Those watery rooms with an outlined square

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by Borodin, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Borodin

Borodin Member

I suspect you know the ones I mean. There's a stream running through them, and a square outlined in blue (until the latest patch) and now in red. My wife placed her character on one, and it got burnt severely. I put mine on one, and 7 monsters appeared out of thin air, killing it.

Is this a work in progress, or are these rooms simply a feature we're supposed to avoid?

2. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

For the red ones, avoid those. The blue ones de-curse you, by the way.

3. Borodin

Borodin Member

Thanks. I'll pass that along to my wife.

4. Wootah

Wootah Member

While we are talking about room design, you sometimes get named items spawning on a single tile surrounded by water. Well, many times the room generation surrounds these with walls, and so you can't see the item. I found a couple of these the other day when messing around with the digging ray. Had to have a teleport/flying to get to the item once you take out the wall though.

As for the red squares don't step on them unless you have full health, and often a minion, and be prepared to fight off the spawns. I do it, just because it is kind of cool. The blue ones can replenish mana and life as well as decurse.

5. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

Those rooms have a destructible wall which can be removed with any AoE attack, not just digging ray and the like, and from that entrance you can just walk up to the item without a teleport.

6. Mashirafen

Mashirafen Member

...There are destructible walls?

7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

News to me. I only know of the water surrounding one item that spawns all the time, out in the open, no walls around or anything, and you need Knightly leap to get it, or teleport.
    They've been around for a long time.
    I guess all these secret rooms explains why sometimes there's a few areas on a floor where there might be something there, but there's no way to get to it.
    Am I supposed to spam AoE attacks, I assume axe/sword/mace skills count all over the map to find these places?
    Why Reward mages and not melee users? :)

To the tiles, I have never been burnt by a tile on the map, the cursed areas only spawn monsters and hit you with a darkened vision.
    The only other tiles that are red are the ones in the hot or cold room, and they give you a bonus cold based potion or Infernal potion enchantment. Maybe that's what you meant by burnt.

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

There are, it's difficult to notice unless you are randomly doing weird things, but yeah, some are destructible.

Wi§p likes this.
  9. TheRani

TheRani Member

The artifacts that appear on a 1 tile island in an open room surrounded by water can be obtained via means other than flying and teleport. I've found that Psionic Shove can push it off the island, as can Concussion bombs and Remembering Your Charlemagne.

10. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Don't have to be a mage to break walls. Try Norwegian Axenado, Ragnar's Meteor, Thibault's Trompement, or even just a Handy Wand, Poison Bottle Bolt, Moslov Cocktail, or a Potion of Radiance.

11. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

I hate that some items you can throw or use to move stuff will only work if you have a mob to target. I should be able to use the Handy Wand anywhere, not just with a mob around.

12. FaxCelestis

...you CAN use the handy wand anywhere. It's one of the few that you can.

13. JunkRamen

JunkRamen Member

I haven't been able to in my current game.

14. FaxCelestis

Right click yourself.

15. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

It has to be used on some sort of object standing up. I can use it on myself, on a lever, on a vending machine.. .but those rooms where it's an item sitting on the ground on a one-tile square surrounded by water, the wand will not work on it. At all.

16. Wi§p

Wi§p Member

Its nice that they encourage that in a game like this ^^, also.. I thought the blue squares were good, I never notice a debuff. A few times I am pretty sure I was healed too..

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

No, Blue squares are good. Always. Only red is bad.
    Except in one room, where there are two orange squares, and if you step on one you get either a cold buff or a heat buff.

Whoops. Sorry. Wait, how the heck does a potion of Radiance do anything? Am I missing something? Because that just increases your line of sight, gives you a boost to rightous resistance and damage.

18. TheRani

TheRani Member

the potion of Radiance, when you drink it, causes damage to anything in a square adjacent to you. That's why if you drink one standing next to Brax, he'll kill ya.

19. FaxCelestis

It casts Blinding Flash when you drink it in addition to the buff it gives, which hits all adjacent squares.

20. In regard to the red/blue-corner space rooms (which is to say, the original topic), the spawns I get from red are typical for the floor, and only four of them. They die with relative ease, and the sight radius reduction is only temporary. What's the big deal about them?