mysterious portals 0-0

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by medicvalues, Jan 3, 2012.

1. medicvalues

medicvalues Member

just got the game found one entered after saving preceded to go da fuck as i entereed and got foot stomped to death by footie

is there any benefit to the mysterious portal outside of death?

2. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I entered one I found on DL 2 and managed to somehow survive all the end game enemies inside. I also left 3 levels higher o.0

I don't know if there is any purpose to them. I had fun and gained a lot of experience fighting out of depth enemies.

You'd think there would be a uber chest at the end of each one at least.

3. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

I suppose the benefit is finding out of depth items as well.

4. medicvalues

medicvalues Member

yay theres that but im curious if there is like a chance you wind up in a room full of chest or something

5. Wootah

Wootah Member

I have been in a lot of them. You can definitely find good items and super destructive enemies. Never found a room full of chests though.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

I think it's mostly just to challenge the player. Havent found chests but there are usually really good items just waiting around on the floor.

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It serves as a challenge for those who are prepared, and if you are lucky, you might find an out-of-depth item there.

And personally I think it's better to find some enemies for the first time alone there before finding them in a monster zoo (that's how I first encountered the archdiggle).

8. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

I'd like to see something in the final room of a portal, like a chest or a named enemy and an item reward. Something to give a sense of completement. Right now the portals feel like half implemented content. Like a lever that doesn't do anything.

Ryvian and tehrei like this.
  9. Borodin

Borodin Member

I don't see the draw, either, unless there's some payoff besides dying at the hands of a much more advanced enemy.

10. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Well, sometimes you can get good items, it's avoiding the enemies that's the hard part.

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

There is experience, and chance of getting items you wouldn't find for the next 2 0r 3 floors. And for those who aren't afraid of difficulty, there's the feeling of challenge presented by fighting boss-like foes, having to depend on all of your skills to have the edge.

12. I recently entered a mysterious portal, fought through the entire level just to see that one of those book-on-a-pillar-statues was standing right on the exit-teleporter, so there was no way I could leave the level.

I think that should be fixed, there should be no chance for objects to spawn on the exit teleporter.

13. Reverb989

Reverb989 Member

I am SOOOOOO PISSED. I have a great build and was actually able to kill the monsters on the zero level, but now I can't leave because of the stones! Thanks for letting me know LIKE ASS games.

14. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

And that's why you always bring a knockback skill or item.

15. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

While I've never tested it on mysterious portals before, normal Satanic Displacement Glyphs are shoved by knockback skills and items. I'd be surprised if the mysterious portals were any different, so the portal and the statue would probably be moved the same distance and stay on top of one another.

And seriously, that is a bug that should not cost you a character.

16. Yes the statue can be moved by knockback skills and items but not every character has the skills or items to do that.

17. tehrei

tehrei Member

I second having a reward of some sort at the end of the portal. I'd be content just having an uberchest or something along those lines waiting at the end, as sort of a "gj bro"-gesture. I mean, you get one item for clearing a zoo, granted that that item might be crap for your character a lot of the time, but it still makes you feel like you accomplished something difficult and got a reward for doing just that.

18. Wallach

Wallach Member

I found one on B15 that went to a floor 0 with no exit. Wasn't very cool. If there wasn't an auto save when I first descended to B15 it would have ended my game.

19. kitmehsu

kitmehsu Member

Does anyone know if we can mod in rooms to specificly spear in the portals, as it would be nice to throw in like a diggle God, or a crazy artifact room in there.

20. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

As near as I can tell, the mysterious portal realms are made up of random rooms from any level, populated by random monsters from any level, guarding random treasures from any level. So you could get luck and have mostly chumps and mooks guarding the holy grail, so to speak. Though the opposite is at least as likely.

I've never been stuck in one without an exit, but my guess would be that the portals are sometimes being generated in the various hidden rooms of the game, or possibly even that the player is being started in such a hidden room (since there's a few reports of just a single room inside a portal). Most such hidden rooms can be detected and entered/escaped by means of indiscriminate firepower. If the player is starting the level in one, that should be fairly easy. But if the exit is hidden in one you've never found before, searching for it could take a really long time. Not to mention, not all builds have the right area effects to even do the search.

I don't think you can mod a room just for in the portals, but any room you mod has a chance of maybe one day showing up in a portal. Pretty sure last time I went through one there was one of my rooms in it. I think that's where the Acid Slicks killed me.