Why is buying DoD+RoDG as a bundle is more expensive then buying them separately on Steam?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Deus.Ferreus, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Deus.Ferreus

Deus.Ferreus Member

Because usually one would expect for them to be cheaper when bought together...

Attached Files:

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

It's not the only game it's happened to, nor the only place it happens. I don't know exactly what causes it, but it's not good.

Looking at the UK store, it's not too different:
    Dredmor - £3.49
    Diggle G - £1.99
    Total = £5.48
    Bundle = £5.49

Oops.

3. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Because Holy Steam, the supposed saviour of PC gaming being called the best thing ever invented since the sliced bread, decided that we, the Europeans, are filthy rich scum who deserves to be milked to death.

In case of my picture, I already own the base DotP 2012 game and Expansion. Despite that, I have to buy the expansion again and throw in 6€ extra. Now, that's a deal!

Attached Files:

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Just to point out that price given doesn't factor in DotP 2012, hence why it looks lower. I think WotC really, really screwed us over with DotP 2012's pricing, though. I've just drawn a line under it and moved on.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The answer to your question is pretty simple, Deus.Ferreus. It's a mistake on the side of Steam, with some prices being "translated" to be as close as possible to the original (individual), while some are set arbitrarily, as if someone had decided to simply change the dollar icon for euro or pound (packages).

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Gamefly has the bundle for $3.75 USD. I just bought it and am having trouble getting it to work at all.

7. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

It is not a mistake, but a "feature". Steam claimed that Europeans wanted localised pricing, so they just changed the $ signs for € and called it a day. That has caused uproar and Valve's comment was "we will look into it". This is the 4th year that they are "looking into it".

Check the infamous SPUF thread by yourself:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770231

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Thank you for showing them. I knew that, but could not think of what words to search for to demonstrate it.

That is one of the reasons 99% of what is generally considered "American" games are almost exclusively sold in retail packaging in Europe. That and the fact that Europe has censorship laws that I still to this day am confounded by. The Fallout series had a striped down and buggy version they sold to Europe. Why? Because it featured children and they were not immune to the player. You could shoot them. (Sometimes unintentionally.) That would make the game illegal in all of modern Europe.

9. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Actually, no. I don't know of any law making it illegal here in Slovakia. Only Germany is known for its communist-like censorship, so it probably could be one version for the European market.

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I apologize then. :(

I know that is the case in Germany and also in England. I just thought it was all of Europe. But then I am an American. We tend to be pretty ignorant of the rest of the world. :)

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I know, but I refuse to call such idiocy "feature". Thus, the only way to call is is "mistake".

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Uh, not England (well, the UK). To the best of my memory, only one game has been censored here/refused release in the past decade or so, and I believe that may have been Manhunt 2.

All major releases have to go for BBFC/PEGI classifications, and they have *rarely* asked for cuts to be made on games. And trust me, the BBFC can be very, very, very, very, very, very, very accommodating of so-called 'adult themes'.

We have uncensored games over here.

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Nope. Sorry to contradict you directly, but I remember Interplay released a report about the "English/European version of Fallout 2" having all children removed since it violated English laws. I will find a quote or eat my words. Just a sec.

Here is one: More to come.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fallout_2#Differences_in_Euro_and_US_versions_off_the_game

Another from the first Fallout game:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fallout_(series)#Child_Killer
    http://www.gog.com/en/forum/fallout_series/is_the_gog_version_of_fallout_2_censored/

And the following two quotes were from this source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regionally_censored_video_games

On the PS3 there is this quote:
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Blood was removed from the game when played on Japanese consoles. The trophy patch will enable blood on Japanese PlayStation 3 consoles when using the UK/European version of the game.

On the PC there is this quote:
    Fallout and Fallout 2 - Children were removed from gameplay in the UK and German versions of the games. The graphical portrayal of character deaths is affected by the reduction of violence options in Game Options. Fan made patches are available to restore the European versions of the games to the same level as the uncut US version.

Sadly, since Interplay ceased to exist, I cannot find a direct quote. But I would certainly settle for a draw. How about you? I think we can agree that every example I show is an extreme. Not the norm. Just an extreme.

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I also recall somewhere reading that the Van Buren demo was going to be released in the US with the sprites and other stuff needed for a fan mod to add in the children to Fallout 3 when it game to be. But that was before the project was scrapped and the content all but disappeared. Then years later Bethesda bought the rights to Fallout 3 and made their own version using a different engine so that was useless. How many children have you seen in Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas without mods that are not invulnerable?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Child#Differences_between_the_games

This posting has nothing to do with the UK or Euro releases at all. It is purely the fact that Bethesda decided to make children invulnerable so they could make one version of the game for all areas of the world.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

No they didn't. Interplay are still around. Massive, massive financial issues, sure, but they're still around.

Also, Fallout 2 released 14 years ago. I said the last decade. So, we have two censored/adjusted games versus... hundreds (if not thousands) of uncensored ones.

16. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Fourteen years? I thought time only flies when we have fun? :)

I guess I am still living in the late nineties. I may catch up in a decade or two.

And It was not Interplay at all. It was Black Isle. Sorry for the multiple confusing errors on my part.

But let us put the shoe on the other foot. Can you name even one game published in the UK that features killable children? I am not suggesting this is something to be desired, but it goes to show you that censorship is alive and well. You can play hundreds of shooters and rampage through levels of cities filled with families, but you cannot kill the children. They are somehow invulnerable every time. You can usually kill the adults, but even if they stand next to the adults, the children are magically immune to bullets and whatever else you could use.

I believe that censorship in any form is disastrous to society. There are many things I simply do not want to see. Dead or dying children is one of them. But there are clearly laws forbidding it. In todays world books like A Clockwork Orange and Fahrenheit 451 and Nineteen Eighty Four could not be published legally in most parts of the world. How long at this rate before those existing books and the films made after them must be confiscated and burned?

Do you not see the bars of your cell?

17. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

And what about having blood and gore in games in the US is fine, but when there is a naked woman's breast or, God forbid, something worse, all hell breaks loose? (which kinda reminds me of the anti-D&D campaign made by some church, accusing them of satanism and other BS)

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Like klayman pointed out, the US is arguably quite silly over things being cut. The Witcher had an additional version in the US, after a period of time, called the Director's Cut (officially The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Director's Cut) which restored the uncensored nudie portraits.

I can't think of any game in the UK which allows you to kill children, largely because there's so very few games with children in, nevermind killable ones.

19. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

...Wait, those weren't in the original game? I always thought that the Director's Cut was the Witcher guys' way of saying "wow, our game's actually popular? Let's fix all the bugs and make the voice acting not suck then."

20. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

That was the Enhanced Edition.