Runecaster Mod: Craft runes and destroy your enemies!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Ruigi, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

BTW, I noticed that Rune of Health works on pets. Making the Steel Golem much, much nastier. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  2. Mckye

Mckye Member

Its likely a fully broken idea, but I am one of those that hate that by taking a specific path, I am blocked from crafting of any sort.

i.e. if I am playing a mage, I have to resort to finding everything unless I take at very least alchemy, which I don't always want,

with that said, I would love it if Runecasting had one or more runes of forbidden-ish knowledge that gave you a huge boost to crafting skill(s) (one rune that boosted all, or one for each skill) however, had a massive drawback, such as paralysis for 10 turns or maybe a long lasting curse... maybe the forbidden knowledge prevents you from regenerating mana for 50 turns.. who knows, but I would love it if going one direction didn't completely rule out all forms of crafting.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Essence

LOL Sorry to break it to you, McKye, but if you're a Runecaster, you're not crafting anything.

[​IMG]

That's a whopping fifteen empty slots that don't end up devoted to either runes, runewords, or the kits needed to craft them. if you want to craft anything under those conditions, you'd better be ready to not carry any ammunition, food, or booze. :D

OmniaNigrum and Wi§p like this.
  4. jadkni

jadkni Member

In my case, those last 15 slots are all wands, food, and booze. ;)

Not that I'm complaining. Runewords are DAMN powerful, you have to pay for that somehow.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Essence

Exactly. Though I have been mildly disappointed by the 5th circle runes. Love gets resisted an awful lot, and Entropy seems to do nothing a very surprising amount of the time (like 25%). Destruction is perfect, and Power is...odd. It seems totally uber, but for some reason it just doesn't quite seem to live up to it's billing. Yes, every other shot is a critical (I'm using Stone Fist, so I'm at -50 crit up front), and every spell effect is a Haywire (which is nice), but it seems like in most cases I'd rather be stacking 2-3 Runes of Fire and/or Ice and/or Decay than lighting up one Rune of Power and then 1-2 of the others.

Speaking of which, can anyone tell me with certainty whether or not Haywire skips Magic Resist the same way that Critical skips Dodge/Block/Counter?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

maybe love should be an AOE effect.

never really had a chance to test that one.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Ruigi

1.6 update

OmniaNigrum, Essence and Daynab like this.
  8. Mckye

Mckye Member

I suggested it due to the fact that I never have enough mana to accumulate that many runes, and can never seem to find any good mana regen shields/rings/armor/staves and would be very happy with the ability to craft said items, even if it meant temporarily giving up some inventory space to lug around the components.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. jadkni

jadkni Member

Multiple charmed targets kill each other from what I remember. Which would be less "Love" and more "Carnage".

But if you did change Love to do something else, there's an idea for "Carnage". ;)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

At the risk of sounding rude:

That's the whole point of being limited to seven skills. You can't have everything, and getting to 1/turn regeneration with the proper setup is not just possible, but easy if you take ley walker in the bargain. If you had everything (like one guy's mod, which was rapidly denounced by the mod community at large as being overpowered, since it invalidated pretty much all the craft skills and the main draws of several others), that would be pretty much overpowered.

Trade-offs and making decisions about your abilities to handle situations is part and parcel of rogueliking.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Ruigi

Jealous lovers want you for themselves.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It's because they don't forget their target when the target becomes charmed.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I am playtesting this now. Thank you for making it! I have basically no idea what sort of character to make for this. Mana is badly needed to use this, but it can be recharged by locking yourself in a room with several pets so nothing can get in.

Does Spell Power have any real effect here?

Should I make a mostly Warrior/Rogue build for this? Crafting is clearly out though.

14. Essence

I've played a straight caster Runecaster, a half-Rogue Runecaster, and an almost-all-fighter Runecaster, and I have to say they've all been successful in completely different ways. I think the best way to use Runecaster is to combine it with either an offensive blaster-type mage and use the 2nd level Runes as your fallback nukes and 3rd/4th/5th as emergency buttons, or to combine it with a badass melee artists and rely on the lower-level runes -- the 1st level runes all work very well with Warriors, allowing you huge Dodge or continuous regen while blocking off the space next to you with displace or knockback damage so you can create chokepoints as you need. 2nd level runes are good zoo-softeners for such a character, but you hardly need more than 3 Runecaster levels (mass 1st level runes) to go with your melee badassness.

OmniNegro likes this.
  15. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This looks like a mod worthy of being included in the base game by default. It may be too potent in some areas, but it is well adjusted in that there is no mod to double your inventory space. :)

It works well with anything with different strategies available for every possible build. (As Essence described above.) And it is not possible to really abuse this any more than everything else in th game already. I love it!

Thank you again Ruigi. (Is your avatar image Mario as the "Troll Faced Meme?)

16. Ruigi

You don't think the 4th level runes are worth anything? I think you should at least try out runewords of light. They give a very nice defensive buff when you stand on them, and runewords of power are good for any build.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Essence

Oh, no, I never said that! In fact, I'm not sure how you got that out of what I wrote. The 4th level runes are some of the best; my mage used Prophecy constantly, Restoration regularly, and Death a couple of times. Light not really, but then I never really got into a situation where I needed the resists or the offense vs. Demons/Undead. I think I only ever crafted two of them.

No, my point is that both the fighter and the mage types really benefited a lot from the lower-level runes; the higher-level ones are super strong (and fun as hell), but you don't need them to get a LOT of juice out of Runecaster.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Ruigi

it's not written in anywhere, but rune of light also gives you a chance to cast blinding flash when you are hit, if you are standing on the glyph. it also gives your melee attacks a chance to inflict the undead/demon burning effect that happens when they step on the rune.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Essence

Ah, see, my caster version wasn't ever hit in melee, and my CoE weapon was so nasty that I don't think I would've noticed the proc on hit -- between my buffed Golem and I, we two-hit pretty much everything. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Ruigi

1.7 update

OmniaNigrum likes this.