Essential DoD Skills I and II Finally Game-Ready!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Check again. Are you sure there weren't TWO numbers?

And if there aren't, then that means that there's another mac-exclusive bug or something, because that's what happens with me.

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

There is a +1 slashing damage with a damageF of .34 attached to Kiaido. Probably the Batty's armor absorbed it in this case because I had a magic power of zilch due to armor and shield. Later in the game, you'll see a small bump in Kiaido damage that appears as a second floating number (especially if you're using QiGong or any magic skills), but that's later in the game -- I'm worried about the beginning. In the beginning, Kiaido's net effect is to remove 4-8 points of Critical from an enemy. Rah. Who cares? :)

3. So wait, you tried it again on a full-health enemy, and you DIDN'T see two numbers? Because if that's the case, then we've got an extremely weird mac-exclusive bug on our hands.

4. Essence

Try this. Start a character with Swords, Maces, Axes, Shields, Armor, Dodge, and Bushido. Using only the Wooden Training Sword, get a screenshot of two floating numbers. (Especially two identical floating numbers, which would be the case if what you're describing with Jump is actually happening.) Then I'll start worrying about a bug. :)

5. Here:
    bugtest.png

And before we dismiss this as a bug, please test this again yourself. Because it's entirely possible the second hit didn't register for you because you killed it with the first hit. If it's not happening for you, then this is indeed a bug.

Wi§p and Essence like this.
  6. Essence

Hah. Turns out you're right. I can't believe I've never caught that before.

So, should I eliminate the Wakizashi, or remove the <effect type="damage"> line that's causing the second attack to occur?

7. Depends on what you intended Kiaido to be. I had noticed its power from the first time I used it, and I assumed its primary purpose was as a powerful attack. Obviously that wasn't your intention, so if you can, try and nerf it to what you've been under the impression it actually was for so long. But even then, do ANY starting warrior skills in the vanilla game have a huge impact in the absolute earlygame? I see no reason why bushido should be any different.

8. Essence

Yes. Master of Arms is HUGE in the early game, with a loadout that gives +2 Armor Absorb. Shieldmaster is pretty significant, too.

Kiaido was never intended to be a superpowered attack -- it's purpose has always been to keep you from getting critted.

<pondering>

9. What kind of critical rates can monsters get, anyway? Has anybody figured out the exacts?

Because depending on the numbers, that -50 might be enough to nullify critical chance ENTIRELY, which would be kinda overpowered as an AOE thing.

10. Essence

I can tell you that I've gotten crat through Kiaido. Once. Maybe -30 would be better. :)

More importantly, it's critically stupid that there's no way to create a skill that simply adds a single point of damage to a melee attack. Literally the LEAST you can do is double the damage and add one point to the second half of the doubling.

That's really, really lame.

11. Have you tried what I did with jump? Right before the attack in the code, have a +1 melee power buff apply to your character for that turn only?

12. Essence

Updated to remove the extra damage.

The melee power buff is a smart solution. But you still can't add, for example, a single point of Necromantic damage to an attack skill without having it deal an entire second attack. That's what I mean. :)

13. Actually no. Melee power adds itself to any crushing, blasting, or slashing damage done by any attack classified as a "melee attack". I think if you changed the blasting to righteous, the effect would vanish.

14. Essence

I don't think you're understanding what I mean.

Apparently, as per Jump, any "attack=1" skill attacks an adjacent square when it's activated.

Then, for every <effect type="damage"> line in the code, it also performs a normal melee attack on the square or squares targeted by the skill, to which it adds the damage effect.

So you can't use an <effect type="damage"> line in an <attack="1"> spell at all without causing double damage on at least one adjacent square unless, like Jump, the skill's <damage> effects all target non-adjacent squares. I have tested and confirmed this with Thibault's and Axenado.

15. Thibault's and axenado both use slashing damage. Have you tried it replacing the blasting with righteous?

16. Essence

No, but I did double-check with Poisoneer's first skill, which uses toxic damage, and you're right -- apparently it only deals an entire second attack if you use a basic damage type.

That's odd. But good. But it's OK, I'd rather keep Kiaido as a normal everyday attack with an anti-crit aura.

17. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

I'm so sorry about this, I know you've answered this a million times, but your instructions to copy the "templateDB" into the core Dredmor folder... what, down to a level of precision that would make an idiot confident about this, should I do?

18. Essence

step 1: locate your Dungeons of Dredmor main folder, usually at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Dungeons of Dredmor.

Step 2: From there, go into your Dungeons of Dredmor\Game folder.

3: Find the file manTemplateDB.xml.

4: Open it with Notepad.

5: Copy the entirety of Template 600 from the manTemplateDB.xml in the Essential Skills I mod and Template 601 from the Essential Skills II mod into the end of the game's main manTemplateDB.xml file, right before the "</templateDB>" line.

Done!

19. Kazuhiro

Kazuhiro Member

Great, thanks! Looking forward to using your skills to power ever-stranger build ideas.

Essence likes this.
  20. Hey essence, I was thinking: Mind like meatloaf is actually not nearly as overpowered as I had initially thought, since you can always tripleplus and run back and forth to regenerate, it just causes more monsters to spawn. Why not eliminate that annoying debuff, and just make it only last until you move?