DoD Modding and Mod Installation Guide (Updated 6/5/2012)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Daynab, Dec 1, 2011.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I believe I can speak for most if not all here: You are most welcome.

2. kino5

kino5 Member

If you're a Steam user, you can get the Steam key via your private url (the link they sent you, where you can download all the games from the Bundle), and link it. I did it myself and the game auto-updates just fine. Also, if you're not interested in Steam, but you want the last update (and I guess you do), you can link the game to Steam, get the latest version, and then play it without having to start Steam and play connected (as opposite as a lot of Steam games). You just have to run the executable in the game folder (in "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Dungeons of Dredmor\" or something like that). The only thing you'd have to do is start Steam every time there's a new patch/fix.

3. DraigoDragon

DraigoDragon Member

I don't fully understand how to install mods on the game they won't show up in the mod loader do i have to make a mods folder in steammaps/common/dod/mods?

Edit

Correction i am a moron

Essence likes this.
  4. Troacctid

Troacctid Member

I think there's a problem in my skillDB, because I can load the mod just fine, but it doesn't show up in the skill selection menu. Anything look off here?

Full thing is attached if it helps.

Attached Files:

5. kino5

kino5 Member

If you're using custom icons, the path to them has to be something like this: "mod/skills/...", maybe that is the problem.

6. Troacctid

Troacctid Member

That's only if your "skills" folder is inside your "mod" folder, right? I didn't organize it like that, so that doesn't seem like it should be an issue.

7. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Correct. Try using "e" instead of "é". It may not like the special character.

8. Troacctid

Troacctid Member

Good catch, I think that did the trick. Thanks.

9. kino5

kino5 Member

I didn't know that there is more than one way to put the icons in the mod, I followed already-made mods to make mine :)

10. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

I looked around myself in the DB files and looked through the forums, but i'll be damned if I can figure out where to change the character starting items. I've given up on the initial game difficulty and created a mod to let me make myself all uber at the start for a short period. Ideally, I'd like this to be an auto-cast ability, but it seemed easier to make it in the form of a potion you would start with. I've created the mod and see it in the loader, I've made my edited spellDB and itemDB files, but I don't know how to test them until I can get it to give me the potion.

On a related note, does adding it to that file automatically make it spawn like other items? I certainly don't want it to start appearing randomly as I adventure, that would be completely game breaking.

11. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Go to sillkDB.xml and search for "loadout". :)

12. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

Ah hA! "loadout' is the key term I was missing :p Still a problem though... They all appear to be tied to a skill. Any way I can just tell it "Always give one of these"?

Also, I answered my other question myself. Started a character and played for half a level (Burned every single item I started with and got a few lucky counters, but managed to survive the freaking potato swarm that was on the other side of the first door...) and found one of my new potions in a chest. Any idea how to avoid that?

Oh, and I almost forgot: Did my adding all the resists somehow break it? The buff gave me the expected HP/Armor, but only had 3 armor buffs and gave 1 too many damage buffs. Here's the spellDB XML:
    Code:
    <spell name="Temporary Immunity" type="self" icon="skills/warrior/berserker0_32.png" wand="0">
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/rage/rage" frames="3" framerate="50" sfx="ping" />
      <buff useTimer="1" time="150" icon="skills/spells/monstrous_rage64.png" smallicon="skills/spells/monstrous_rage32.png">
          <secondarybuff id="0" amount="50"/> <!-- HP -->
          <secondarybuff id="10" amount="50"/> <!-- armour -->
          <damagebuff necromantic="10" putrefying="10" />
    <resistbuff acidic="10" Aethereal="10" Asphyxiative="10" Blasting="10" conflagratory="10" Crushing="10" Existential="10" Hyperborean="10" Necromantic="10" Piercing="10" Putrefying="10" Righteous="10" Slashing="10" Toxic="10" Transmutative="10" Voltaic="10" />
          </buff>
      <description text="This rage is monstrous!" monsterText="smoulders with RAGE!"/>
      <ai hint="buff"/>
    </spell>

13. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Simply add the items to every skill's loadout, and you're done!

14. FaxCelestis

That unfortunately requires a core file replacement.

15. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Change all the resistance types to lowercase.

16. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

Good call! That did the trick, the item now (at least looks like) it's working correctly.

That was my thought too, but, as Fax said, requires a core file replacement. I may say to hell with it and do that in the end, but i'd like a better option.

How about this: I know that you can have rooms that spawn certain things every time, and I know that the starting room is a special room only used once. Perhaps I can force a spawn of the item in that room?

Still doesn't help me prevent is spawning later on, but I'm considering making alterations to it that would make it something that wouldn't be game breaking to have appear now and then.

17. FaxCelestis

That still would require a core file replacement.

18. coldcandor

coldcandor Member

Bah! So there's no way anyone can think of to start a character with an item, spell, or buff without modding the core files, short of creating a new skill and forcing myself to take it every game?

19. FaxCelestis

Sadly, correct.

20. JUDDY

JUDDY Member

mine doesnt work i put items, mod ,and skills in my folder called Dungeons of Dredmor