Interior Dredmorating version 1.2.6.4

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by r_b_bergstrom, Jan 11, 2012.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Here's my first DoD mod: Interior Dredmorating. As in "Interior Decorating", because the main thing this mod does is add new room lay-outs to spice up the dungeon and give you more to explore!
    InteriorDredmorating.jpg
    • New Rooms and Challenges!
    • New Shops and Zoos!
    • New Names and Words!
    • New Statues and Paintings!
    • New Insults!
    • New Ichors!
    • New Items and Crafting Recipes!
    You can download it from my dropbox:

UPDATE: Latest versions come in two flavors, depending on which version of Dungeons of Dredmor you're running.
    • ID 1.2.6.4 fixes all known bugs. Optimized for use with 1.0.11 and the new DLC, the "You Have To Name The Expansion" Pack.
    • ID 1.2.5 is optimized for DoD 1.0.10, without the YHTNTEP DLC. If you run it with YHTNTEP, you'll end up with a lot of duplicate rooms.
    Feedback would be appreciated. Let me know what parts you like, and I'll make more. Point out bugs or balance issues, and I'll address them.

Interior Dredmorating requires Realm of the Diggle Gods. I'm not sure if you have to have it on/checked, but you do need to have the files available. My mod sometimes calls upon monsters, items, or graphics from the expansion, and if they aren't on your computer, I'm guessing it will probably crash. The good news is, Realm of the Diggle Gods is only $3.

Important: The best way to use this mod is to install it and start a new character. Upgrading from previous versions in the middle of the game will cause crashes, especially with the latest update since it radically altered a couple of previously existing rooms. If installing this for the first time ever, you could add it in the middle of a dungeon run without much crash risk, but of course the new content would only appear on floors you had not yet visited.

Emilio, benbenben3, Stryke and 10 others like this.
  2. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

I was looking through the xmls first (and I do with all mods). Your items are the best. Zombie feather ftw!
    and you moved 'most' of your ale-conners pants? It'll be a problem when you try to add an item after it.

3. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Added to Dredmorpedia (mostly just so I don't have to sift through the xml).

(also it's kinda pointless because dredmorpedia doesn't show rooms yet)

4. Hard bad guys spawn really early on all levels easy medium or hardcore. I got attacked by the lutifisk warriors and got owned :/

5. r_b_bergstrom

Thank you very much.

(I imagine though that looking through the xmls will spoil a few surprises. On the other hand, you are downloading something from a virtual stranger, so I suppose a degree of caution is called for.)

I'm sorry, I'm not following you. Could you please elaborate? I commented out the entirety of the item, not just "most" of it. I just double-checked the file, and the only thing after the "-->" at all is "</itemDB>" (the required final line of the file). So I'm not sure how that's going to cause trouble. If you know something I don't, please educate me.

6. r_b_bergstrom

Hmm. That puzzles me.

I only added 2 rooms that had lutefisk warriors of any sort.

The one that appears early on spawns exactly two "Fish Warriors" - the weakest type of fish guy, who are Level 0, Fighter 2, 5 XP, and do 2 damage per attack. They do have 2 points of armor, though, so if you're only doing 2 or 3 damage yourself, melee might not be the best solution. The nature of the terrain in that room should keep them from ganging up on you.

There is another room that has a tougher fish guy, but it's down on the frozen level which is hardly "really early on".

Can you give me more details? What floor were you on? You didn't by any chance pray to Inconsequentia shortly before the fish appeared?

(The one thing in my mod that I _am_ worried might be too strong is a particular room that uses Zombys on the first and second floor. A lot of them. It places them behind bars, and in theory you have to choose whether or not to fight them. But the "Horde" command tends to scatter the monsters a bit, so sometimes when you open up the doors, there will randomly be a half a pack of zombies on the wrong side of the bars. )

7. tehrei

tehrei Member

This sounds great. Probably my biggest gripe with DoD atm is the lack of variety in rooms (same room, different tileset and so on)...

Also, the ambush feature they added to some rooms in RotDG is awesome, I seriously <3 stuff like that. From what I gather you pretty much added more of that, so I'm definitely trying your mod out for my next char. I'll be back when I've died, after which I'll get your mod and likely die again :)

8. r_b_bergstrom

I've added a few rooms along those lines, but only a couple thus far. I have more planned for version 1.1, but I started with easy stuff, and the scripted rooms were a relatively late addition to the files. I'm hoping to release 1.1 sometime next week, and I'll make sure to throw in an extra ambush room or two just for you. :)

tehrei likes this.
  9. Haven't tried out very far, but I likes so far what I've seen. Need to fix "cieling" to "ceiling", though.

10. r_b_bergstrom

Thank you - both for the compliment, and for the useful typo catch. I'll fix the spelling in the next revision.

11. tehrei

tehrei Member

I had like a super-busy week with work and all, but now it's finally the weekend and I've got nothing planned! And by nothing I mean I'm going to play DoD for an unhealthy amount of hours :) I got bored of my character as well so I'll be playing with your mod on all my new chars.

I've always felt reluctant to use mods for dredmor, so hopefully I'll be able to help you by reporting bugs and such -- since I have zero other mods there should be no interference there. I'll get back to you in a couple of hours with feedback =)

-------------------------------

Update: YES! I finally found something in this mod to bash on! The cupboard-thingie sprite seems to glitch over your character when you walk next to it. Also the fact that you can't see the items in them or an animation for when you open(?) them makes at least something in this mod not perfect.
    In all seriousness though, I really, really love what I'm seeing so far, and I'll write a longer review of sorts later on, but right now I'm in the middle of re-discovering how awesome Dungeons of Dredmor can be, so it'll have to wait ;)

12. r_b_bergstrom

Glad you're having fun.

Yep, the cupboards are a bit kludgy. That they pop in front of you when you walk over them is actually something that happens with any passable blocker. Much of what's going on in that room is a work-around for the fact that custombreakables aren't working as the devs intended. (You can tell by examining the code for the room with the hyperborean and infernal powerups in the main game or RotDG.) I may revise the room a bit for the next version.

To be honest, I was so thrilled at figuring out how to call up grills and fridges that I decided to release it as-is before someone else could scoop me. :)

Essence likes this.
  13. tehrei

tehrei Member

Yeah, it's not a big deal to be honest, I just thought I'd point it out. Another room that feels somewhat clunky is the circular shop -- the design on your end is actually fine, it's a refreshing change of pace compared to the other shop-layouts. The problem is rather that the small lag that happens when the game switches from the dungeon music to the shop music kinda gets out of hand with that layout. It'll want to switch tracks somewhat often, which is a bit annoying. This isn't a big deal either but it might be worth looking into ways to optimize that. Enemies will ofc also find their way in there which tends to make the switch in music even more pronounced, as you're trying to maneuver your way around and positioning any allies you might have.

Neither of those things are particularly game-breaking, I had expected a lot more bugs to be honest, it was a pleasant surprise that pretty much everything worked out fine. One thing that I noticed early on was that I tended to see a lot more uberchests -- generally speaking -- on the early levels, at first I thought that might be bad, but with all the new rooms you added you don't get the "Dwarven Express Post"-room like twice per level, so it actually balances it out perfectly.
    I'm not sure whether or not that was intended, but it works great regardless :)

Also, a small typo: "Yo' mamma" would be either "Yo' momma" or "Yo' mama" in English . I assume you're a fellow scandinavian? :p

--------------

Edit: Got a CTD when going down from level 4 to 5. Luckily it autosaved on the stairs and upon reloading DoD I could go down the stairs without any crashes. Weird.

14. r_b_bergstrom

I can think of two types of coding errors that could cause such a crash, so at least I've got some where to start looking. Glad it didn't crash on your next attempt down the stairs. I'll closely examine all my level 5 rooms to make sure they're not the culprit, but I haven't had the crash you're describing with the current (or next) version.

Thanks for the bug report and for catching the typo.

15. The only thing I can think of to cause the crash would be the room that attempts to have a Chest o' Evil in it. Are you sure "evilchest" is the way to place it, or even that it can be placed like that? I tried to find the Dwarven Express room in the base file for comparison, but no luck...

16. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It's in the diggle gods roomDB. And yes, evilchest is right.

17. r_b_bergstrom

The evil chest room spawns fine here. I've been in the room several times in my playtests and it's causing no trouble.

Most room-related bugs don't crash to the desktop, they just cause display issues or keep the room from loading. The two types that I've found that do cause crashes:
    1) Missing graphics file. Most commonly called by a customblocker.
    1b) If one of my items were missing a graphic (or had a typo in the file name) that could cause it when the item randomly spawns, so I'll double check my itemDB.
    2) Listing the same numeral on a room map in more than 1 place.

So that's two and-a-half things I'll go double-check before uploading the new version. I've been playtesting extensively during the past couple snow days. I've played several dozen floors of the new version, and have been in every single new room (and my newest rooms are much cooler than my initial offerings). There are currently no crash bugs that I can reproduce. Either I've fixed it, or there's something really obscure going on that only causes a crash under very specific circumstances.

New version should be up in a couple days, just needs a little more polish.

18. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

Yeah, I'm getting crashes too. I can start up the game fine, pick a character's skills fine, but I crash when I try to start playing. I've uninstalled this mod for the time being because of it. Not sure what it could be though; I'm no experienced modder. Perhaps it's clashing with another mod?

19. tehrei

tehrei Member

Another possibility would be that there was some problem on my end, I mean I have checked and double checked for any potential problems, basically corrupted/fragmented gamefiles is the only thing I could think of, since I don't have any other mods, I have the latest updates and no other problems -- but if it's not reproducible on your end it's still a possibility that there's something wonky on my end...

------------------------

On a related note, I haven't been able to play half as much as I would've hoped to, otherwise I'd probably have stuff to talk about in this thread, bugs/suggestions/feedback and such, but for some reason my 2-day temp job turned into 7 full work days, which is nice in the way that I get money, but terrible for my dose of Dredmor QQ
    -----------

For some short "feedback" though:
    I will say that this mod almost feels like a patch in many ways. I think that makes it absolutely awesome, and can't wait for the next version! What I mean by it feeling like a patch is that it doesn't have any weird skills or tries to revolutionize any gameplay elements, or changes the way it's played -- no, it just adds and expands on everything that is great about Dredmor. It's so cool to be crawling through the dungeon and be able to find new stuff. It really goes a long way towards making every run feel different and unique in more ways than just choosing different skills or finding slightly different items... Hopefully I won't have to work every day next week, because I really feel like I need to play more with your mod so I can give feedback or at the very least have a good time.
    Now I'm gonna go play so I can have something of more substance to say than just that it's awesome (which it is).

Ciao for now~~ looking forward to your next release :D

-----------------------------

EDIT: To the above poster: try disabling all mods except for this one, then start it up and see if it works. If it does, restart with one of the other mods, see if it works; if it does, add another one and repeat the process in order to find which particular mod is messing with this one.

That is of course, if you have realm of the diggle gods and no issues playing the game without mods. If you don't have RotDG this mod won't work, if you do have RotDG you should validate your game files via steam to make sure there hasn't been anything weird going on there. If nothing else works, reinstall Dredmor. Hopefully you won't have to do that though ^^

----------------------------
    EDIT: had another CTD going down the stairs, from level 8 -> 9 this time. Has anyone else had similar experiences when playing with this mod?

20. r_b_bergstrom

How many times did you try starting it up and get a crash? Was it just a one-off event, a repeating pattern that it usually crashed, or a constant thing that it crashed every time it started up. The more information I have about the bug, the more likely I'll be able to find it.

I guess that's possible. I'm on a Mac, so I _can't_ play it with another mod installed at the same time. There's no way for me to test that theory.

What puzzles me is that I can't think of anything that would conflict with another mod. Nearly every mod out there is skill-based, and the only skill in my mod has been commented out. (I'll probably completely delete it out of the new version, just to be safe.)