Can we get Diggle Gods on PC (not through Steam)?

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by rafaelloaa, Jan 5, 2012.

1. rafaelloaa

rafaelloaa Member

I first found your game through the Humble Bundle. I fell in love with it, I have beaten it with 3 characters, this is the only game that can tear me away from Minecraft. Anyway, I don't usually play it through Steam, as there are some problems with my computer and Steam together. I bought the DLC through Steam (Here is proof. Note the same username, and the fact that It says I own RoTDG), but is there a way to play the DLC through the computer, not through Steam, like the Humble Bundle version? Thanks!

2. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

Go into /steam/steamapps/common/dungeons of dredmor/ and run Dungeons of Dredmor.exe . It doesn't actually require steam to be running to play. I play DoD over my network from my netbook all the time, and I don't even have Steam on my netbook.

3. Oh man, thats true the humble bundle are separate install packages, yeah I actually wanted the same thing, just so I wasnt tied to the steam client.

Let me ask you this, do you have a specific issue with Steam? Is it just the fact that it connects and does stuff in the background. I found a workaround for it so that you can run steam client permanently offline, it was on reddit

By creating/editing steam.cfg (in the same directory as the steam executable) with the following lines works:

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
    ForceOfflineMode=enable

This will let you load the game through steam, it will not do anything else in the background, it just sits in the tray and it logs any acheivements that you unlock.

FaxCelestis has the better way, if your comp. really does struggle with the steam app running, it just wont record achievements. I wish I knew about the Humble Bundle version though, I really do like being unattached to those sorts of apps whenever possible, though I am finding steam to be a very very sweet platform, I am on dial up at home though, so its a pain.

4. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Copy the files from the expansion folder in steam to the expansion folder in the humble bundle install. Then you should be able to load it (as the actual code for the expansion is in the game regardless).

5. rafaelloaa

rafaelloaa Member

Ok thanks. And for reference, Steam (the program itself) is blocked quite frequently. thanks all for the help!

6. Rex303

Rex303 Member

does this work both for HIB and Desura on linux?