OS X Snow Leopard Vanishing armor absorption?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by madcow, Apr 13, 2012.

1. madcow

madcow Member

I noticed something really weird on my melee character. My armor absorption seems to be steadily going down, and I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. Without having any debuffs to lower my :armor_asorb:, I've noticed it was lower than it should be. Then over the course of playing, I noticed this get lower. Right now (unbuffed), its at 5 :armor_asorb:. My equipment includes Embossed Serpentine platemail, pants of shiny steel plates, and various other pieces of equipment (should total 17 :armor_asorb:). If I remove equipment I can see it go down (Bottoming out at 0) as it should be

I have berserker rage (up to berserker rage), dual wielding (up to offensive maneuvering), swords (up to Overhau), artful dodger (up to knightly leap), master of arms (thick skin), alchemy (transmuter), and forging (fully trained). I'm on dungeon level 6 at the moment.

All I can think of as a cause is some weird bug interaction with berzerker buffs wearing off? Possibly while autosaving or something.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Can you upload your save?

3. madcow

madcow Member

Here, I put in some screenshots that might help show what I'm talking about better (and has all my stats)

2012-04-13_00005.jpg
    2012-04-13_00007.jpg
    2012-04-13_00011.jpg
    2012-04-13_00012.jpg

Edit: Sure, where do save files go?

4. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Put it in a .zip and attach it to this thread.

5. madcow

madcow Member

Here, I've included all my save data zipped. Its the save file turnus, but I copied everything just to make sure I got it all.

Attached Files:

6. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Just a data point for the devs when they're trying to track this bug down:

I've had this problem happen to just one of my characters in my 500+ hours of play. That character had Berserker Rage and Master of Arms as well. Both are skills I rarely take, so I found myself wondering if their procs weren't somehow the cause of it. I got the achievements for completing them on that character, so I'd never had the last couple levels of either before. I never posted a bug report because I couldn't rule out that it too wasn't a result of my screwed up almost-RC9 build I had at the time.

When it happened to me, it impacted my Melee Power as well as Armor Rating, as described (by someone else) in: http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/stats-like-melee-power-not-working.2353/. I note that in that thread as well, the person filing the bug report there also has Berserker Rage (can't tell if he has Master of Arms or not).

So, all three of us are on Mac, and all have Berserker Rage. That's a good place to start.

EDIT: I just realized, all three of us had Dual Wield as well. But I use Dual Wield so often, it would surprise me if that were the source of the problem that's so rarely afflicted me.

Daynab likes this.
  7. madcow

madcow Member

I just noticed my melee power is lower than it should be as well. I don't have any points in master of arms, so my guess is that its an interaction between dual-wield and berserker rage buffs.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

That's consistent with what other people were saying. They'll look at it. Hopefully we can eliminate this bug once and for all.

9. saneman

saneman Member

Good luck on eliminating these bugs in time for the next patch. I look forward to the day I can beat Perma-Death on Rogue. Bugs have prevented attempts thus far.

10. Lobo

Lobo Member

I just ran into this awful bug. My melee character was doing just fine until midway through dungeon level 5, when suddenly my melee power was reduced permanently to 1, and my armor absorption was about halved. My character died a few rooms after I noticed the bug, so I can't upload a save this time.

This seems to mirror exactly the Necronomiconimcs stat-altering bug—except this one is even worse, since whereas Necronomiconomics grants obscene bonuses to life points and health regen, this one removes from melee characters the two stats most essential to their success.

I was using Berserker Rage, Master of Arms, and Dual Wield. I'm running the base 1.0.10 with RODG active.

These stat-altering bugs have now ruined four of my characters... from my point of view version 1.0.10 is fundamentally broken in a way that I haven't seen in quite a while. I have grown rather frustrated that the beta patches are so quick to appear, while I (who am uninterested in manually applying patches, and often can't anyway since I play the Mac version) have been left for weeks on end with a broken base version of the game.

11. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

So this has been around forever, and nobody seems to be able to tell me, concretely, what the heck is causing it. I've heard "play necronomics", but necro has nothing special in it. I've heard "melee", but melee doesn't have anything special in it. So I'm beyond puzzled. I literally spent all of Friday morning playing Necro games and trying to get it to trigger, albeit with no avail.

So if *anybody* has any info on this, I'd *really* love a set of base reproduction steps. Ideally we can close this for 1.0.11 but I'll be damned if I even have a lead on what's causing it. I do know that the last set of save games I looked at had some guy with a counterattack that was .... er, something like -23, apparently caused by bad buffs. RC5 will yell at you if the game engine tries to delete a buff without first deapplying it, which I *think* is the culprit, but I'm not really sure because, again, I can't reproduce this.

So, yeah - I'm beyond frustrated too.

Exile likes this.
  12. FaxCelestis

My theory is that Dual Wield is causing buffs to be decremented twice when they wear off, when they're only applied once on trigger.

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Okay, got any evidence to support this theory? I'm happy to look at it, although I don't see why that would be the case immediately...

Exile likes this.
  14. FaxCelestis

No, just circumstantial. I haven't had it happen, but everyone I've seen has mentioned taking Dual Wield. Sometimes Berserker, sometimes Necronomics, but always Dual Wield.

15. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

The most common combo I've seen this with is Dual Wield, Berserker Rage, and Master of Arms. I've never seen it start happening before the 7th or 8th floor, so it's not something that's likely to kick in if you just go to play test for an hour or so.

I suspect you need to save the game with a buff on, exit and reload before it will trigger. Max out all three of those skills, quit right after a fight while you've got a couple proc buffs on, and when you reload the game you should be hosed.

Everyone whose complained was on either Mac or Linux, so break out that Mac mini Nicholas. I don't think it happens on PC.

16. madcow

madcow Member

I tried playing (on my mac) with my character from the save I posted up in post#5 with my character screen info up. At one point during a fight with an unhealthful golem while I had a bunch of zerker procs up I noticed my AA seemed to drop and once the zerk buffs ran out it was at 3 instead of 5. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't paying enough attention to know exactly what caused it, so I'll give it another more thorough run through paying closer attention to see what might cause it.

On a related note, is there any way to see how many times you have the same stacking buff procced? That would be helpful in trying to track what my AA should be compared to what it actually is.

17. FaxCelestis

Oh, do you think it has to do with stacking buffs removing once per each instance of a buff instead of once when expiring?

18. madcow

madcow Member

I've no clue, it might. But also it would be easier to pinpoint exactly when the drop happens if I can count current stacks of a buff rather than just knowing I have at least one stack. Is there a way and I'm just missing it?

19. Lobo

Lobo Member

The Necronomiconomics version of this bug has hit me three times recently *without* Dual Wield. Most recently my skills were: Necro, Fleshsmithing, Astrology, Blood Magic, Ley Lines, Burglary, and Emomancy.

All three times it has happened to me, I've used these same five core skills: Necro, Fleshsmithing, Astrology, Blood Magic, Ley Lines. (My remaining two skills have varied.) Each time the bug has struck on dungeon level 2 or 3, not long after I had made a beeline to Tenebrous Rift and started casting it at everything that moved.

20. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Which is because it happens if you have buffs (or debuffs) active when you are levelling up.

OmniNegro likes this.