Chronomancy: Time Manipulation Skill

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by J-Factor, Mar 4, 2012.

1. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Please note: This mod requires 1.10 features. This means either the latest RC or 1.10 itself when it's release.

I've been tinkering on this for a while; you might have seen my original thread for 'Chronology'. Well here it is - mostly finished and only needing some balance work and better skill/spell descriptions (still can't think of a good way to reference BttF).

[​IMG]
    Chronomancy
    Some call you 'The Human Metronome'. Mostly you just know the right time to make your exit.

This is a time manipulation themed skill that's intended to help you get out of sticky situations.​

Level 1
    [​IMG]
    Daydream
    Years of study have taught you how to bypass the normal flow of time... or it would have if you spent less time daydreaming. Refreshes you, but beware of being disturbed.

First, somewhat weak ability that paralyzes you for 5 turns in exchange for a 50% chance of recovering :life:1 and 25% chance of recovering :mana:1 each turn. Scales very slightly by :magic_power: because I haven't bothered using the new scaling stuff yet.​

Level 2
    [​IMG]
    Precognition
    You can see the future! Something terrible is going to happen to that monster... probably. Time will tell!

After 10 turns the target of this spell will be hit with either a mild (e.g Curse of the Golden Ratio), medium (Eldritch Inhabitation) or nasty (Bolt of Squid) spell. The chance of each spell is 90%, 10% and 1% respectively.​

Level 3
    [​IMG]
    Bolt Time
    You feel like The One (or at least a close second). Master the art of special effects to slow down time around you, drastically increasing evasiveness.

Buff that grants :dodge:100 to you and any monster directly adjacent to you during a 6 turn period.​

Level 4
    [​IMG]
    Time Flux
    Project yourself into the future! You are invulnerable while in the flux of time and those around you are ravaged by the passing ages.

Paralyzes and makes you invulnerable for 25 turns. Description needs to be updated - it no longer ravages monsters nearby.​

Level 5
    [​IMG]
    Summon Past Self
    Reach back through time to summon yourself as a distraction! Just try not to think about it too much or you'll do your head in.

Summons your 'past self' who stands around distracting your enemies for 10 turns. Any monster who steps into a tile adjacent to your past self is prevented from moving (due to their paradoxical confusion). Good for blocking 3 tile wide doors.​

Level 6
    [​IMG]
    The Darkest Timeline
    By choosing this ability you are creating 7 different timelines. In your darkest hour you can turn back the clock and return to the prime timeline.

Makes you invincible for 1 turn and teleports you randomly over a very large area (potentially the entire dungeon floor). While teleporting you can see glimpses of the other timelines. You may also end up inside a zoo somehow.​

Level 7
    [​IMG]
    Grandfather Clock Paradox
    One of the lesser known paradoxes, the Grandfather Clock Paradox stipulates that all Grandfather Clocks are, infact, the same clock. Should two different clocks exist, spacetime would fold between the clocks such that they converge. This has been thrown out by most leading philosophers, but hey, it's worth a shot!

First time you cast this spell it summons a grandfather clock. When you next cast the spell it summons another clock and then teleports you to the previous clock's position (destroying the previous clock). Basically you can use this like a 'town portal' by creating a clock inside a shop.​

Level 8
    [​IMG]
    Lease of Time
    You've bought a timeshare at the end of time. By allowing your mortal flesh to be a vessel for all of eternity you can momentarily break the Laws of Cooldown Dynamics.

Transforms you into a Time Skeleton who has the power to use any of the previous abilities with 0 cooldown! For example, you can Time Flux -> Lease of Time -> Time Flux. You're also invulnerable but are not able to melee while a Time Skeleton.​

Enjoy. Highly recommend trying it out in debug mode (with -debug-flag added to the command line arguments). Change the cooldowns to 0 - it's pretty fun to just mess around with the teleport spells.

Download version 1.0

Note: I've had one report of certain spells (Bolt Time, meleeing your past self, Grandfather Clock Paradox) crashing/freezing the game. If this happens let me know.

Cullen, Stryke, Klokinator and 6 others like this.
  2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I will give it a try after I get some sleep. (Lack of Coffee...)

3. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Does Clock Paradox work across floors? 'Cause that'd be awesome.

4. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

Excellent work. I will comb over the game files to learn how you got it all to work. Thank you for commenting everything.

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It does not.

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Awesome. Glad you finally released it.

7. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

What's the benefit in casting Time Flux?

8. Ruigi

run down cooldowns.

9. Null

Also you're about to die to a dot and can't cure it. Then the invincibility will let it run out.

10. Ruigi

J-Factor, do you think it is possible to add a playerhiteffect buff to daydreaming that cancels the daydreaming effect, so that you wake up when a monster hits you?

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Obviously I need to read more XML, but I too am interested very much in the ability to make/modify a mod that adds skills and/or consumables that remove specific buffs and/or debuffs while not effecting those not specified.

Such would be required to make my Drug Addict mod work well with anything else.

12. Ruigi

check the xml of Chronomancy, it's filled with many such instances.

13. Null

Crashed from gnome attacking during bolt time while it wasn't affected at the same time as Precognition ended.
    Crashed from casting Summon Past Self.

Yay more bugs that may or may not be your fault.

14. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Many benefits:
    • Maxed :life_regen: / :mana_regen: will let you recover :life:25 / :mana:25
    • Eating/Drinking before entering the flux will let you recover another :life:25 / :mana:25
    • Any DOTs you have applied to enemies will do their full damage (e.g. long DOTs like Vile Poison)
    • Any DOTs on you are rendered harmless
    • Any AOE clouds you're in are rendered harmless (nothing else short of a teleport can do this)
    • Cooldowns are reduced by 25
    Honestly it should have a longer cooldown than 15 turns.

Regarding crashes / changing daydream - I'm looking into it.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, it's pretty ridiculous.

Swashbuckling (40 turns till next SB) -> Time Flux (15 turns till next SB) -> Bolt Time (9 turns till next SB)

OmniNegro and Essence like this.
  15. Sir Sneaky

Sir Sneaky Member

Sounds like a lot of fun, i'll give it a go.

16. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

Time Flux seems risky, I mean, what if you got surrounded during those 25 turns? Maybe you could turn invisible, or perhaps there could be a stun effect at the end around you.. I just know I wouldn't want to use such a spell carelessly as a caster.

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

That's the whole point - you risk getting surrounded, or anything similar happening to you, for being able to reduce cooldowns on your skills by 25 pretty much instantly and being able to buffer 25 turns oh healing in one "turn".
    The skill itself is pretty reasonable, but is something that can't be used idiotically.

18. Ruigi

Time flux is massively powerful if you have a lot of cooldown skills.

19. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Agree with Kazeto. The more skill and strategy involved in using a skill the more powerful it's allowed to be.

Also, outside of Dragon Initiate I can't think of too many cooldown intensive skill trees to cram my skillbar with, so its power will be inherently limited unless you choose to build your entire character around a capstone skill that requires you be CL 7 before you even have it available.

20. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Time Flux is level 4, not level 8.

Burglary is a good mix. Ley Line Tap is big powa. Haematic Phylactery.

but the big winner of them all is Werediggle -- only 5 turns of 'real' downtime between morphs? yes, please!