciple of Chaos 1.0.9

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by ChristmasAsen, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Then specify it. Many problems in IT are there just because someone "forgot" to say something that was important. I know that going out of your way to be as helpful as possible is a waste of time in most cases, but the very least you could've done was give *some* details. There was a solution to the problem you seem to have, posted in this very thread, and if you wanted to get anything more instead of an irate IT-guy, you could have stated that you see the solution but don't know how to apply it/are afraid to do something wrong.

And since I just say that, to be of any help instead of being an ass, I'll say this: whenever you get an error message about some icon missing, you can copy another icon of the same size (that is easily differentiated by whether said icon ends with "32", "64", or neither) and change the name of the copy so that it matches the one you got on the error message. The copy can be placed either in the game's icon folder ("/skills", now it's all dependant on whether you know where the game folder actually is), or in the corresponding folder of the mod (depending on whether you install mods packed or unpacked, that might not be viable [in the first case it isn't, in the second it is]), as the game checks both locations for files.

That is not a justification, though I'll do accept that it is not your fault the mod requires icons from the expansion. Still, even that does not justify not stating what *exactly* your problem is. You stated what your problem was *allegedly*, and I gave you the solution to the problem you stated you have, while chiding you for not being able to use the solution I posted. That you saw the solution and weren't able to use it, and thus that your problem is different from the one you stated you had, is something I couldn't know because I'm not a mind reader and you didn't give me enough information.

This is irrelevant, to be honest. Whether you have a problem and whether you are able to do anything about it is not reliant on your completion of the game.

IT guy's intuition. If you haven't been able to ask properly, then you couldn't get through the first problem. You can call me an ass for that if you want to, I don't really mind.

That being said, if you do have any questions or want a more hands-on walk through the process, you can ask and I'll reply; just be sure to write what is it that you have problems with, what is your OS, how did you get your copy of DoD (I mean, whether you got it from Steam/Desura/anywhere else), and possibly how you installed your mods, but the last one is optional.

Just try to be more specific whenever you want someone's help and you should be fine. For the record, if there's anything you have tried on your own, or if there's anything you aren't sure you can do, it's good to write about it. The same about the solutions you have tried, and about those you have seen but have yet to try.
    Writing about that is good for two reasons. First, it makes the guys who know how to help you more sympathetic, because they know you aren't being lazy and actually exerted an effort. And second, it's just easier to help if you have more information about the problem, especially if we aren't there directly.

tl;dr: Just try to include more information when you write, since it's difficult to help if you don't know enough. Also, the solution is near the top, I hope it helps any.

2. Eliont

Eliont Member

Crash on start - can't load png that seems in right plase.

I use Realm of Diggle Gods and don't use Trikster.

3. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

What file, what is the error message, what OS, and did you try the solution posted on the previous page of this thread?

4. Eliont

Eliont Member

Error - "Can't load PNG", not "Can't find". File - almost all in "Disciple Of Chaos\skills" and it subfolder, if i replace files with other icons, it works, but original icons seems in incompatible format for Windows version of DoD.
    10-02-31(21,05,12).jpg

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And that means your DoD has a problem with png indexing - it's easy to fix by opening the images with anything (even Paint will do), re-indexing them, and then saving.
    Do you want more specific instructions, or is that enough to fix it?

Eliont likes this.
  6. Eliont

Eliont Member

Thanks. After batch convert from png to png =)) using FastStone Image Viewer mod loads without any error.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

The main issue with this mod is that its packaged as a .rar file...

8. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

What is indexing?

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'll just say it pertains to colours and to the way ".png" files' data is saved.

If you want a more accurate answer, just go to wikipedia or to any web browser, really (frankly, I don't have enough time to explain it in a way someone who doesn't know about it would understand).

10. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Well how do I fix it then?

You said it could be fixed in Paint.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Depends on what "Paint". You need something that can change "colours" into indexed and back. And you simply do that, only start with indexed (the faultily read indexed from GIMP or whatever else it was), go into non-indexed, and then into indexed again. And you save the file after that.

12. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I recall Fax mentioning you could just open them up in http://pixlr.com/ and save them back.

Kazeto likes this.
  13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, if the program in question calculates the values for colour indexing on saving, then yes, just opening and saving them works and for a good reason.

Essence likes this.
  14. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Can someone else please explain how to fix this?

Also, is indexing the same as bit depth?

15. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

GIMP is not Paint.

But that aside, do you mean to say that we need to to open the file in GIMP, select Image-->Mode-->RGB and then overwrite the original?

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

What I meant is irrelevant here, because quite frankly (and quite rudely, as admitting such a thing would count as rude), I lost my desire to help with this particular issue once it became clear that I am incapable of explaining it in a way that you would understand and you did not appear to be willing to search for missing information on your own.

To further prove what I am saying, this is the post right after the first one of mine about indexing being a problem:
    Which means there is at least one user who had no problems with fixing it, and who wrote what is it that he did in order to fix it. And yet I had to answer again and again, with no results.

I don't mind answering questions. I don't mind guiding someone by hand if there really is a need for it and if I can. But in this case I have given up. Try the solution Eliont posted, finding any necessary information on your own, and if that fails then I will try to help. But only if you legitimately try and it fails.

17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

GIMP is specifically broken for that sort of thing. Sprites made in GIMP just won't work, for example. Just open the image in pixlr.org, save it again and it should work.

Kazeto likes this.
  18. Nani

Nani Member

Worked like a charm. Thanks! :)

Kazeto likes this.
  19. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

Is there any way of mass converting a group of files?

ALSO: Is there any other program I can use that I can actually download locally to my computer?

Do the sprites need to be converted too?

(Its not important, as I figured out how to just do all the folders at once anyway, but I'd still like to know)

Regardless of whether they're done in RGB mode or indexed mode?

ALSO: Is this bug going to be addressed in future patches? Ultimately the problem is on the game's end, not ChristmasAsen's, as Dungeons of Dredmor seems to be the only program that can't read these files. (Failing that could you make a program that can an image's compatibility with Dungeons of Dredmor?)

20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Bohandas, this:
    I do not know if you are unaware of it or merely ignoring what was posted in this thread, but "batch" in this case means it can be done en masse. So unless there really is anything stopping you from using this (free, I checked so I am certain of it) program to do this, just download it and get it done.

Yes. Because (as I posted somewhere earlier in this thread using different wording) the files need to be indexed and indexing in GIMP isn't working properly, or at least not when it comes to files which are to be read by DoD.