Dredmor Patch 1.0.10 RC9 Feedback Thread - I Believe in The Lever Fix

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Ribkage

Ribkage Member

This patch makes the game quite a bit more fun. Did something change with item diversity? I seem to get equal-ish amounts of maces and axes to swords now. Before no matter what Id get way way way more swords than all other weapons on every single floor.

Something should be added in the game where if you have a weapon skill it should slightly up the drop rate over other weapon types. I hate that in every single game if I take axe skill, Id get all maces and swords. If I take sword, all axes and maces... Seems more even now but still never what I needs in the four or so games Ive played since the this beta patch.

EDIT
    I found an actual bug. No matter what staircase I use from floor 2 to get up to floor 1 I come out the same exact one on floor one.

2. Glazed

Glazed Member

This happened to me the other night, but I can't reproduce it now. I went down some stairs just to get away from some monsters and heal up. Then I went right back up the same stairs and came out of a staircase I hadn't even discovered yet.

3. I'm sorry to ask this so last-minute, but is there any chance you could add hooks so that you can have different effects happen depending on what item you sacrifice with a spell?

Say, if I sacrificed a sword, and I got a "Soul of Thibault" buff which randomly procced Trompement whenever I attacked, but if I sacrificed an axe, I could give myself a buff that procced Axenado. I'd love to be able to do that.

4. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Let's put it in the queue for the next patch, 'eh. (Nicholas! Features cut off!)

ElectricMessiah likes this.
  5. Fair enough, as long as the inverse buff integration made it in, I'm happy :)

6. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

taxa doesn't work on <effect type="trigger" />

Technically a bug (as Turn Demon is meant to use this) but not particularly important, although it would open a lot more spell options.

7. Just want to put my two cents in: I don't like how Mushroom Farmer was treated at all. Much of the way my build thrives revolves around being able to collect quite a few mushrooms. Having to run around for twenty turns just to be able to get mushrooms off of two fallen enemies is a bit annoying but, after an initial build up of mushrooms, I could adjust to that. Having a chance that no mushroom will appear at all (is it set at 15-20%?) feels like a kick in the face, especially when it happens two or three times in a row. If it had half the cool down, that wouldn't be as annoying.

I am assuming that you removed spore collecting for a reason, but I hope the chance that no mushroom appears, on top taking away the ability to collect spores, is a bug. Easily the main reason to take the Fungal Arts has been greatly diminished, and now I feel forced to waste two skill points early in order to get to Moldsmithing. I never even worried about putting more than one skill point in it before, if at all.

On top of their being no mushrooms at times, I also seem to be getting tofu +5% of the time. Could you please get rid of the chance for tofu/chance for nothing mechanic or at least lower the cooldown by half, in not both? That, or put in a significant chance to get more than one mushroom.

Great game, but this new twist just jacked up my playing style, and since this is a single player game and the change in game mechanic was extreme, it grates a bit. Have a good one.

8. Marak

Marak Member

Perhaps you've grown too reliant of having stacks of 80 of *Fungus types that supports your current build best* (read: an effectively infinite number), and the developers want to scale back the obscene amount of useful Mushrooms (about 80 of them per Floor if you're obsessive about it) you can stockpile using the current method?

9. Ribkage

Ribkage Member

80? I had 300 Fairywodger and on the last floor on easy, had literally 20 after the boss. Course, after realizing I can use the spores in the hordradic lutefisk cube... I never made another mushroom again. Something had to change with the spores.

I really cant wait for this patch. The game is a bit more fun now overall imo. Except I want to get steam achieves again and the autosave/save game bug is annoying me. I play with permadeath off so it affects me greatly to almost making the rc2 patch unplayable.

And without a doubt, theres still 5 times as many swords as everything else. I take back what I said about diversity in my other post. Its 75% swords, 25% staves/axes/maces, I literally got a big shop with like 7 counters and all items except 2 were swords... am I the only one who notices this in the game? Just unlucky?

10. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Actually, I've had almost the exact same experience, except with maces. In fact, I saw the Asgardian Stormhammer in a store on both the first and second levels of my most recent run. If I wasn't playing unarmed that would have been awesome. Most of the other stuff I've found has been of the blunt instrument variety, although some of them were admittedly staves rather than maces. It may just be a rather extreme case of RNG clumping.

On the Mushroom Farmer topic: 1) If you take the skill and then never put a point in it, there's something wrong with the skill tree. 2) Let's not complain about changes that haven't been made yet. I'm sure that if Fungal Arts becomes a proc on death it will have a reasonable chance of happening (say 50%), not be super rare in an attempt to make the skill useless. 3) If you always play with a skill, you should seriously think about playing five or six runs without the skill, just so you can get an idea of what the game is like without it. That's how I broke myself of the Archaeology habit. And you know what? I rarely miss that skill. Diversify. It's a good thing.

11. Perhaps?!? Fell Truffle is a helluva drug! My cartel had the whole West Coast supplied and locked down. Now, just...well, competition in this business...it is gonna get a bit bleedy all up in here.

Actually, I didn't keep nor use most of them. That was my never-ending money supply, along with all the pure alcohol and poison you could shake a stick at. I play a no spells, no wands staff/archer build, so I need the Puffballs and the Mud Wens to help with AOE attacks as well as affording me a moment to peddle my backside out of harms way. The Night Caps provide me a cheap supply of Aqua Vitae. Now that invisibility works, it is less of an issue than it was, but playing permadeath and not being very good, I needed all the help I could get not to waste a game.

But, yeah, it was way too powerful...this way is more enjoyable now that I have adjusted.

Just wanted to add:

1. Getting CTDs pulling levers occasionally. So far, when it happens, there has still been at least one UberChest that was locked on the level. It could just be coincidence, but I wanted to state it in case it would be useful in any way.

2. I don't seem to be able to craft the Pirate Training Breeches, though I have all of the requisite materials.

3. I haven't tried making a Trapper's Toolbelt yet, but it looks as if it might require four components: a Spring-loaded Power Core, Brass Mechanisms, Tinkerers Parts, and ???? (just a blank, square box.) Possibly it only needs the three parts though, and the empty box is superfluous. Still, something is off a bit here.

Ribkage: To answer your query, I find that I have a much better balance in overall weapon distribution relative to sword distribution than you are getting, just so you know.

Lorrelian: You're right about everything you said. I was just practicing the The Sluggard's Way.

Marak likes this.
  12. Ribkage

Ribkage Member

I have the exact same archaeology habit honestly. I dont even consider not taking it, its on every character I make since the first time Ive tried it. Its honestly just too good. Trap sight and removal bonus, ridiculous xp gain since money has little value after the first few floors and double krog usage? AND you can redo stats on artifacts. I wont be breaking this habit.

Back to shrooms... does the corpse disappear when a mushroom pops on it for the effect because if it does itll be one of those things you never ever can take with say, vampirism (maybe necro to due to corpse explode). I think something does need to change with the spores, if for no other reason than being able to get a super duper artifact every floor on lutefisk statues. Maybe just dont make the mushroom consume the corpse. And in order to want to put points into it, and make it an actual decent choice over other things make the chance to auto spawn a shroom go up with every point in fungal arts.

I also found another couple bugs in the new patch.
    A water monster spawning in the middle of the floor in the room with the 3 runes and the lever for a vending machine (fourth floor). And You know those rooms with the 3x3 square of water in the middle of the room with the land square in the center for an item... had a vandalism statue spawn in that square. It may not even be a bug. Also you can still eat your belt. Right click new belt while other belt is equipped and the old equipped one just disappears.

Ive owned the game since november and just started playing obsessively about a week ago, so the water monster thing may also be old.

EDIT
    Yeah I couldnt craft Pirate Training Breeche either and had everything. Just noting it.

13. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

What exactly is this?

14. badboy80

badboy80 Member

It's something to do with SDL libraries code or something. Not really relevant to the gameplay...

15. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Personally, I think the proc-on-kill for Mushroom Farmer being about 33% and destroying the corpse along with creating the mushroom is about right. So you can't Corpse Drain them -- that's OK, you get Blungecaps and Fairywodger to make up for that.

The real problem with Fungal Arts is Combat Mycology. The slime pet is great for floors 1-2 when you first get it; the mushroom transmutation is wonderful at lower floors to turn stacks of 40 Azure Mob-Bonnets into Hoglanterns or whatnot, and the mobile combat mushroom at level 5 is a decent 3-4 hit distraction for floor 12 mobs. Combat Mycology, however, is just kind of wussy. Just a bit beefier and the entire skillstack would be good.

if you can't already, the ability to feed your pet mushroom mushrooms would perfect the line, IMHO. :)

16. Sade

Sade Member

Blink Curse Traps seem to always affect the player, even when triggered by enemies.

17. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

SDL_Image is the library we have previously used for loading images. We got rid of it as part of a Secret Project to get Dredmor onto a new platform. (I think I can say that much without anybody killing me.) Same with the OpenAL rewrite, although that's made our music just that much better, and same with the removal of a few other things.

A lot of the internal plumbing has been redone for this port, mainly by Ryan. It's getting there. So many Seekrit Things going on; we just need to wait!

Re: the Fungal Arts stuff - I'm going to change it to a Proc on Death this weekend and hopefully get another patch beta out. I do agree that Fungal Arts was a skill before that you could build entire runs around (in the same way that archeology was). I actually spent most of yesterday hacking in annoying things that nobody wants, and that will kill you, so now I feel better about the monster population distributions on floors 8, 12, and 13.

blob and Marak like this.
  18. That sounds great. By the way, I've been trying to help you guys out by attempting to trigger the inverse buff integration bug on purpose, and it hasn't been working out too well :(

What's the status on that bug, out of curiosity?

19. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Yay! I was right!

20. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Getting fixed so that Daynab will shut up about it; but not fixed yet. :) I have some savegames, somewhere, that repro the problem. I just have to dig them out and poke things through the debugger until it's dealt with.

Essence and Marak like this.