GW2

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Rarefied Horse Meat, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I'm getting pretty crazy-excited about the big genre improvements coming down the line with GW2. The personality thing, the events replacing quests for the most part, etc.

Also I just discovered mesmers can wield greatswords, but they never hit anyone with 'em - they just point the sword at things and shoot lasers for the most part! This amuses me greatly.

What about you, which class's weaponset amuses you the most, or makes you most antsy to start playing RIGHT NAO?

2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

GW2 ftw first of all.

Secondly I love the scepter on pretty much everyone who has it, and guardian sword and ele staff. Best weaponsets.

Of course mesmer greatsword is pretty awesome but I'm pretty sure I'm making a mesmer but I'll end up playing more amusing stuff like confusion and rupting (Mantra of Daze gogo, even though it has a weird name). Mantra of Daze best cc ever because it's instant and you can cast it during other skills just in case you were doing something while they cast. Sadly rupting things doesn't put them on full cooldown but it can be traited to do some other fun things.

I'll end up playing necro main, and the build I've made at the moment was Axe/Warhorn, Scepter/Focus, around 30-20-0-15-5 for incredibly painful conditions and then still some damage and tankiness from lifesteal + death shroud. Death Shroud in particularl I'd trait with the aoe spinal shivers on enter and then get the minor blood for aoe heal on leave. Gluttony by itself is great too.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Weird, wonder how I missed this thread when it was posted.

GW2 is my main hope for finally a good new MMO this year.

4. Probably the lame title, Nabbers.

Mesmer greatsword looks very satisfying, Null, but I am flabbergasted that so many people used it in PVP during the beta. Mesmer in PVP? Yes, please, with milk and sugar! Giant purple laser of BTW I AM ATTACKING YOU, ALSO I/WE ARE OVER HERE? I'll pass, I'm trying to watch my weight. And agreed on death shroud, I love it as well as the elite summon. They're two things which I have direct control over tactically, to keep me alive and/or my target pinned down - I'm not as big a fan of uncontrolled minions unless I can shatter them to get goodies that I can use tactically.

Paladin's suprisingly high propensity to set things on fire via various traits and attacks is pretty neat. Reminds me of those angry religious ladies from the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and might combo really well with an archer warrior's traits.

You guys got any thoughts as to guild allegiance yet? The Deadly Betties seem to have built a pretty cool community over the past year or two; they'll probably be my first try. Hope their gaming personas are as chill as their internet / voicechat personas.

I'm starting to pile up an unhealthy number of theoretical builds. I won't possibly have enough time to play them all, not to mention they've still got quite a few minor and major traits left to add, and they say that about 30% of their existing traits have been updated or replaced.

5. Null

Everyone used mesmer greatsword in PvP cause it was completely overpowered. It did disproportionate amounts of damage compared to other weapons, had a long-ranged stun without a travel time or obstructability, a cripple, a knockback and I forget what 3 is and don't look it up but the point is it had incredibly high damage and utility.

Also: guardian not paladin. Completely different names, mostly because guardian is more magic and less holy and paladin implies a religious context which guardian doesn't really have (and can't for lore reasons considering that charr, asura and sylvari can be guardians).

And yes theorycrafting builds is so much fun.

6. Whatevs. If I call em paladin, fighter, rogue, hunter, psionicist (or enchanter), black mage, techpriest, and sorcerer, people will still know what I'm talking about.

And they're all my favorite. D:

Wi§p likes this.
  7. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

I don't know which one to pick. In GW1 I've played most with Paragon, Dervish and Ritualist. While Guardian seems like being partial D or P, he looks like "just another paladin-like guy".

But probably I won't play as an Elementalist or Necromancer.

8. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Alas, my computer's a single-core, and it's not looking like I'll be able to upgrade for a while, so I'm unlikely to be able to play the game when it comes out. And to think I've got like 40 points in my HoM...

Probably still gonna pre-order, though, for the goodies.

Robsbot likes this.
  9. Null

This game compared to most is really compatible with bad systems. I'd be surprised if you couldn't play it.

10. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Requirements say dual-core. Still, I suppose I may as well try; New Vegas is supposedly single-core compatible except for some sound issues, after all.

11. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Guild Wars one ran on computers (atleast on one of mine) slightly below the requirements quite happily. Sure you needed to turn most setting to low (though it still looked ok), but thems the breaks.
    So definatly worth giving it a shot.

12. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Same here. And I don't feel like buying it just to try if my sorry excuse of a PC will run it.

13. Null

Beta weekend event in an hour and a half today! Did anyone else buy it that's playing this weekend?

14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I watched some live podcasting at gamespot of the beta. Don't think I'm going to buy it myself unless I'm really bored and it gets great reviews, and the other games that I'm more interested don't pan out. I'm hoping that the Secret World turns out ok, and if not that, then maybe Wildstar or one of the lesser-hyped upcoming games. I've been on a complete break from MMOs for a whie now. There's nothing there right now, however, that is tempting me to try another one yet.

15. Drago6667

Drago6667 Member

So the beta is over now, what did you all think of it? I liked it a lot.
    Staff Elementalist FTW!

16. I was not quite able to set aside the money needed to get in on the BWE, but I should be able to next time around. I learned quite a bit from watching/reading tons of WvWvW coverage, though. I'm ridiculously excited.

17. Daynab

Been reading more about it and it's like they've crammed everything I've ever wanted in an mmo together. So hyped for this.

18. deek

deek Controller of Bits Staff Member

I got the collectors edition and have played in the beta weekend a week or so back and really enjoyed myself. Anyone on these forums should get on the same server when it comes out.

19. Null

Well which server should it be? I'd like to get my server decided ahead of time. Of course the server only really matters for WvW.

20. Daynab

Pretty sure it's too early to do so, unless literally everybody sticks to the same server as the first beta weekend.

I'll probably go to the same server everybody on SomethingAwful does.