Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Aquaman, Feb 14, 2012.

?

How terrible are you at dwarf fortress ;)

1. I've never played!

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Completely Confused

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. I'm the worstest

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm not THAT bad

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Boatmurdered bows down to me!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

actually dfterm has built in chat, i used to host servers with it back in the df forums, if people are interested i could start hosting it occasionally here also

2. A thousand times yes! I'm up for the challenge of setup if there are people to play it, but if you already know what you're doing I'll gladly ride Shotgun or Bitch Seat on this one.

3. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

BTW; The upcoming Game of Dwarves seems to be a nice looking DF-like, although it seems like it could very easily end up a bit too casual for my tastes.. Still seems like it will be worth a look.

Personally I just want a DF with a reasonable U/I, graphics and constant updates would be a big plus too, maybe a slight flavor change could be interesting though.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/16/a-chat-of-a-game-of-dwarves/

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

The one you shown us Wi§p kind of is like Dwarf Fortress. But with a learning curve instead of cliff. And graphics are always a nice bonus (though never more than a bonus; I seriously don't understand people who buy stuff solely for graphics, only to later complain that gameplay sucks).

5. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Do you know about danger rooms?

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yes but I'm too lazy to try them out. Usually I have my dwarves go fight the wildlife all the time (free meat!)

7. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

You really should. A 3x3 room (5x5 taking the walls into account) with 3 training spears in each space (except the center where you put an armor stand or weapon rack to designate it as barracks) is enough to train any number of units into power-armored saiyans.

Heck, you could do it with just a 2x1 room since AFAIK dwarves don't care about being stacked.

8. Daynab

9. I'm not sure how the latest version of DF could possibly be "Newb" friendly! Evil rain this, vampire mayors that, here a blood, there a diseased fog, everywhere a moo-moo...

I may give it a shot, though. Have to decide how much I love my current fort. I think I love it six.

Anything notable in the latest release of DF for people who don't like "Fun"? (Well, I like Fun, but my skills are barely to the point where I can handle the Fun I create for myself. Goblins and kobolds at my fort have like a 70% success rate, I shudder to imagine worse creatures)

10. Daynab

Well a few things are better, such as the unit screen showing different units (animals, enemies etc) in different tabs. A few good improvements here and there.

11. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Make a bunker out of the entrance to your fort - A vertical rather than horizontal entrance, wall it all around except for a drawbridge on one of the sides, and if you feel industrious build an archer tower upwards from the bunker. Then train your soldiers in a danger room and you're ready to go.

Rarefied Horse Meat likes this.
  12. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

It updated again! X.X

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And thus losing had become even more fun.

14. Tycho

Tycho Member

Started a game as soon as I downloaded and unzipped it. I am currently overseeing "The Oiled Shafts" as they turn "Knifemurders" from their humble hole in the ground into their mighty fortress.

Aquaman likes this.