OS X Snow Leopard Stats like melee power not working

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Neoprog, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Neoprog

Neoprog Member

Hello all,

I'm currently at dungeon level 12 and I noticed that I did a lot less damage than I was supposed to. After examining my stats, it seems some things are awfully far off. For example, on this screenshot you can see that I have only 22 melee power and 18 armor absorption. I'm under the effects of all kinds of Berserker stuff as well as the Diggle God of War blessing which gives +10 and most of my gear also gives +melee power. Same goes for armor absorption - it should be in the 30's, not 18!

Screen shot 2012-01-29 at 5.52.59 PM.png

I have the feeling this went awry when I took the Diggle God blessing. I tried equipping different armors, taking another blessing, etc. but no cigar.

I'm not playing with permadeath, so tried dying and reloading but it did nothing except make it worse - I'm now at 12 melee power and 9 absorption. This kind of makes the game unplayable - I should be hitting over 150, but I can't hit over 80 now.

Any advice? I'd upload my savegame but I can't figure out how.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yes, please upload your savegame, this is something that needs fixing. Just click "upload a file" next to the post reply button, and upload *charactername*.sav from... "Library/Application Support/Dungeons of Dredmor"
    I think.

3. Neoprog

Neoprog Member

Ah, got it. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Have you tried unequipping and reequipping all your items?

There's a thread around here somewhere about power-ups (usually resistances in my experience, but you never know) sometimes deactivating from some items when you load a saved game.

If that's what's going on, it can be solved by simply moving all your equip to your inventory grid, and then putting it all back on 1 piece at a time. Takes just a few seconds, and thankfully doesn't use a turn.

5. Neoprog

Neoprog Member

I tried that, multiple times. Tried re-equipping it, tried equipping different pieces instead, but nothing works :(

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Personally I think it is not the equipment issue, but rather the fact that the game saves your character's stats after subtracting the blessing bonus, and then treats your stats as if the bonus was already calculated when you load it, resulting in a loss of stat.

7. r_b_bergstrom

Interesting. The one time I beat the game, I got the God of Death Blessing on level 10. I saved at least once per level all the way down to Dredmor, and it never had this problem. Just a data point for the devs when trying to sort this out.

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

And your operating system is an OS-X?

Because if it is, then it's either caused specifically by his system, or by his version of the game.
    And if it is not, then it's possible that this is simply linked to the OS-X version of the game (which would be easier to fix, in my opinion).

9. r_b_bergstrom

Yes, sorry. I'm also on Snow Leopard, like the OP. Meant to include that in my comments.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Don't sweat it, it's not like you did something wrong.

But if your OS is the same and you don't have this problem, then that means that either Neoprog is using an outdated version of DoD, or he's using some mod that doesn't work well with his DoD installation.
    Or at least I hope so, because the only other alternative is that this bug is happening completely at random, which would be pretty bad.

11. Daynab

It's a pretty rare bug that happened before, we also have a few other saves with this. Regardless, I sent the save to Nicholas and he'll look at it (if he hasn't already).

12. Neoprog

Neoprog Member

Thanks Daynab! As far as I know I am using the latest version of DoD (no updates available through Steam) and I've not tinkered with mods yet.

13. Fibrarian

Fibrarian Member

I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this issue and come up with a method of fixing it. Unfortunately I am playing on permadeath so who knows if that could change how things could work out.

14. bearcat

bearcat Member

I've come up with the same issue; playing on mac, level 13, suddenly my stats are not computed and my melee power is 6 (!). Kind of disappointing :(

15. bearcat

bearcat Member

Edit: the savegame is a directory with quite a bit in it. Any tips about what's needed?

16. Daynab

Are you on the latest version? I thought this was fixed a patch or two ago.

But the thing you want is to zip the charactername.dredmorsave directory up and upload it.

Kazeto likes this.
  17. bearcat

bearcat Member

I assume i am -- i bought this with the humble bundle and downloaded it via steam a week ago. Unless there's a more recent version?

Here's the whole kit & kaboodle of the save file. Best of luck. Although i do appreciate the bug, perversely -- it's helped me quit cold turkey. No sense playing with a bug like this.

As a fellow programmer, i have to confess my confusion; IIUC, all the primary stats can be computed could be recomputed from scratch each time any stat event happens -- a level, or a piece of equipment is put on or taken off -- which would be kind of a failsafe. It's nicely idempotent, which makes it hard to understand.

Thanks for your attention & good luck with the bug.

Attached Files:

Kazeto likes this.
  18. Daynab

We're looking into this again. Thanks for the save!

Kazeto likes this.
  19. Arron Syaoran

Arron Syaoran Member

Even though I had mods installed(Android Rogue, FaxPax, Hero of Time, Essential DoD 1/2, Interior Dredmorating), I noticed that my melee power stayed at zero, and no matter what i did, my critical strike chance stayed at 21.(while equip/unequipping crit gear)

20. YeNguyen

YeNguyen Member

Ah, I just noticed this bug when everything started getting so much harder all of a sudden. I'd like to upload my save as my melee power and armor absoprtion are both being affected (melee power is locked at 1 and armor goes down from 14 to 4 and stays there even when I remove and put on the 15+ points that I'm still wearing past that point). Can anyone help me find the directory where my save lives?