Essential DoD Skills I and II Finally Game-Ready!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Shadow

Shadow Member

Ok so I went about putting the E DoD II into the previously provided modpack and all the skills etc loaded up properly and whatnot, but I was wondering what exactly I do with the mantemplateDB.xml?

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If there's any other instance of this file, you merge them. If not, simply put it into the pack as there is nothing to merge it with and it's the only one you need.

3. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Yeah, it's not currently supported, but just leave it in there because someday it will be. :)

4. Shadow

Shadow Member

Do we know what it will do when it is supported?
    Judging by the title of the file it sounds like it changes the character? But I have no clue o.o

5. Essence

No, manTemplateDB.xml is nothing more than a list of templates that spells use to determine their range. So any time you target a spell and it shows you a big grid of yellow and red squares, it's referencing manTemplateDB.xml.

6. Shadow

Shadow Member

Oh o.o
    Well that's not what I was expecting xD

7. ZorkFanDM

ZorkFanDM Member

So I had the version of EDoD II from before you revamped fadeout and the ninjato. I'm playing the skillset on a tankish rogue (Unarmed, Ninjitsu, Smithing, Burglar, Throwing, Archaeology, Perception) and am currently having no problems on floor 7. I have a few observations:

- The ninjato sells for way too much. I never got close to needing money, and was able to purchase Pyromancer's Gauntlets that randomly showed up on floor three.
    - Secret Sword is awesome, and makes throwing weapons viable.
    - Log is also very cool, though I did have it bug one time and not destroy the clone.
    - Currently, only the dodge chance on Fadeout works for me. I never went invisible.
    - Having two sustains in the same tree meant that I only really ever had one on.
    - The final skill crashes for me every time it procs (luckily I had changed stairs right before leveling into it). What is it supposed to do?

For reference I am playing the desura version on 64-bit linux (ver. 1.0.9 B, no RotD)

8. Essence

That's a good point, ZorkFanDM. I'll lower the price of the Ninjato.

if you have two sustains, you need to re-download it; Fadeout isn't a sustain anymore. :)

The final skill should be proccing 'displace' on all adjacent squares occasionally when you get hit in combat. The ultimate way to avoid melee! :)

9. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

I'll second Ninpo causing crashing--using the latest version of EDoD2. It doesn't seem to be consistant as to how or when it does happen, but it does.

In any case, it's rather annoying when fighting zoos and the like--like TD dodge, I have to go and hunt down the mob that got displaced, sometimes in another room altogether or in an unreachable secret room

I'd suggest changing it to something else altogether, or at least making it a togglable buff like what happened to TD dodge.

10. Essence

If Ninpo is crashing regularly, I'll replace it. Anyone having similar problems with the final level of Poisoneer? It's the same basic spell construction, just with a dot instead of displacement.

11. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

I'm personally not sure what triggers the crashing--sometimes it works fine, others it doesn't. I'm currently running CK knights 2.2 along with EDoD 1 and 2 (latest version). You know you're toxic has worked fine at times, but I haven't seen it trigger successfully and then have Ninpo crash.

I could upload my save to google docs, but it's a tad hefty at 5 MB or so. Still, if you're interested, I can do it.

12. Essence

I'm no developer, I'd have no idea what to do with it. I'd be pretty upset if You're Toxic started crashing, but I'm not as emotionally attached to Ninpo in it's current form.

I'm thinking with replacing it with either a funky and interesting thrownBuff, or (I think I can pull off) a spell that creates treasure chests. :)

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I'm all for a thrownBuff there, seeing as Ninjutsu appears to be a supplementary defensive skill, so getting anything that works with thrown weapons makes sense. And since it would be a passive ability, it wouldn't conflict with the few skills you get from thrown weapons tree.
    Do you want any suggestions?

14. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Why don't you change Ninpo first, and the we can go test it? If it still happens because of poisoneer, then we know it's the base and not the combination of area and shove that's causing it.

15. Essence

OK, here's an interim 'tester' version of EDoDSII with ninpo in removable buff form.

Attached Files:

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

If I was making it for my mod, I would go for something that has a few effects activated at random, one damaging and a few debuffing ones, as ninja are supposed to use randomly-mixed poisons to incapacitate their targets instead of attacking directly. I don't know about exact values as I usually tend to make my every mod underpowered, but I would go for something like that (here I hope that "triggerfromlist" effect is actually working):

25~40% chance for it to work, and put 1 (or 2, if it will be possible to make it balanced) of these effects on the affected creature:
    - a few points of asphyxiation damage per turn for a few turns (poisonous fumes that make breathing difficult)
    - decreasing melee power for a few turns (weakening poison)
    - decreasing dodging ability and counter skill for a few turns (numbing poison)
    - putting target to sleep for 2~3 turns (you know the drill)
    - something slightly positive, like healing 1 or 2 points of damage (to make it really random, so that not every effect is bad; it's not like poison mixes can't have pseudo-beneficial effects due to interaction between ingredients)
    The whole thing should also decrease the chance to regain thrown projectiles by 15~20%, as every projectile becomes more useful with that, covering projectiles with venomous/acidic stuff does make it more difficult to retrieve (as you can't simply use force to do that lest you poison yourself), and it's not like you have just 5 knives to throw when you take this skill, unless you were only using thrown weapons regardless of situation.

It's nothing fancy, I have to admit, but I would actually enjoy such a thing in combat.

17. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Have been testing various versions.

You Know You're Toxic seems to be working all right, so the crashing seems to be a ninpo problem.

18. Essence

Same here. Ok, then, I'll put together something Kazeto-inspired for Ninpo. ;)

19. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

What about some sort of shadow clone ability? Make a couple summons of heroes that deal negligible damage but pull aggro.

20. Essence

Obviously you haven't met Genjutsu. :p