Windows Vista/7 64-bit Seemingly random crashes.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by faeornran, Feb 18, 2012.

1. faeornran

faeornran Member

I love this game but it's really hard to play. I have seemingly random crashes when I'm moving, when I'm picking up loot and my latest, reading a recipe from a bookshelf. When I tried to close the recipe, it crashed.

Attached is a couple of files I found that looks like logging output in the directory.

Also, here's the Windows crash readout info:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
    Application Name:Dungeons of Dredmor.exe
    Application Version:0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp:4f03bd95
    Fault Module Name:Dungeons of Dredmor.exe
    Fault Module Version:0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp:4f03bd95
    Exception Code:c0000005
    Exception Offset:000f8550
    OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID:1033
    Additional Information 1:0a9e
    Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3:0a9e
    Additional Information 4:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    I don't know if this will help with anything, but if there's a fix I can do myself I'd fully appreciate it!
    Also, the stderr file doesn't appear to have any text in it, so I'm leaving it out.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The recipe crash will be fixed in the coming patch, as well as hopefully all the random ones.

3. When is that patch? I'm experiencing a similar problem for even loading wand recipes now.

4. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

When it's finished.
    Most probably in a few days, but my words on the matter aren't official.

5. Well because 4 of my runs on level 1 crash without an autosave, I am pretty impatient on the matter.

6. Daynab

In the meantime you can go down/up staircases as you walk by them if you want to save quickly.

7. Is it for every staircase?

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

~sigh~

No, only for when you want your game to be saved.

9. Daynab

Since it autosaves everytime you go down a staircase, you can go by them and do it each time quickly.

The crashes should be fixed in the next patch, but regardless there's a 5minute autosave being added which should take care of the hassle.

10. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

I have the same problem with random crashes. If it makes fixing the patch faster or easier on your part I can send you a dxdiag and a crashlog if the game creates one (Ill need to know what folder to look in on that one though).

11. xpancakes11x

xpancakes11x Member

What if the stairs cause the crash? Multiple times when I go down to the next level I crash. So much so that I have had to start playing with permanently dieing off and saving before any stairs...and saving before any bookshelf...pretty much saving before anything.

12. Brickman

Brickman Member

I've had that "crash from bookshelves" happen to me twice today. And one of those characters was about the deepest I'd gotten so far too (and might've been on Rogue even, I can't remember). I had no idea turning off permadeath let you recover from crashes; I didn't even realize the game was supposed to autosave. I think I'm gonna have to turn it off and just start manually deleting my dead characters' saves. I almost think that with the number of crashes this game has it should be turned off by default and have a little warning message pop up when you select it (or, you know, have some mechanism built in to enforce permadeath without losing autosaves).

I really hope that patch comes soon. Is it just a bugfix patch?

13. Grim Peeper

Grim Peeper Member

You could always play Permadeath by the honor system...you know, if your character happens to die, then you go in and delete the save yourself. It won't get you the PD achievements, but it will make it possible to play in the PD style until a proper crash fix is implemented.

Edit: It just occurred to me that this is exactly what you meant. I need a nap. /edit

1.0.10 has many new features, but it's also a bugfix and a bit of a rebalance on certain skill sets (Plunder now works, Shrooming has been nerfed). Since it's still beta testing, though, I wouldn't recommend downloading it to fix your problems...because it's got problems of its own. Unless you want to help with bug testing! The more the merrier, I say.