My inventory management strategy

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by RaustBlackDragon, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Item Storage Strategy.png

What I do is, whenever I find a large monster zoo, I drop all of my excess equipment, potions I never use, and crafting materials into this room. It's large, so I can lay everything out in single-layer stacks, and because it's a monster zoo, it shows up in bright blue on the map, so I can easily find it. I make an occasional stop back in the zoo to drop off more stuff, and when I find and clear another large monster zoo, I move my stuff up there. It generally only takes two or three trips, and the convenience is substantial, especially if you're a crafting-heavy build.

Anybody else use something similar to this? If not, I hope I was helpful!

2. TheRani

TheRani Member

I often store piles of stuff next to eyeball thingies and mellow shrines and monoliths and suchlike. Not quite as organized as you though!

3. tehrei

tehrei Member

I usually just drop or skål the things I don't need :p this often leads to me carrying around 700+ lutefisk. Probably not optimal, but I'm too lazy to be as organized as the OP ^^
    In Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup on the other hand I do the exact same thing as OP is doing here, the thing is though, in DCSS I have a fast travel + waypoint system to do the walking around for me...

4. That is a GREAT IDEA!! My storage is all the way down on level 1 :( I'll be working to get it to my current level tonight and putting it in the zoo is a great plan

5. Intrinsic

Intrinsic Member

I guess in a way the Lair in DCSS == Monster Zoo, at least in name :) luckily in DoD you can leave stuff anywhere as they don't take your loot and use it against you unlike in DCSS.

I've yet to try crafting in DoD so luckily i can sell/convert most stuff, just keeping useful potions/wands. I tend to place them near a shop atm.

6. Nighpher

Nighpher Member

Brilliants!

7. BDR1985

BDR1985 Member

Keeping stashes near map symbols is essential for memory IMO. Now, as for how you organize your stacks, I keep too many items around for your method to be efficient; instead of one tile per item, I have one tile per item type, so I have a tile for weapons, a tile for armor, a tile for unique items, and so on, which cuts down on the space used considerably so that I can get to all the items as needed and/or desired.

8. My inventory management strategy is to leave multiple piles of clutter on several floors, close to Brax shops. And then forget to go back and use most of it.

iconoplast, SkyMuffin and alamar like this.
  9. OmegaJasam

OmegaJasam Member

skål IS my inventory management system.

10. Great post. I started using this method. I lay it out in stacked piles though. A group of items I consider my core used stuff and then pile classes of items to sell, near a Brax. What RDB does is a lot of work. :)

11. Cool Joe

Cool Joe Member

I do this. Though not quite as spread out and not as many crafting ingredients. I usually choose a location that's near a store or a useful vending machine and that's close to both an up and a down stairs.

12. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

Used to be, on runs where I couldn't find a Fisk box, I'd just take all my loot from a floor and pile it on one tile somewhere, then come back and fisk it later.

Then one day, I took tinkering and had a huge pile of traps with me. I stacked them all on that tile. And forgot about them.

And walked over them fifteen minutes later.

"Congratulations! You have died!"

13. rulinus

rulinus Member

since i found my first lutafisk cube in level 1 (i know, great luck there!) the strategy i use is;

*Keep potions (i mean buff potions)
    *Turn the reagents(not have a crafting skill), mushrooms(no mush skill), %90 of the food and mana(usually 1 stack of them is enough for me) into lutefisk
    *Turn shitty weapons, armor and equipment(between 1-3 or 1-4 stars) into lutefisk.
    *Sell gems, wands(insane gold income), bolts(again, many golds!) rest of the badass items with high value and some valuable tools to shop keeper.

that way i always run around with 1/2 or 1/3 full inventory(mostly buff potions). dont lose time over storing the shit on floor, have lots of lutefisk and crap load of gold.:D