how do you feel about the inventory system in Dredmor?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by SkyMuffin, Jan 2, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the current inventory system in Dredmor?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2012.
  1. I am satisfied with the way it is.

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. I'd like a bit more space (1 or 2 lines), but otherwise it's okay.

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. I'd like substantially more space (2x as much?).

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. I'd like for it to be redone in some way (specific spaces for managing crafting supplies, etc)

45 vote(s)
    62.5%
  5. I think it should be completely remade.

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

noticed a few threads on this, so let's vote! also, you can choose more than one option here.

2. TheRani

TheRani Member

If they add some actual recipes that use ground meat, and add maybe one more line on your belt for consumables, it'd take a lot of pain out of inventory management for me.

3. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

My one complaint is that archery takes up so much space. I'd like a quiver that can only hold bolts.

4. ScytheKnight

ScytheKnight Member

Yeah craft supply containers and/or a quiver for bolts would take away a lot of the pain. An expanded belt would be really nice for tinkers since it's really impossible to have bolts, traps, bombs AND food all on your belt. In fact really an expanded belt would help everyone.

5. Wootah

Wootah Member

If there were a quiver then the inventory would have more than enough space for just about any other build you would make. A 3x3 box/quiver would be more than enough too. A 3x2 box would sometimes make you store arrows in your inventory but it wouldn't be bad either.

6. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Personally I think that a container which could only be used to store ingredients would alleviate the issue, seeing as inventory management is only a real problem when we use crafting skills and thus have to carry all the junk around; even if it's just 8 bonus slots (and thus 7 gained slots), such a thing would pretty much double the effective carrying capacity of those who keep crafting materials.

7. ScytheKnight

ScytheKnight Member

yeah for tinkers this get crazy.. ingots... components... spare bolts, traps and bombs that you want on hand but simply won't fit on your belt... add alchemy into the mix and it's enough to make you cry...

8. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

the ultimate nightmare: tinker fungal alchemy wands.

9. TheRani

TheRani Member

I've got a character at the moment with only tinker and fungal arts, and I rarely have more than 1 or 2 open inventory slots. I can't even fathom trying to add Alchemy and Wands.

10. Knallis

Knallis Member

I think the inventory system should stay the same for a little while then be able to be augmented. As pointless as this suggestion is, I liked how one could expand their inventory in a game like RE4, and balance it out with earning a convenience as compared with a limited space that makes you prioritize your materials carefully.

My only complaint is carrying loot. I think the inventory space could even be shortened if we only had something like the lutefisk cube thing only it gives you zorkmids when you put things into it, allowing you to sell loot straight away. Even with a percentage penalty, I think players would eventually enjoy such an item since by the time you get rolling in the game you usually have all the money you need.

Wi§p likes this.
  11. stress

stress Member

Came by just to voice my opinion on this. I do love this game, but it gets harder and harder to restart a new game because I know I get to wrestle with the inventory some more. It just feels like I spend way too much of my play time worrying about inventory or back tracking to shops so I can sell things off.

A simple rip-off of Diablo 3's cauldron, where you could just throw things in a pot to sell them would be more than enough to solve a lot of the inventory issues.

I'd also vote for a Quiver or separate area for crafting items. It would also be nice if auto-loot could distinguish between chemical drinks (like Aqua Vitae) and beneficial ones, so I don't have to constantly dump my bag of a bunch of reagents I'll never use.

12. Tycho

Tycho Member

More space would be nice - belt expansions, bags of holding, larger pack, quivers, all of that. This game is a lootwhore's dream (much like other roguelikes before it).

Side note: Stacking items in the pack is well and good, but how do you break up stacks? Maybe make stacking/unstacking a little more idiot-friendly?

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Alt + Click it was, I think.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Yeah, this is how I feel about it. There is no good reason not to include more space when the player can simply backtrack to a shop at no penalty and sell whatever comes their way...it only dumps the burden on the player, forcing them into tedium to manage all of the items.

If shop access were limited, however.............that would be another story.

15. Despayre

Despayre Member

I want bags and the ability to craft bags that hold specific types of items. Take an animal skin or two, a little wire and voila, a new gem bag with enough slots that can hold all the different gem types, but it can only hold gems. If you want a quiver for all those bolts (and really, who doesnt want one?), take a traffic cone and a belt, tie it together with some imagination, and BOOM! You now have a quiver to hold all the bolts you need for your headshotting pleasure.

Honestly, I'd like just about any sort of change that makes it so I don't dread making a character that actually needs all those crafting components. I usually just sell/fisk almost everything I find once I get halfway through the first floor because I only have 1 row or less of free space (usually more like 3 or 4 slots) from all the random potions, food, wands and fungi I find. I really want to try a complete crafting character but there's no way I would even think of trying that build now. In fact, I tend to play a lot of vampiric characters just so I can fisk all the food I find and not have it taking up any space in my bag.

16. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

What if there was something like in Dungeon Hunter, where players can choose to auto-transmute items of a certain level into gold?

Or perhaps just make it so that the inventory always has a permalink to Brax, and you can always shift+click to sell whatever you want. Maybe that is too easy.

17. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Hordratic.
    Lutefisk.
    Cube.

It's not like you seriously need a boatload more Zorkmids than you already get past about DL5 or so.

18. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

Separate tabs for ranged ammo, and another for crafting materials, with appropriate extra slots in each would be great.

I often don't even bother choosing a crafting skill just so I can save backpack space, it gets so crazy.

19. Onamar

Onamar Member

Ehh, I just dump stuff in a Monster Zoo on the next floor up from the one I'm exploring, and when I'm ready to advance I move everything down to the Zoo on the floor I just finished. I'll dump it near a landmark like a big Brax store instead of there's no downward staircases, or portals to a downward staircase, near the zoo.

The only time this has ever been an issue is when I accidentally chugged a Potion of Radiance near Brax on a floor I was storing my stuff on. I escaped the Dread Collectors with all my stuff and about 3 HP left.

20. ScytheKnight

ScytheKnight Member

Yeah I gotta admit that one of the main things preventing me from really getting into this game is the inv system.. I loooove tinker.. I haaaate having less then 2 rows of inv for loot.