What are your favorite games of all time?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jadkni

jadkni Member

TLJ/Dreamfall is probably my favorite game from a plot standpoint. Dreamfall is a bit confused in terms of gameplay and it's hard to praise traditional adventure games for their gameplay, but the story is amazing.

And we'd better see Dreamfall: Chronicles some time soon! :mad:

2. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

TLJ was amazing, I bought Dreamfall a while ago but haven't gotten around to playing it.

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Browser:
    Tactics Arena Online, at least until the pay-once-get-advanced-units-for-life server died.
    Elements: The Game.

Console:
    Final Fantasy Tactics. Compleat No-Brainer.
    Brigandine. Surprising depth of play for a one-off from Atlus.

PC:
    DoD. That's why I'm here.
    Pinball. Yeah, the crappy 3d pinball that comes with Windows XP. Screw you.

Board:
    Betrayal at House On The Hill. Best. Game. Evar.
    Roborally, but only drunk and with a bunch of utter nerds.

Card:
    Magic. Duh.
    Pokemon. Yes, I said it. Screw you.

Other:
    Seven Minutes in Heaven
    Everway.
    D&D 3.14159. I made it up. It's better than your homebrew. Screw you.

OmniNegro likes this.
  4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Robo Rally is a cool game, though I'd find it hard to play it while not sober. Then again, I rarely drink anymore anyway (it doesn't go good with my prescribed meds). Even sober, I have a rotten sense of direction. (Heck, following directions to my aunt's house once, I wound up in the wrong burrough of NYC).

5. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Console games: Crono Trigger, FF Tactics, FF 3/6 in that order.

6. mining

mining Member

Essence: Freaking love Betrayal On House of the Hill.

Essence likes this.
  7. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Althea mentioned King's Bounty in the LoG thread and that reminded me of those new KB games (Legends, Armoured Princess and Crossworlds) and the large amount of time I spent with them.

HoMM-ish combat, real-time movement and Diablo 2-ish character development, I like it. The only problem is that the games' difficulty raises high after a certain point, but that is probably because I suck. :)

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

:) I like your attitude. Like what you like at to bloody hell with anyone else!

Who does not like D&D? (Anyone who does not need not reply. We do not serve *Your Kind* here...)

9. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

D&D is a ton of fun. I've got a biweekly Pathfinder game with some friends of mine. Strange Shenanigans occur on a regular basis, and much fun is had by all. Except, maybe the GM sometimes...

10. Tycho

Tycho Member

Screwing with GMs is the whole point, from what I am led to believe. (See: Immovable Rod fiasco thread from... 4chan I think)

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Truly_Immovable_Rod

OmniNegro and TheKirkUnited like this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

12. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Cant say I care for D&D anymore, even though I played it for many years (I'm not asking to be served either :p), though I will play d20 if it is Monte Cook's: Arcana Unearthed. Typically for PRGs I'm into better systems/settings however.

UT was a fun game (for a deathmatch game), though I still prefer the original Unreal.

Digital Games: Still got the most enjoyment out of the Thief series and System Shock 2, so likely those are up there. Bastion (for something more recent) is something I came out thorougly enjoying as well. So would definatly be in my top 10 games.
    Likely my top 10 being (not in any real order)
    Thief series
    System Shock 2
    Bastion
    Unreal
    Hexen 1 & 2
    Planescape: Torment
    The Elder Scrolls series
    Guild Wars
    Disciples 1 & 2
    Arcanum.

Essence likes this.
  13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Yeah, they're pretty good. I've really only ever put time into Armored Princess (I own two copies of each, oddly), and they're pretty good, especially when you consider "what" they are, i.e. translated medium budget Russian games.

As for the difficulty - it's a little inconsistent, yeah. It's not helped by the rather poor handling of spare troops, though.

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've played D&D and some other paper and pencil rpgs. I started with D&D (1st edition) but fell out of 'like' with it by second edition. Favorite RPG was Paranoia -- it managed to get rid of almost everything that annoyed me about other rules sets. Also, I played some Fantasy Trip (Steve Jackson's precursor to GURPS) and thought that that was actually the path that rpg rules ought to follow (#1 rule was simplicity and very little actual knowledge was required to play -- not like D&D which seemed to require the equivalent to a college education, and one additional year of study for each successive version number). Role playing is fun. Reading rule books is the opposite of fun (except for Paranoia, which is hilarious to read).

ironically, the best fantasy rpg rules I've ever read (that is, actually fascinating to read) were those for Chivalry and Sorcery, because they were historical in nature, and even the magic system was based on actual historical texts about alchemy, sympathetic magic, cabalism, numerology, witchcraft, and so on. Of course, the rules were totally unplayable. But still, well worth reading simply for the historical research that went into them. Plus it never felt as arbitrary as most magic systems,

In any case, the reason why I feel that Paranoia was the best rpg rules ever was that A) it was science fiction/satire, as opposed to fantasy, and B) it was the gamesmaster's job to literally torture, and kill off the players, and/or get the players to kill each other, or at least, betray each other at every turn. (It wasn't called Paranoia for nothin'). Also, the general principal of the game was that the players were NOT permitted to know the rules (or, at least, to pretend to not know the rules), and displaying any actual knowledge of the rules could get you killed. Thus, there was literally, minimal game system separating the players from actually playing the game. I always have believed that that was Steve Jackson's goal with Fantasy Trip, but Paranoia was much better at achieving that goal. Why RPGs ended up going in the total opposite direction, I feel had a lot to do with money (a stripped down game system could never last, because of the temptation to have a new edition every few years).

15. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Well, yes. Only completing of primary quests replentishes the numbers of purchasable troops. At least some of them become unlimited after some time.

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

17. mining

mining Member

He is SO going to be crying on his next step.

18. Godwin

Godwin Member

:confused:

OmniNegro likes this.
  19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

KB doesn't replenish troops, AFAIK. If it did I never noticed.

20. blob

blob Member

@haldurson I ve always wanted to play Paranoia, because its such a hilarious concept. However the game was almost impossible to find...