Windows XP Uber chests all locked

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Grunz, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Grunz

Grunz Member

I can't seem to open ANY uber chests ever. Other levers (teleport, grate, secret compartment..) do work. But there are lots of levers doing simply nothing and which I assume were meant to open these chests.

2. Wisse

Wisse Member

On a related note, I sometimes have a similar problem: There are closed uberchests, there are levers, but pulling the lever does literally nothing (other than changing the lever from left to right or vice versa). No opening of chests, no opening of walls, and no text about something that has happened. I would like to know what that's supposed to mean!

3. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

Some do make traps appear, and I assume there are more effects than just that.. maybe someone can point out the possible leaver effects; and Grunz, can you open any of the Uber chests at all? Or literally none? Do you explore every inch of the level, and pull every leaver? Do you then back track the level, checking every Uber chest? I have a theory that some leavers are hidden, and are a bit harder to find.. so that could be why some chests don't unlock, but that wouldn't explain why every Uber chest would be locked.

4. Wisse

Wisse Member

Well about that, when traps appear or that sorta things, the battle log will say "there appeared some traps". With some of the levers in my game, it's just nothing. I can flip the lever back and forth and nothing happens.

5. Grunz

Grunz Member

Yes, that's it for me. Traps appearing or monsters or a buff, those all give a log message and I can see the effect happen. many levers though do nothing and give no message. I am down to level 6 now and ALL uber chests are locked. Even after pulling all levers I found. And apart from digging, I explored every level completely. On level 5 I have about 10 chests, all locked. Only 1 chest on level 1 is open, this one I opened with a freshly created game.. before loading from a saved game. I think the levers stop working after loading a game or something like that.

6. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

AFAIK, the only ones that open Uberchests are those that say: "You hear the sound of machinery", though those also open up holes in walls.

7. Wisse

Wisse Member

Yes, but what about the levers that say nothing? The levers that I can flip endlessly without anything happening? Is that supposed to happen? And if so, couldn't it say: "nothing happend" or something?

8. Ryvian

Ryvian Member

¯\(°_o)/¯

9. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Been experiencing the same thing for as long as I've had the game (since the day it joined the HIB). A _very_ large percentage of my uberchests cannot be opened. I've counted as high as six broken chests on a single otherwise-completed level.

I've tested fairly extensively, and have figured out how the broken uberchests have been occuring when I'm playing. If the uberchest has ever been on screen, and I go up one or more floors or save and quit, the chest becomes broken. In other words, if you have any uberchests appearing on your map, you need to finish the floor before you leave the level, or they will all break. Somehow when the game saves or updates to a new level, the unpulled levers stop be associated with the chests you've already seen.

When I was first playing, I tended to be really cautious, and also over-valued zorkmids. So I'd pop back up the stairs all the time, usually to go sell things at a previously discovered shop on a higher floor. Once I beat the game and realized how pointless money is on levels 8 to 15, I was able to almost entirely avoid the problem. Now I try real hard to only boot the game up to play if I've got time to do an entire level in one sitting.

EDIT: I forgot to add. As reported by others above, the broken levers, when found, flip normally, but do nothing. There's no ticker message in the combat log area, no sound effects played. Just wanted to confirm that what others had described is indeed the same symptom/bug I've been experiencing.

Rarefied Horse Meat likes this.
  10. Wisse

Wisse Member

Ah, the going up/down floor thing could be the problem, as I never did that when I just got the game (and I didn't have problems) but now, when I see stairs going down I just have to take a peek (to see where I'll prefer to go down when the time is right), so that will explain this problem.

11. Wow! Have you posted this to Bugs or told a dev about it yet? That's quite a find, and I applaud your scientific method.

12. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

It was discussed in another thread (http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/6-broken-uberchests-on-one-level.1681/), and I sent them my saved game that had 6 broken chests on the same floor. IIRC, someone else in that thread proposed that the issue had to do with going up/down floors. Once I stopped floor switching or saving in the middle of a floor, the problem stopped (all the new uberchests started working again).

Yesterday, after reading the current thread, I conducted a test to make sure my understanding was correct. I played without pulling levers untill I'd found two uberchests on a floor. Then I did a save & quit, followed by reloading the game. As I explored the level further and pulled levers, there were exactly two levers that did nothing when pulled. Those two chests never opened. The corresponding levers were in rooms that I had not yet explored at the point where I saved and quit. Upon going down to the next floor, I found a new Uberchest, and it worked fine.

Wi§p likes this.
  13. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I reported that internally with the savegame but I don't know if anything's been done with it yet. Rest assured it's there, though. In the meantime, you do have to open them without saving :/ which is problematic.

14. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

What I don't get is: Why do they only break after you have seen them?

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Because there's some variable that is supposed to be used to control them, that doesn't get saved properly.