Dredmor Patch 1.0.10 RC9 Feedback Thread - I Believe in The Lever Fix

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Feb 27, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

It happens every time. It may be random or it may be entropy. /ducks to avoid incoming shoes and such. :)

2. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

The problem is when it comes to randomness is there is some choice in the selection process to determine the value it will represent and thats the point at which true randomness gets confused.
    So in the case of any random value, the chosen value would be from a chaotic and largely unpredictable source, however the method for choosing the value from the source, or the determination of what the value represents is not likely to be random, but a constant (ie. the same factor in every instance). However because it is the same constant it can be effectivly ignored when it comes to mathematics.

Thats my take on it, anyway.

Often the way computers determine random numbers is based around time, so they take millisecond values and do some fancy maths with them ending in a result between 0 and 1. This gives an aproximation of randomness because it is hard (if not next to impossible) for a human to determine the exact millisecond the sample value(s) are taken from at any given moment in time. Though it does change from programming language to programming language.

Sorry to take it off on a tangent but hope this explains it a tad better for anyone that cares.

3. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I'm sorry for freaking out over it.
    It is just a game feature that I don't like, and it is bugged, because they did steal from me when I dodged.
    I just don't like enemies that you can't actually melee, because of how they are working.

I really don't think they can be balanced, as other people have said, remove them and leave thirsty diggles, melee users have a tough enough time as is.
    Transcendental dodge randomly activates for no reason, even just putting a point into the skill and never activating it.
    And by that, I mean it teleports.

Does everyone hate Artful Dodger and never found this bug before?
    Got 3.5 million from a crown amulet thing which seems a bit much.

Bookshelves don't like me, which makes me sad face. :(
    And that's about it.
    There, I think that's a nice calm post, and with no yelling and freaking out. :)
    See, coldcandor, I can be sane.

Maybe my Asperger's doesn't help when I find things that should not be.

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

...Are you sure about this? I tested this during RC5/RC6 to make sure it was working correctly, sigh if it got broken again after.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I think I reported the Transcendental dodge error before, but I could have just dreamed that up.

It does not matter if you activate or deactivate it. And it has been that way quite a while now.

Relax David. You are among friends here. Ignore the giant man eating Diggles from beyond time and space. They are just hallucinations due to Ergot in the bread. :)

6. Daynab

I just double checked. It works fine on my side. No teleports if it's not activated, 100% teleport if activated.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I tested too. Must have been a previous RC or something. TD works as advertised on the tin now. :)

8. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Um, I have RC 9, and I assure you, it still is broken, and randomly activates, even without the skill activated. Mind you, it's not as common, so you could go a bit without seeing it, but it does still happen, and it's more noticeable with very high dodge for obvious reasons.
    I hope it's something on my end, but I don't think it is.
    Also, Yum, Ergot!

Now, let's hope Bookshelves no longer hate me.
    Oh, my current character has 50+ dodge/block/counter. With Imperial Boilerplate armor. :)
    Big Reds almost never hit me.

9. Daynab

Sorry dude, I dunno what to tell you; I just checked again, and counted the dodges. On about 40 dodges I have not teleported once.

Besides, logically I don't know how it could be possible to happen "rarely" since it was a 100% thing. Either it works or it doesn't.

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, not only did I teleport every so often randomly, I think my current run is bugged a bunch.
    I keep procing a radiant aura from when you drink the potion of radiance. I thought it was from my Bow of the Radiant Dawn, from FaxPax, but even removing it didn't stop it from triggering.
    Maybe that mod is the cause of it, and some of the others.
    All I know is that it's annoying to randomly teleport every time I dodge.

Also, can we make it so we don't have a chance to get the wizard's sleeve as a reward for a monster zoo? :(
    That's a slap in the face on level 10.

Also, I don't think Enemy Dodge reduction works correctly.
    I miss with 70 EDR. Against the Far Dansig, the invisible Lucky clone. :) Also, against Blobs of Corruption, etc.
    Do you need 120 EDR to hit anything? Even bolts miss so much.

11. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

I highly recommend removing all mods and testing again. It's common for mods that don't seem at all related to something to cause problems (in any game), especially if you have a bunch of them. Ideally, try removing them all, testing that and, if it's now working, install them one by one until you find the one that breaks it. It's tiresome, but this is the type of thing where exhaustive testing is the only real good way to go about it.

I'm glad! Take a few breaths, remember that we're all friends here and we all want to make this game awesome, then let us know what's wrong :)

12. zefria

zefria Member

It is Tuesday, and Steam is still on 1.0.9 rev B. I am slowly becoming upset with Steam.

13. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

14. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sadly, it's not just steam. :mad: My Humble Indie Bundle download page still says last updated December 28 2011, despite me clicking "refresh" on the page every four hours since Thursday.

Anyone (I'm especially asking those at Gaslamp) know what the delay is?

15. Glazed

Glazed Member

It's not Steam's fault. It hasn't even been released to Steam yet. Read more of the thread where Nicholas explains this.

No, no, don't install them one by one. Install half at a time. Say you have 8 mods that might be causing the problem. Turn on 4 of them and see if that reproduces the problem. If not, then you know it's one of the other four. If it's the first four, then turn off two and see if it still happens. If it's the other four, then turn on only two of them and see what happens. With each iteration you are eliminating half of the mods as culprits. This will take at most three tests. If you tested all 8 separately it could take as many as 7 tests to prove that it's the last one. You may get lucky and find that it's the first one, but I don't like to plan on being lucky. Think about it if there were 128 mods. It would only take 7 tests with my algorithm, but up to 127 doing it one by one.

Then again, a mod can't change the core attack mechanics. It's very, very unlikely for a mod to make the Hungry Diggle proc undodgable. The bug has to exist in the core game engine. It's unlikely that a specific mod is needed to expose this bug.

If we're talking about the teleport dodge bug, then sure. Test away. However, nothing's worth testing until 1.0.10 comes out. Because even RC9 is not up to date with the latest code.

Marak and Essence like this.
  16. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

I don't believe Nicholas has sent steam their package yet. Near as I understand that's slated for today; we were hoping to have it to them yesterday night, but it doesn't appear that happened. We've got a couple meetings scheduled this afternoon (erg) then we'll get right on it guys.

17. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Thanks for the info. You guys are always awesome with the quick responses and excellent customer service.

Any idea what's up with HIB? Could have sworn there was a statement around here somewhere that it was sent to them either Thurs or Fri of last week, but they still haven't updated to the new version, at least not on my download page.

18. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

So it'll be done "tomorrow"?

Essence likes this.
  19. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

Quite right! I don't know why on earth I said it the other way... I've had my share of debugging World of Warcraft addons when I had 100+ installed. Thanks for correcting me!

This was primarily the teleport bug, which everyone except David seem to have no bugs with, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to test the diggles too. Just because the mods aren't supposed to be able to affect them doesn't mean they won't find a way! :D

Again with the awesome feedback from Gaslamp! Thank you guys so much for keeping us in the loop!

20. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

No, it'll be given to Steam tomorrow. Their track record indicates they'll get it actually up and running sometime in early 2024.