Might and Magic.

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Apr 28, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

In my never humble opinion, HoMM started at the same time they stopped making the M&M games that were worth playing. I entirely blame HoMM since they persist while the good M&M games do not.

You say they did not replace and were never meant to replace them? Well explain why they stopped making them at the exact moment they started making the HoMM games? Coincidence? Perhaps. I think otherwise.

2. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

At first that is your opinion and opinion does not equal fact. Also MM games as they are, would be by today's standards called uberhardcore (and other more oldschool RPGs hyperultrauberhardcore). You know, dumbing down appealing to the masses. People want MM games, sure. But they are a minority. HoMM games still have large popularity, but they have been dumbed down too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Computing#Published_works

1993 - MM 5
    1995 - HoMM
    1997 - HoMM 2
    1998 - MM6
    1999 - HoMM3
    1999 - MM7
    2000 - HoMM Chronicles
    2000 - MM8

Either your HoMM hate is blinding you or there is something wrong with you :p
    Also the HoMM games expand the story in other ways as the MM games. Or do you think that HoMM 3 events would be better if they were made as a MM game? I seriously doubt that MM games are capable of it and I like them as much as you do.

Last edit: IMO this deserves its own thread if we are about to discuss it deeper.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You get last word and I cannot even reply without making a thread? Lol. 5 was the last. That is my last word on the subject.

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

If they did, I wasn't aware of it.

5 was the last what? HoMM is on VI (under the guise of Might & Magic Heroes VI). Anyway, I often hear of M&M or 6-8 being stated as the better M&M games (and they're the ones I have the most experience with), so that would again negate your point.

klaymen_sk likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Am I not equally entitled to my opinion as you are to yours? I liked 1-5 most of all. 6 was alright, but 7 and 8 sucked badly in my opinion.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

You are, but I'm also entitled to criticise your opinion and point out the factual inaccuracies.

7. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

That was not intended. I have just adviced to start a new thread, since this is a LoG thread, not that I don't want to discuss it anymore.

Same here. Most people actually like the newer MM games more (save for MM IX). Also it seems like that OmniNegro blames HoMM games when he should blame JVC or NWC in general instead. JVC is the game designer, he is responsible for these games. And the fact that he decided to change the MM games when HoMM games have arrived is just a coincidence.

EDIT: I wrote "older" MM games instead of "newer". Stupid me.

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Please stop this. I never once said you were wrong. I said my opinion is different. Saying I am being factually inaccurate is the same as saying I am wrong.

I do not think either of us are any more wrong than the other. We just have different opinions.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Ah! I see. Sorry then. I took it out of context it seems.

I will make a thread for M&M if anyone actually wants to speak of it, but as I said, 5 was the last real one in the series in my never humble opinion, so I really cannot say much else.

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I enjoyed some of the MM and the HoMM games. But Might and Magic, while fun, were never 'great', imho. They had their own style, but there were other games contemporary with the MM games that were superior for a variety of reasons ( Arena and Daggerfall, Ultima Underworld, Planescape: Torment, Fallout, etc.). I don't think they were bad games, just that there were other games evolving faster, that overshadowed them, so they weren't always especially memorable by comparison. The writing certainly was nothing special (I know I can't tell you the plot to a single MM game, nor do I have any especially good or distinctive memories, other than endless, constant repetitive combat).

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The series, and your thoughts. All opinions are welcomed, even when they are poor enough to conflict with my own. :)

I think M&M 1-5 were the best. 6 was alright. 7 and 8 sucked hard. I never even managed to get 9 to work in it's time.

The entire HoMM series was an entirely different genre that I simply hated. I felt they stole the fire of M&M to build HoMM.

What are your thoughts?

*Edit* After Daynab moved some posts around, this one looks out of place. This was the first post in this thread. Not that it matters. :)

12. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

This is your entire problem. Basically you should re-read what I replied to Althea in this post.
    Otherwise I have hard time to find any proper explanation *not* invoking Godwin's law, even though they are quite fitting.

EDIT: in fact, I started playing MM6 yesterday and 1-3 HoMM games are installed on my PC all the time (HoMM 2 to 4).

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I only repeated myself here for clarity. The only part of your reply that I disagree with is that there was a coincidence. That word is blasphemy like luck and fate and other such awful words. :)

14. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

It seems like you want to use HoMM games as a scapegoat of MM's failure in your eyes at all costs. :)

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

That is pretty close to the truth in reality. I simply hated the entire HoMM series. I liked M&M until they started trying *New* things like the strategy elements in the other games. M&M 6, 7, and 8 never felt like the M&M series at all to me. And like any people who like something, I was disappointed with *Any* change.

There are many who felt the same about games like Dungeon Master. They felt that DM2 was a bad idea all around. I rather liked it though. In fact I liked it far more than the original DM.

To sum it up, there is a parallel in every game series. A group of gamers decide that the old way was best and any change is not just bad, but absolutely insulting. I recognize that others disagree, but that in no way changes my view.

Does this make more sense now? (I guess I must be getting old...) :)

16. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Actually it makes no sense. :eek:
    You know, if you had some "normal" reason, like "it does not appeal to me at all", feel free to dislike it. But hating it because *the other* game series has changed.....well, that's weirder that woman's logic.

That makes me weird, then. Many HoMM fans hate HoMM 4 because it wanted to be too much different. On the other hand I love it for not being copypasta with different story (and that is one of the reasons I dislike Call of Duty series - a few different textures, different story (or what passes for it) and voila - new $60 game is on the shelves). Also I do not like HoMM 3 that much, even if most of people universally praise it as a best game of the series, yet I see it as "slightly improved HoMM2".
    Now, I don't want to twist this into the discussion about your hated HoMM series or about the CoD series,I have merely used them as an example that I actually like changes in games.

Heck, we even have saying "change is life" (I don't know if you have any equivalent of that) meaning that without a change everything stagnates. And that may be good for a while, but not eternally.

17. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I give up. It seems I cannot explain in terms that will appease you. I tried saying the cold hard facts as I see them, then I tried expounding out in a half dozen posts in a total of three threads.

I may be physically incapable of making this sensible to you and a few others. But as you say "Life is Change". So I may eventually learn how. :)

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I like Might & Magic Kick Kick Kick Kick SPIKES DOOM FALLING KICK.

Also known as Dark Messiah of Might & Magic .

blob likes this.
  19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

HoMM was really an entirely different series -- I enjoyed some of those games, actually. They were turn-based strategy games -- they weren't the first of their kind, nor the best, but they do have a large following that probably overlaps somewhat with the MM fans, though not as much as their titles imply, as they are an entirely different genre. I don't think they really had anything to do with the demise of the MM series. That said, the only reason why they have "Might and Magic" in the title was marketing.

The MM games were not that innovative, nor especially fun and interesting as compared with a lot of the game's contemporaries. They simply did not evolve in the right direction. Yes, the graphics would get somewhat updated, but that was about it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed those games. I just never though they were among the best -- they were games that helped you pass the time while waiting for something better to come along. They lacked greatness.

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

HoMM is really just JVC/NWC expanding on the earlier King's Bounty (from the same studio, no less) and merging it with the HoMM universe, which continued until about HoMM4, which is roughly where the financial problems with 3DO occurred, leading to Ubisoft acquiring the franchise.