Lord Dredmor 2.0

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by J-Factor, Mar 24, 2012.

1. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I've been working on adding a 'total stats' feature to the Monsters section on Dredmorpedia. Currently monster stats only include the specific stats the devs buff them by (e.g. mustaches have bonus dodge). The new total stats feature includes the stats gained from warrior/rogue/wizard levels. Enjoy the new ROTG Lord Dredmor (who is lvl 115) coming in 1.10:

[​IMG]

Fun facts:
    • You only have a 16% chance to land a melee hit on him
    • He's immune to DOTs

Essence and Wi§p like this.
  2. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

And thus Lord Dredmor alone makes having EDR necessary. Also, is it my imagination or is he completely immune to traps? And the part where he's immune to critical hits really hurts. If the idea was to make him tougher they've certainly succeeded. It'll take a crapload of :dmg_righteous: or the mother of all physical hits to hurt him now, what with his ability to resist all spells (except maybe haywire spells) and shrug off a whopping 40 physical and most of the exotic damages. Maybe I should try an Emomancy run, see if that "vulnerability" to :dmg_acidic: can be exploited.

Yeah, all of a sudden fighting Dredmor is an exciting proposition again.

3. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

!. Set Dredmor on fire.
    2. Run away and shut a door on him.
    3.Wait for burn to run its course, open door, ignite again, repeat with another door.
    4. Repeat for at most 100 turns until Dredmor dies.
    5. Profit!

So long as burn does damage by % of health, all bosses can be easily cheesed.

4. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Your strategy is lacking.

Marak and Wi§p like this.
  5. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Lord Dred needs to be able to open doors.

Essence and Wi§p like this.
  6. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Last time I checked, a) burn ignores fire resistance and magic resistance and does flat damage by % of max HP and b) there is no unburnable flag. It's not a dot, but a status effect, and hence is exempt.

Strategy holds, as far as I can see.

7. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Sounds like the solution is to make burn a resistible DoT, rather than change the way it does damage. Also, why is it players never catch on fire? That sounds like it would make burning things to death a much riskier proposition...

Wi§p likes this.
  8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

This is weird, because I actually tested him yesterday, with cheat characters, fully leveled and equipped in non artifact gear. In melee I had no problem hitting him, but honestly he has so much health I'm not sure it's even possible to kill him. Then I tried with a mage, it would've taken like 100 casts of the more powerful spells to get him.

I fear he may be a tad OP now.

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

J-Factor, I think this is not correct for Lord Dredmor's actual stats.

People in the 1.10 Beta thread have pointed out this Dredmor can be taken down in melee. One even mentioned how they killed him using crossbows, and it only took a few more bolts then it did normally.
    Also, they did give him bonus health of 800, but that doesn't mean he has 1100 health.
    According to the Monstats, the original Dredmor has a 200 health boost. I'm not certain what his base health is, though, because there seems to be no way of telling.

I could run through with my current character, and give it a test.
    I know he has an insane block chance, however.
    I just challenge this, due to the fact that people have hit him with ranged attacks in the 1.10 thread, and have stated that he is now easier to melee.
    Also, his dodge chance above is 67. That means he has a 33% chance to be hit in melee without EDR.
    Unless you combined his Counter chance. Which I guess would explain it.
    All I know, is those stats are contradictory to what people in the thread stated and shared.
    I could be wrong, and I fully accept I could be, but I just don't see how this Super Dredmor is as strong as you state he is.
    If he was, no one could ever hurt him with any weapon that doesn't do around 150 a hit without criticals, and that includes all crossbows. Considering you'd have to use a crossbow that is stacked with every elemental damage type possible, and all of them would have to be around 20 each. Just to counter his resists.

10. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

He'd actually have :life:1105. Health is 5 + :burliness: + :caddishness: [+ Bonus health].

11. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Can you also explain how people have killed him then? Because I'm not sure how...if that was the case.
    Ha anyone ever really tested to see if his health is this high? I still have a hard time imagining people hurting him at all.

12. FaxCelestis

My last melee run-through did upwards of 90 damage a swing and had a stash of 250 healing potions and 50 potions of rejuvenation. It's really just a matter of time at that point.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

True.
    Also, with 104 block, doesn't that mean he reduces all damage when he's hit by 104% as well? Because I don't believe there's a cap on how much reduction block gives, and it's based mostly on it's number.
    I know it will be 50% less at the very least.
    So, Fax, did you still do 90 damage every time he blocked, which would be every hit?
    Also, how do you do 90 damage that isn't negated by his resistances? That would have to basically be 90 Righteousness to even scratch him.

14. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Good catch. Updated the health formula.

I think 'Tougher Lord Dredmor' was beefed up again inbetween the later RCs. The people commenting on him may have been fighting a weaker version.

(EDIT: Yep, in RC3 he had :life:400 bonus, now he has :life:800 and another 10 wizard levels)

In any case, I'm confident these numbers are right. Both in theory and practice (you can summon dredmor with a mod).

A :life:20 potion isn't that helpful when he can cast a :dmg_hyperborean:32 * 7 turns DOT on you. And it stacks.

15. FaxCelestis

That's what the stack of 75 Potions of Purity is for.

Wi§p likes this.
  16. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

"I think 'Tougher Lord Dredmor' was beefed up again inbetween the later RCs. The people commenting on him may have been fighting a weaker version."
    And I can assure you, the people who said that they fought him, fought the one in the later versions, with the larger health bonus.

So, something weird is going on. Either he really doesn't have 1100 health, or people on floor 15 can actually hurt him, despite all your stats to the contrary. However, I'm not sure how they really expect someone to hurt an 1100 health Dredmor who can block your hits all the time, in melee or ranged, and basically can't take any damage from any attack, based on his block/dodge/counter and his magic resistances.

Something really odd is going on.

17. Daynab

I've beaten him myself on RC8, as I said in my post earlier, but that was with a cheat character. He did have an insane amount of health, 1100 doesn't seem far fetched. I am wondering about that block and such, though. I didn't have any trouble actually hitting him, but I didn't look at my EDR stat.

That said, his health is way over the top. Or his resistances.

18. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Okay, then. I really don't look forward to fighting him then.
    Any major weaknesses he has? Besides Righteousness?
    Also, how does something be immune to DoT?
    Last time I fought him, even the Golden Crossbow triggered it's debuff. Not that it did anything.
    As a side note, Dredmor in 1.09 B was weak against anti-magic field arrows from a mod. I wonder if they could effect him now.

I do wonder, since I play on Elvish Easy, could that change his final health for me? Compared to Going Rogue?

19. Daynab

I do believe the primary archtype (wizard, warrior, rogue) points are different, but I could be wrong.

The reason he's immune to dots I think is a duct-tape solution to the fact he died really easily off screen when he had dots on him. Like, you'd go away and he just died. Something was weird there.

20. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Maybe. Last I checked, most monsters have HP that scales to your level, and the scale factor gets higher on higher difficulties. Thus, later monsters have much different HP depending on character level. By CL 30 that can look like a 180 HP difference in monster HP. Of course, that really looks like a drop in the bucket on the big man himself, doesn't it? Also, I'm not sure the monster HP scaling rules apply to Dredmor. After all, he's got a ton of health already.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that the entries in TweakDB could also refer to how much extra HP monsters get for their levels. I had just always assumed it referenced player level. If it sets how much HP monsters get for their levels, then Dredmor could conceivably be much, much weaker for Easy players than Dwarvish or Rogue players. TweakDB also references something called the "global monster HP scale" which I'm not entirely clear on. But it's lower on Easy than the other two difficulties.