The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Daniel, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Is it any good, and should I spend another 20 dollars on the deluxe version? Most of the perks look silly, but I have to admit that flying segway thing looks fun. Still, I'd be paying $20 for horse armor...

brobbeh likes this.
  2. Godwin

Godwin Member

I just saw a HD gameplay trailer... turned it off when they said 'we wanted combat to be heroic from the beginning'.
    It looks incredibly static and boring. You don't seem to need to doge or move at all basically, just stand there and spray fire?
    Animation in general seems off. For example walking also makes you glide over the floor. It feels very fake.
    Sure, the decor is nice, but it's missing the epic Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker theme. Never cared all that much about the earlier period. I'd rather start up TIE Fighter on my 486 to be honest.

Just my quickly formed opinion :)

3. blob

blob Member

TIE fighter on my 486... Oh my god, you just revived so many memories with those 5 words !

4. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

But you need the paper manual to tell you what code to put in! I lost mine like 10 years ago... still have all of the floppies though.

5. blob

blob Member

6. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

While I was a big fan of KOTOR (1 and 2), I'm not playing this one. For one, because of bioware going south, and for two because I'm tired of "themepark" WoW-like mmos.

Essence likes this.
  7. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

It's a WoW clone as far as gameplay goes. I haven't looked at a whole lot of it but from what I can tell it's very very static the whole way through. The upsides to it are basically the story and cinematics but even then there are other games that could do it as well or better. (I believe you cared about this for reasons other than that it being an mmo but I can certainly give the good upcoming mmos)

8. Daniel

Daniel CEO Staff Member

Well, I'm trying it out, but I'm not totally hooked. I love me some star wars, but at level 20 I'm starting to lose interest. As previously stated, it is a lot like World of Warcraft... perhaps too much so.

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I also saw how badly they butchered Revan's story. That made me quite sad. (if you really want to know, search swtor wiki revan, or check youtube revan)

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm sad because a lot of my friends have gone on to SWTOR, and I'm not a Star Wars fan at all. I do love Science Fiction, and I don't 'dislike' Star Wars. but there are too many things about Star Wars that bother me. I do have high hopes for "The Secret World" though.

11. I've been saying (on the other sites I frequent) that Star Wars will not impress despite its amazing branding, backstory, and brouhaha (aka marketing). Guild Wars 2 is more likely to become the new hotness, with tanks actively dodging out of the way of attacks instead of stacking a bunch of armor, and aggro via proximity + damage instead of hitting Taunt / Sunder Armor / etc every time it's off cooldown. So I guess skill instead of gear, or something. I'm not sure what to call it but I'm freaking stoked.

I always play tanks, so I don't know what the most exciting crap is for DPS/healers, but some cool-sounding things were combo-ing your spells with other players, and every class having access to buffs and resuscitates instead of one healer doing all the dirty work.

That said, I'm still planning to buy SWTOR when it gets cheaper just to experience all of the stories, the level 1-20 highly immersive experiences. Bioware has always gotten those sorts of things damn near perfect. From playing the beta, tho, I'm just not interested in it as an MMO.

12. Godwin

Godwin Member