Essential DoD Skills I and II Finally Game-Ready!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

One more time! Once the ability to process stat buffs went live, it became evident that my code wasn't properly processing Savvy's effect on MP costs. Thanks to J-Factor (and Dredmorpedia!) for the catch. :)

2. Essence

One more reload: it turns out due to a mistype that Overcharged Payback was triggering 10 turns too early. Oops! (Thanks, Dredmorpedia!)

Re-uploaded EDoDSII with the fix. :)

3. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Currently playing a ninjitsu/poisoner/throwing/dual/swords/arch/dodge build; it is quite nice being able to summon ammo so you don't have to worry about running out, although it does overlap with poisoner's darts. For inventory management purposes, my suggestion would be to make secret sword summon up something standard that can be easily stacked, or perhaps the item changes with level like tinkering bolts. I'm not sure if that's possible right now, though.

Secret sword can summon up a ninjato; I'm not sure if that's intended or not.

Also, I'm not too sure why the sagacity and magic power buffs in the ninjitsu tree were added--could you explain your reasoning behind that particular stat distrbution in Ninjitsu?

Edit: Tried poisoneer again, since my saves got borked due to trying a few new mods--I notice that all the stat buffs from this tree (or at least the second and third levels) are cut in half; the 1-stat buffs to toxic resist and damage aren't being applied, while the crit and enemy dodge reduction boosts are only 1 instead of 2. Bug?

4. Jiopaba

Jiopaba Member

You have accidentally saved me a whole lot of grief. Thanks for that.

I went looking for DoD mods, and found this lovely little set. I decided I wanted, so I go to download and... 'You need an account.' Oh, okay. So I sign up for an account. "Confirmation Email... okay." I load up my email client, go to click, and see... "Something from my school?"

I got dropped from a class thanks to some bureaucratic crap, but they said I was free to re-register. "Holy crap!" I rush to the schools site, online registration... search for sections and it's still open! There is ONE slot left. I sign up. All those emails went out at the same time like four hours ago. I probably beat out some other poor sap by minutes getting into this class.

So inadvertently thank you for that.

On a much more on topic note, Poisoneer Hell Yes.

5. Essence

It does. It just summons up to 4 different items that can be easily individually stacked. :p I'd love to make it so that the weapons evolve as you take more points, but that's not just an option in the XML right now.

Yep! That should be the only way to get a ninjato if everything is working right. I think. Maybe I changed that.

Primarily flavor text. Genjutsu == 'magic', so the level named Genjutsu should give magic bonuses. :) Similarly, Taijutsu == martial arts, so the level named Taijutsu should give melee bonuses. :)

Wow, that's different. It's working fine for me; is it just the one game that it's messed up on, or is it all your games? Can anyone else back up this bug?

6. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Just a few screenshots. I don't have the hotfix on the website installed, if that's any help.

Before:

[​IMG]

Adding the two points:

[​IMG]

After. The resistances aren't showing up, and neither is the bonus toxic damage (the one point that's there is from the stiletto). Was running Essential DoD 1 and 2, Clockwork Knights and Dragon Knight mods.

[​IMG]

7. Essence

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you don't have the latest hotfix yet. That is indeed the problem; once Steam updates with the hotfix the GLG folk sent off tonight, it should work just fine. :)

8. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Important point, Essence: you forgot to make anti-poison unresistable.

9. Essence

Ah, thank you! Will do immediately. :)

Edit: And done!

10. Hybelkanin

Hybelkanin Member

Tried a few of these out yesterday and at the same time getting my DoD mod-virginity taken. Very impressive work, I like the art and skill descriptions but most importantly some of these skills seem to go a long way to make warrior and rogue builds more viable again!

So, thanks!

11. Essence

That was exactly the goal! Thank you! :)

12. Shadow

Shadow Member

So I tried using some mods today and whenever I used one that was adding a skill it would always be the "Trickster" mod. But then I deleted the mod and then it would always be the "Wind Magic" one, so I moved that. Now I have both EDoD mods in my "Mods" folder at the same time and whenever I use either (or both) I get "Ninjitsu" "Warlockery" and "Silver Tongue" and if I have both on at the same time I get 3 sets of the same skills. I was just wondering if there was a way to fix this? I'm on Mac OSX Lion :/ I saw someone having a similar problem (likely the same) but I didn't see much of a solution?

13. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

You have to manually merge the mods for more than one to work on Mac OS. It's not difficult but you need to know what you are doing.

14. Shadow

Shadow Member

Would someone like to give me a little help with learning what I'm doing? :p

15. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Sure. To merge mods, you have to make sure that the content of every mod's data file (.xml ones) with the same name is in the file you'll get in the end. To do that, you have to find these files (I'll assume you know how to do that), open them with any text editor, and paste all the content of all the files (other than the main opening and closing tags, e.g. "<skillDB>", "<spellDB>", "</itemDB>") into the last file, between the main opening and ending tags of this one; after that you need to move all icons from all mods folders into appropriate folders of the last mod remaining (since after doing the merge you should remove all other mods, with the merged one being the only to remain), and voilĂ .
    Any other questions?

Oh, and one thing to you, Essence. I don't know if it's intentionally done like this, but I think that Ninjato should have its level decreased, and the price as well - right now its level doesn't reflect its power (it's not useful after the 2nd floor, and its supposed level is quite high), and the price allows for quite effective abuse of it as a money-making item (I know it's less abusable on GR, but everything is less abusable on this level, and on Dwarvish it goes for almost 8.000 for one).

16. Essence

Really? I figured with the procs on the little bugger it would be pretty sweet for a ways deeper than that. But if it needs a bit more horsepower, I'd rather make it a little stronger. ;)

17. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

It's the small things that make whole builds viable. Something as small as being able to summon up throwing ammo suddenly makes throwing weapons a lot more reliable and hence deals with SOME of the issues a rogue build has. I'm currently working this with clockwork knights and it really makes life as a rogue character much more bearable.

Ninjitsu is almost worth it alone just for secret sword; I've used the log a few times to gain distance on zoos, and I've never really seen poof working--or at least, it's not that noticable. Taijitsu doesn't seem to make a noticable difference, either, but maybe I need to play it a bit more.

Also, the Ninjato is really just useful for floors one and two. 7 damage isn't that much, really, and the procs are just 10%.

18. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, buffs are neat, but they have a rather low chance of happening, and consistent damage is usually better than a low chance to get a bonus. Granted, said bonuses did save my hide sometimes (a chance to paralyse is a blessing for the monster zoos when you are playing a rogue build), but invisibility for 1 turn isn't useful most of the time (monsters love hitting you regardless of your invisibility, so maybe that one should be changed into something else, possibly a chance to give nearby opponents an accuracy debuff, as it would be better for our survival than 1-turn invisibility).
    But there's an issue with its price, which in my opinion is too high for something that we can summon.

19. Essence

that's true, I forgot all about the invisibility nerf. I suppose I should really remake that entire level of ninjitsu then. :(

20. Essence

Turns out Fadeout was brokener than I thought. The new improved version will be something everyone who likes avoiding melee will love. Also, Ninjato are now 7 :dmg_slashing: 4:dmg_piercing: and have 20% procs of Poof and Yubijitsu.