Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Aquaman, Feb 14, 2012.

?

How terrible are you at dwarf fortress ;)

1. I've never played!

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Completely Confused

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. I'm the worstest

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm not THAT bad

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Boatmurdered bows down to me!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

Thats right, IT FINALLY UPDATED. This is the place to discuss all things dwarf fortress related :D

Anyone for a succession game?

2. I just started getting in to this game. Decided to stick with the previous build until I get all the basics down. I've been enjoying it a lot so far and can't wait to actually create a successful fort

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah last night I saw when it came out I was so happy. Phoebus quickly updated the tileset to work with the new version too!

Sadly Dwarf Therapist won't work for a bit as far as I know, so I'm gonna have to wait for that to play Dwarf Mode.

4. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

I've always thought it looked interesting, but learning to use the UI has always stopped me from properly trying it out..

5. blob

blob Member

I guess I'll have to try it out again. I'm still at the " completely confused" stage.
    Could anyone share some tips or knows a page that explains the basics ?

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Try to get one of the earlier versions of the game. It's easier to learn with those and later get a newer version than it is to start dry with the newest one.

7. blob

blob Member

Well I first tried years ago with the very first version released, didnt work for me.

8. http://afteractionreporter.com/2009...newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
    This is the best, most comprehensive tutorial ever made. Unfortunately it's for an older version of DF, but the post itself includes that older copy so you'll be able to play along just fine.

Just expect that if you try to play a newer version of the game, there will be new things to screw you. (but by then you'll be more prepared for that, and trained how to think like a good dwarf herder)

...admittedly, when new builds of DF came out, I simply stopped playing. I was holding out hope that AAR would make similar tutorials for the new versions, but over time I forgot about the whole thing.

blob likes this.
  9. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Has anybody already seen the new stuff in fortress mode?

I've only seen the purple "I" towers at worldgen, and the option to cut economic and non-economic stone at the jeweler's shop.

10. Daynab

Here's the most recent tutorials, works on DF2010 which is still essentially the same gameplay as the newest version in fortress mode.
    http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0
    And here's my favorite tileset, it's also been updated for the newest version, but I suggest picking up the 31.25 version for now if you want to play fortress mode. (more on that below)
    http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2431
    The reason being that you most likely want Dwarf Therapist, the tool to manage your jobs/labor. Enabling and disabling manually the jobs of more than 15 or so dwarves becomes a huge exercise in frustration. What takes 10 minutes in game takes 10 seconds with DT. And it won't be up to date for a bit due to the fact a lot of stuff changed with the new version.
    https://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/

Or the easiest way, just pick up the Lazy Newb Pack http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
    Which includes all of the above, a handy GUI for personal preference etc.

blob likes this.
  11. Easy newb pack is amazing. Gets me straight to playing, and skips all the hassle bullshit - makes it more like a game, and less like homework.

12. jadkni

jadkni Member

I couldn't ever really get into DF, it's... impossible to figure out what you're doing without someone holding your hand the entire way. I generally know how to "play", but as for enjoying the game, I never got past the "adventure mode, biting sheep in the eye" phase.

13. Daynab

14. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

with therapist out, i can actually give it a try now, haha. And yeah the learning curve is steep. but once you learn to build/dig/give buildings tasks it becomes pretty easy...while i would say im not "completely lost" I still dont know how to command military dwarves all that well :p

also...graphic packs help...A TON :p

P.S If anyone claims that boatmudered bows down to them...then you my friend, must be a god among dwarves :D

15. Daynab

My go-to method for the military is simply to create a squad, metal armor (they'll still wear leather and whatnot if you dont have metal), preferred weapon, and leave schedules and such as default. that means training all year but I either put them inactive when I have them do other stuff, or later on just assign them to their barracks and they just spend all their time training.

16. ffschooler

ffschooler Member

DF gets much better once you climb the learning cliff and can play without a guide. The biggest changes in this release are the adventure mode changes: did you know you can sling spells as an adventurer with mods now? It's true. I also made a spell to temporarily transform into a forgotten beast.

17. Whoaaaaa!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:Dfterm2

Whoa!

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Yes RHM, there's multiplayer in DF.
    But it's a literal you-know-what if you don't have a good team to play (like a bunch of friends on LAN-party, where you can simply smack them if they wreck your plan).

19. We'd obviously have to all be on IRC, or even Ventrilo or something like that. But this is a pretty great community. I'd love to play DF with 2-4 other people from it sometime!