OS X Snow Leopard Random crash once quest completed

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Balhichou, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

Hello there ! I've been playing Dredmor for a few mounths now, and while I'm really enjoying the game, I get random crashes here and now. It happens when I finish a quest, when Inconsequentia pops up to give me my reward. The game then freeze and goes back to Desktop.

I'm using the Steam version of the game.

My computer is a late 2010 13" Macbook Pro, and it handles the game without any trouble. I've never had any other crashes, except those ones.

Here's the crash log, if it can help : http://pastebin.com/KDL2rw2u

This crash may happens whatever skill I choose. I do not own Realm of the Diggle Gods.

2. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

Shameless bump ?

It has happened again, each time with the same error report, and I was running only Steam and Dungeons of Dredmor.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Oops, sorry for not answering earlier. They're looking at it and your log is quite helpful, so thank you.

Unfortunately I can't really suggest anything to avoid the crash yet, is it 100% of the time?

4. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

No problem ! I just bumped to be sure you saw it.

It happens, I'd say, 10% of the time. Once every 3 hours, roughly. Maybe I just have a crappy computer ; we should ask other Mac users.

Oh, and if I may add a precision : I wasn't using any mods ; pure vanilla.

Thanks for handling the problem !

5. Brian Futrell

Brian Futrell Member

It's not just OS X either. I'm getting it consistently after finishing a particular quest on level 6 in Windows. However since my save game is just before I kill the creature to finish the quest, I may have to start anew. :( I do have the Diggle Gods expansion.

If you can tell me where the log file is I'll send it as well. Also let me know if you need save game files.

6. Daynab

Well, if you have a savegame that can reproduce it most of the time that could be helpful, yes.

7. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

I don't think I can give a savegame, since this is very random. If I crash on a quest, the next time I play it it's fine, so I'll have trouble giving you a savegame. But Brian's save may prove very useful...

8. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

My suspicion is that the damage fields bug still isn't fully fixed. Someone else has reported that input can still be overloaded, so I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Balhichou, try the following: have a monster killed by a damage field while you're walking in a direction, and the quest completes at the same time. See if that makes the crash reproducible.

9. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

A damage field... Like Necronomiconomics ? Or a brimstone potion ?

10. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

A brimstone flask, a flame field. The official term is a "spell mine", I believe.

11. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

Oh, yes. I'll try to rush Promethean magic to get the tactical firewall and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll try to do it with traps to get the "spell mine" kill on an enemy.

12. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I can confirm that getting a quest reward or level up can crash the game if you get it while you are moving and a monster is being damaged by a spell mine.

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

... yeah, I pretty much identified that this was the culprit for 1.0.10. I was also pretty sure I'd fixed it.

If people say it's not fixed, I will take another look. I'd *really* like this bug to die.

14. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Fixing this bug would probably also mean removing the exploit for keeping monsters on spell mines to do extra damage to them.

15. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

Maybe I should precise this happened to me with 1.0.9 as well as 1.0.10.

16. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Yes I can still do this in 1.0.10. Try doubling the animation speed with = and see if that seems to avoid these crashes.

17. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

I always play on double animation speed. But I tried on normal animation speed, and it happens too, from time to time.

18. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

The main thing about increasing the animation speed is that it should make it harder to crash the game that way, not that it should prevent it.

19. Brian Futrell

Brian Futrell Member

Of course right after I offered a save game I got through the quest.

What I did to get past it was to move away from the creature that was the object of the quest before it died. If I killed the creature and was in a square beside it, it would crash after the quest complete window appeared.

20. Daynab

We're on it. It will be fixed.