DoD Modding and Mod Installation Guide (Updated 6/5/2012)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Daynab, Dec 1, 2011.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

This thread gets weird random posts all the time, and it's probably too late to change that. Adding the skill number claims to it would make an ugly mess to have to hunt through whenever someone wants to start a new mod.

I'm guessing we need a new thread for the skill numbers, probably stickied, with someone dedicated to maintaining the first post of it, sort of like how Daynab runs the completed mod list.

2. kino5

kino5 Member

Well, if it's of any use, I'm using 505 for my skill tree right now, so I claim 505 to 510 just in case :D

3. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

As for IDs, I've used 555, 556, 557. I intend to work my way up from there. I doubt I'll ever hit Essence's 600; I plan on working on monster sprites at some point.

4. kino5

kino5 Member

I have another question: I've seen that some spells type is "template". What does it mean? Until now, I've been able to learn what other tags mean looking existing material in the original game files, but I don't understand this. Also, I've seen that template spells have an ID too, so i would like to know if this ID collides in some way with the IDs assigned to skills.
    Thanks for your help :)

5. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

"Template" essentially defintes a manual spell template that is used to define the area the spell will affect. There's a topic stickied to the top of the modding forum with the different templates and their IDs.

6. kino5

kino5 Member

Thanks for your answer, I'll check it out.

7. badboy80

badboy80 Member

When adding images for the mod, do you put the files in a folder called Skills, Sprites, etc, or can you just put them anywhere?

8. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

We tend to follow the syntax the base game uses.

Art for skills, buffs and the like, they go into Skills.

Items holds...well, items.

Dungeon holds dungeon textures, blocker art, and the like.

Generally, looking into each folder will give you an idea of what each folder is supposed to hold.

9. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Doesn't really matter as long as your pathname is correct.

10. Sir Sneaky

Sir Sneaky Member

Just getting into modding today and starting off with some weapons and equipment; is there any way to easily give yourself an item to see if the stats came out right and such? Googled around and couldn't find a way, and my first item is level 8 and would be kinda rare to just stumble across without playing into late-game.

11. Loren

Loren Member

one way would be to add it to the loadout for a skill, see archaeology in skilldb.xml for an example. Then take the skill.

12. Sir Sneaky

Sir Sneaky Member

Ah, of course. Thank you.

13. So, I have the the Essential DoD mods in my /mods/ folder, but when I open the game and click 'use' for both mods. I see six icons added in the skill selection it goes QiGong, Poisoner, Bushido, QiGong, Poisoner, Bushido. Which is strange, because it should have ninjutsu, warlockery, and silver toungue. Also, when I select these skills they do not get applied to my character upon beginning the game.

I tried this with a different mod and the same thing happens. Any suggestions?

14. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

OS-X?

15. Yes, I am currently running Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Edit: So, I tried it again with the "Dragon Knight" mod. Again it just showed QiGong, Poisoner, and Bushido. I do not know what is going on.

16. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

It is a known bug that OS X can only load one mod at a time. This is slated to be fixed in the Next Patch, which is Coming Soon.

17. Well, I tried only clicking "use" on one at a time. It still did not work. Any ideas?

18. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Nice image. :)

@Gorilla-Samurai
    On Macs, you cannot use more than one mod without problems. I am not a Mac user, so I cannot specify what problems, but if you look around you will see that with quite a bit of work you can usually merge multiple mods into one mod for it to work on Macs.

It is not going to be easy though. You are probably better off waiting for the patch, even if it is in the strange dimension of Valve programmers with their funny time scale.

20. I found out the problem. I probably should have specified that I was not running through steam (I bought it on humblebundle). Therefore, I was using a very old version of the game. I will not go through the trouble of trying to combine mods. Thanks for your help guys, and I look forward to your next mods!