Name your Favorite Villains

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Lorrelian, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

"Raito Yagami" (or "Light Yagami", depending on however you want to read that silly name) is a character from a Japanese comic series (and animated TV series) called "Death Note".
    "Sebastian Michaelus" (or "Sebastian Michaelis", gotta love Japanese people for their inability to be consistent with non-Japanese names) is a character from a Japanese comic series (and animated TV series) called "Black Butler" (or "Kuroshitsuji", if you want the transliteration of the original title).
    And "Nakago" is a character from a Japanese comic series (and possibly also animated TV series) called "The Mysterious Play" (or "Fushigi Yuugi", if you want the transliteration of the original title).

So you won't know who exactly they are unless you read/watch the stories they appear in. But personally I think that if you aren't involved with Japanese comics, there's no need to be now, because it's a love-it-or-hate-it thing, and most people who don't know about it don't like it (still, if you have time to spare and wish to try said comics out, by all means I wish you a pleasant time).

2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Thank you.
    I have heard of Death Note though.

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I honestly do not get 95% of the references made in this thread at all.

Politicians of all sorts are my vote for villains. Although favorite only in that they are the most awful villains. If you mean a likable villain, I would have to think about it and reply again later.

4. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Joke definition of Politics: many bloodsucking parasites. :)

5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I hated Q -- to be more clear, I even hated the CONCEPT of Q. I hated how he was written. I hated the episodes in which he appeared. He was one of many reasons why I found TNG unwatchable most of the time.

Note that the only reason why I ever actually did watch past the first few episodes of the series is that I would go to a friend's house to play games (paper and pencil RPG, sometimes board games) on weekends, and he insisted on leaving it on.

/edit But, I do agree with Heath Ledger's Joker. It's strange though that some people seem to hate that depiction, but I think it was genius.

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You hate Q? You hate the concept of Q? :eek:
    Seriously, how does one hate Q? I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm simply shocked that anyone would be so hate filled against Q.

I honestly can't think of any reason anyone could hate Q. Other than him being kind of obnoxious at times.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Well for one Q was *REALLY* *CHEAP* script writing. Q was bad for the entire series. He/She sucked in every way really. Omnipotent, arrogant, condescending, and always convinced he was omniscient, although clearly quite lacking in that regard.

I hated Q too. When I saw Q the first time I figured Star Trek had to fire all their writers and rely upon a janitor to make the script. No, I am not kidding. :)

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

My mind literally boggles that you both hate him with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns. :eek:
    He was hardly lazy writing, he was hardly a bad idea, and it shocks me that anyone could hate him so.

Also, for what it's worth, he explained in an episode of TNG how humanity will someday be capable of more than what he can do. Does this now make you a misanthrope? :) I think it should. If you hate him so much.
    I'm just really shocked anyone hates him.
    That's like hating Superman because he's based on Nietzsche's ideal of the Ubermench... "Behold the Superman."

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Lol. I do hate the Borg. They again were really cheap. They are also reused quite often. They became much much worse in ST Voyager. No, not because they are particularly bad, but merely because they were so very overused. Literally every other episode was Borg nonsense.

On the topic of Star Trek, the whole series is based upon nothing more than wishful thinking and hope that Humans will eventually become intelligent. This is pathetic in my opinion. But Science Fiction that is well made is pretty hard to find.

Just because Q said that he saw a potential for humanity to become something, that does not mean he was good in any way.

Introducing the Borg was not good nor bad. You could easily argue either way, but it means nothing more than speculation.

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

You say this word, but I don't think it means what you think it means. :)

I'm not going to contact the Hague War Crimes tribunal just because you don't like Q or the Borg. :)
    However, I'm a bit surprised anyone hated Q. This is the first time I heard anyone say anything bad about his existence.
    It does indeed, boggle my mind.

I think we should move away from discussion of Star Trek, and move back to villains, and not arbitrary hating on a letter of the alphabet.
    Also, do you hate Trelane from the original series, because he's what Q is more than likely based on.
    Except in the original series, Trelane was basically a child.

Essence likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It has been too long since I endured the pregnant pause that is otherwise known as "Kirk" for me to remember that character.

I just think that it is poor writing to rely upon super-powered entities all the time. It makes the word "cheese" come to mind every time they do that yet again. Cheese Trek sounds right every time I watch another Q or Borg episode.

Do not entirely misunderstand. I do enjoy science fiction. But they go too far into the fiction at times.

Back to the subject, I liked the parasites that I cannot recall how to spell from the Stargate series(s). They were a believable villain that was evil, cunning, and *Not* unbeatable. Damned tough, but not overdone in most cases. It was a more balanced villain. They had the cliché weakness of every other villain though. They were vain and overconfident. But who is not?

12. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Gou'ald. That's their name.

I don't see how a few episodes, and yes, I do mean a few episodes feature "Super-powered" beings that it's bad for the show as a whole.

I really don't get the hate here. When did Q become Justin Beiber?
    Also, please stop exaggerating, it's annoying. :(

13. Tycho

Tycho Member

I think Q was a kind of commentary at times, on the folly of the idea of omniscient and omnipotent beings with everyone's best interests at heart.

Essence likes this.
  14. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

That's a very interesting perspective. I like that idea.

15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I suppose I do tend to exaggerate too much. Literally... :)

It is probably best to not take me seriously at all. I try to be literal, but I find that people tend not to listen unless you scream at the top of your lungs from time to time.

Warp drive. Yes. I really mean all the 'fricken time. Warp drive. 'Nuff said. :)

Oh, we can only exceed the known limits on everything in the universe by doubling the phased neutrino sub-capacitor resonance coils in a script I just coughed up while choking on all these drugs that are the whole reason Star Trek exists... Hippy Trek? Better?

Oh. Now we hit a wall with doubling the known limits on everything in the universe, so we will do the same damned thing and this time we take the containment grid and set it to a triangular feedback potential with a kitten on the monitor for no reason. :)

I really could keep this nonsense going. But again we are way off topic.

Fair is not even a factor with opinions. They would not be opinions at all if everyone could agree they were fair. I dislike Q. A lot. But that is irrelevant. I am equally surprised how passionately you like that omnipotent letter of the alphabet. But that is your opinion.

Gou'ald. They were vicious backbiting parasites that hated most everything in the galaxy. Rather like Humans really are. They had some freakishly potent and inexplicable powers, but other than regeneration, physical strength, and glowing eyes, they were just standard villains. They augmented all that with massive genetic memory. That I liked. It gave them quite an edge, but did not make them Deific, despite their own opinions on such matters.

16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

That's the thing, I don't like him that much.
    I just was surprised people hated him. I like him as much as I liked any other episode on that show.

Also, the Warp Drive folds space, allowing you to travel at seemingly greater than light speeds without actually breaking the speed of light.
    Yes, the Warp Drive on Star Trek is actually possible according to the laws of Physics.

There was an article I saw not that long ago about how scientists have come up with a real life version of the Warp Drive to fold space, even if we're a few hundred years away from the technology.

So, yes, Science and Science Fiction sometimes feed each other.

17. Tycho

Tycho Member

I believe it's called the Alcubierre drive. It requires absolutely astonishing amounts of energy to operate, at least as we currently know it.

18. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I suppose I really just hated what Q represented the most. He was an annoying wildcard of lazy script writing. The character and the actor playing every version of him/her were fine.

It is just the whole invulnerable, unstoppable, impossible in every way, yet it happened and now the "Heroes" will magically wave their *Expletive Deleted* at him/her and all that goes away... Part that annoyed me so much.

Warp drive. Pffft. In the 1800s people were going to have flying carriages in a decade or two. Same story in the 1900s for flying cars. Now we are going to have a Moon base in a decade.

Warp drive will never happen. Folding space would be a weapon before a travel method. And since anything that can be weaponized cannot be trusted in general Human hands for fear of that, it will absolutely never be a part of Human lives.

Warp drive is my favorite villain. :)

*Edit* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Essence likes this.
  19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Well, now I know.
    Thanks, both of you.

I must go now though, my people need me. :)

20. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

As I've pointed out elsewhere, we DO have flying cars, and they are more pouplarly known as 'helicopters'. The fact that they are difficult to use, expensive to build, and don't actually look anything like cars is irrelevant. Heck, a Rhumba doesn't look much the way we used to imagine robots, but it's still a robot. :)

As far as the Borg is concerned, they are actually one of the few things I liked about TNG -- main problem was that after they became diluted down, they became boring.

My main problem with Q is that he is literally a Deus ex Machina -- yes a cheap writing trick. Also he is written as a spoiled child.

I also didn't care much for Data. For an AI he is written as both stupid and technologically backwards, even for when it was written. A machine typing into a keyboard? Really? Heck, a USB cable would have been higher tech than him.

The Captain was ok, except that he kind of surrendered the enterprise in almost every episode I watched.

The first officer was nearly as annoying as Q.

They killed off the best, most interesting character (that blonde female security officer).

r_b_bergstrom likes this.