Community Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Blind Piper, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Essence, Null, or other code gurus - we're now keeping track of open, unanswered questions that can help us figure out whether a given task is achievable, and if so, how. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlCkkeUwgmZ3dHZLU2pZSUltYnhHY19SVVZJRFMtUHc#gid=14

Current questions are:
    1. Can monsters be written to target allied monsters with buff spells?
    2. Are there limitations to animation length and/or creature size (largest currently being 72p square)?
    3. Is it possible for an ability procced from the player (with a monster as its target) to force a monster to teleport, other than placing a triggering buff on it?
    4. Any action or conditional triggers for scripts that arent yet in use in either Core or RotDG? (editor's note - the scope of this question is a bit large and vague)
    There's always room for more on this crazy train. For starters, maybe our current artists can pass you any overflow work that they don't have time to tackle?

MrAltamente and Essence like this.
  2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

For some reason, Google Docs hates my computer, so I can't really use it (but it's a good idea nonetheless.)

1) I'm fairly certain that <ai hint="ally"> will do just that.
    2) no idea.
    3) Yes. <effect type="displace">, as per Love Will Teleport Us Apart, will do that.
    4) Yes, but I'm going to leave that to Null or J-Factor; their understanding is better than mine.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

as for effects (which I assume you mean by actions)
    suction pulls a monster to the player and can cause bleeding (of course you have that there)
    blind is essentially a different version of confuse
    destroyobject destroys doors, blockers, traps, elements, doors etc. Don't destroy only one of a set of doors or crashes will occur. Yes you could destroy a shrine with this (but you couldn't explicitly target it).
    magicmapping reveals the entire map of the level
    oil I actually forget what it does but it exists (technically it is used in a spell but that spell itself isn't used)
    summonhostile is one now
    root technically is one but it's 100% identical to paralyze afaik

I don't quite know what you mean by conditional triggers. stuff like targetHitEffectBuff?
    All of them are either used or new in 1.0.10 and thus documented

There's also targeting types, of which the major rather unused ones are fireball, area and cone. They take a radius argument in the <spell/> tag. Fireball is a circle around the target, area targets all hittables within radius of the player, and cone is a 90 degree cone of radius radius, which is facing wherever it is casted or triggered from.
    Hittables are just about anything that isn't an empty tile or wall, objects, monsters, engravings, the player, blood, gargoyles, traps, etc.
    Then there is the ever useful target_zombie that can target only zombys.

Also in buffs there is the multiBuff tag, that changes how many times the player can attack by amount (1 is normal, -1 is none, 2 is two attacks per turn).

spells can also have the multiattack attribute, which casts the spell multiple times (one could for instance make an attack="1" spell with this to attack multiple times in one turn).

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

Ugh, sorry for the inactivity, everyone. Midterms kind of pounced on me and my homework and business work load has increased. Constructs are coming along. I'm thinking for the attack animation having the head transform into a weapon and slashing/bashing/etc.

5. Loswaith

Loswaith Member

Conditional triggers (and actions for that matter) are part of the scripts one can add to rooms, basically a conditional part in an "if" statement, an example of one conditional trigger being conditinal_type="at". They are actually stipluated as a conditional element within a script element block.
    It was a query as to whether other conditional or action typeshave been coded for yet havent been used in roomDB.

Where as the targetHitEffectBuff, is more akin to a function call.

6. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

7. Everyone's hands are sorta tied until patch 1.0.10's features and new bugs gel into a final state, really. I look forward to bickering over our design differences at that time! :D

Edit: also, here's a super interesting chunk of information about the way rooms are spawned, which may be useful to our design considerations.
    http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/this-game-wants-to-kill-me.2616/#post-25758

8. blob

blob Member

My hands arent really tied by that for the mimic art, but this week is the GDC so I cant really do much.

9. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yeah, pretty much.
    In my case it's also caused by me having to do something else for money this once (I did finish about an hour ago). And by the fact that I've the afternoon shift tomorrow and my girlfriend reserved the rest of the day (and night) for herself. But after that, I'll be free to work on the code once again (and this time I'll give you something to review).

10. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

This Lutefisk Cleric was an idea I had myself. I would love to work on it if it's available.

11. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

Nobody's signed up to take on a Lutefisk Cleric skillset on the google doc. Things have been moving pretty slowly currently; Kazeto has been making some updates and I've finished almost all of my work for this semester, so my spriting has been picking up.

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Pretty much what Blind Piper said. I don't know about others, but for the last 2 months and then some I barely had time to do anything, for a variety of reasons that drive me crazy.
    Still, the skill is there on the list of things to do, so it's not like we are abandoning it; it just is yet to be done.

13. Elitist

Elitist Member

I suppose I'll chime in. If you need another coder/artist I'd be happy to help. I'm reasonably new to the coding but I've been picking it up fast.

14. Essence

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes Essence, we are alive. It's just that we've united the core group now due to only us actually doing anything, and thus we are using another place to discuss the daily progress instead of using this thread.

So, wanted to ask anything or are you just content with finding out that we still exist?

16. Essence

Just that. I see the Heimdallr in people's sigs and it makes me excited to know what's going on with the ubermod. :)

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, it's progressing. Not as quickly as we all would've wanted (you can blame me for that if it makes you feel better), but the work is getting done. Right now we're working on "potion" items and on one of the skill trees that the mod is supposed to add.

Essence likes this.
  18. NaiDriftlin

NaiDriftlin Member

I didn't even know this was a thing. Now I'm having to read all of these pages to figure out what's going on.

19. congressional

congressional Member

I'd be willing to get on board with this, it looks fun. I know my way around xml coding and can do basically anything but drawing; Though I know how to use photoshop so I could do palette swaps/sprite texture modifications/etc. or other busywork.

20. There's been a lot of the following dialogue:

"I'd like to do something! Can I help?"
    "Sure, grab a rake!"
    "Uh, what's left to do exactly?"
    "Oh, everything..."
    ((Volunteer has hidden itself in a box))

As such, we'll be putting out a few specific requests that you can jump in and fill, should you wish to. Expect those requests alongside our first batch of preview material!

Kazeto and Daynab like this.