Why Krong, why?!

Discussion in 'Realm of the Diggle Gods' started by Run Now, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Run Now

Run Now Member

:eek: Looks like I should stop saving anvils up and spread out the disappointment more evenly.

The sadness seems to scale evenly with hoped for gains.

Enjoying the new enemies etc.

2. phasmy

phasmy Member

It's a love/hate relationship with Krong.

3. BadBeat

BadBeat Member

He loves to make you cry and you hate him for it.

4. Run Now

Run Now Member

Anyone know if its anything more than an odds coin toss?

5. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

I was fairly certain that pre-DLC an item's first Kronging was always a blessing, but now I think I've gotten some curses even on the first try. It's a bit scary. I don't even want to use them anymore. I've gotten some stiff penalties.

6. blissey1

blissey1 Member

every time you get a blessing, it's 1-2 bonuses. every time you get a curse, it's like 5 negatives...

It makes that "removes all negative effects from an item" ability at the end of the demonology tree really appealing.

7. SamuelMarston

SamuelMarston Member

But to sell your soul for the chance... well... okay.

8. Run Now

Run Now Member

Where do I sign?

I just wiped. First 3 Kongs all gave negatives. 4th try gave a positive on an item that got negative first one or two. Make a full serpentine steel plate and get a back to back Kong-Fu. Alas. Didn't chop my hands off so I can roll again...

9. AvzinElkein

AvzinElkein Member

Bad news. The flames do not remove Krong's curses, only corruption from other sources.

10. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

ack! Really? Glad you told me before I found out on my own...

11. blissey1

blissey1 Member

well that's disappointing. And makes the demonology tree seem a lot less useful.

12. Tarak

Tarak Member

Howsabout Archaeology instead? I seem to recall reading that the total positive + negative enchantments are added together to form a large pool from which the resultant enchantments were pulled from, meaning this could potentially be better than just removing the negatives.

13. Run Now

Run Now Member

Ooooh. Mayhaps I'll be able to skirt Krong's disfavor as I took Archaeology for the first time. Inadvertently perhaps a slight counter to this threads initial frustrations.

14. Borodin

Borodin Member

Not sure about "a lot less useful," since corruption is a nuisance, even if it's usually avoidable. But a spell that moves a Krong curse from one item you've got to another you have at random might be fun. That prevents the will of Krong from being circumvented by mere mortals. And if you choose to drop all your items on the ground before using a movable curse spell, the curse could simply be coded to hit a random inventory-based wearable/wieldable object later on, in a random number of turns--say, 10-300. How would you like your favorite sword to acquire a curse in the middle of a corridor while dealing with a long line of zoo monsters? You'd accept the movable curse instead, and like it.

15. blob

blob Member

Pretty easy to pick up a random crap item and have it get the curse on it, so yeah, the will of Krong could quite easily be circumvented.

16. Borodin

Borodin Member

Is this a response to my suggestion? Because if so, you would have to drop all the items on your paper doll to make sure they don't get the curse, plus any other ones you like you were carrying along. Would be easy enough to create a check to see how many objects were on the paper doll, and if it didn't meet a certain number, the spell could fizzle. Or backfire, and curse your character. Or destroy an X number of items chosen randomly from your inventory. Lots of fun possible, there. ;)

17. BadBeat

BadBeat Member

Think he means, have the one cursed item, then a bunch of crap equipped in all the other slots while your actual gear is in your bag/on the ground.

18. Borodin

Borodin Member

Yeah, I pretty much responded to that thought. Thing is, you can only munchkin-proof a game so far, before you find you're spending all your time ignoring ideas because people ingeniously create ways to work them around to unfair advantage. For example, you can copy your saved games over to another directory before approaching the lutefisk shrine for a reward, and if you fail to get something your character can use, do it again. You don't do this, and I don't do this, but at least a few people do--so should they toss out the lutefisk shrine, or Inconsequentia, because these can be screwed around with?

What I'm suggesting, a spell that transfers a curse, probably will never be used. But if it's thrown out, I guess I'm saying it should be on its own (de-) merits rather than because players can misuse it.

19. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

To be fair, this is why I don't play with Permadeath on. I can reload the save game if I get cursed by Krong.
    It's balanced, when you realize you have to spend about 24 anvils on one item to really make it more powerful than the artifacts you can find.
    I've never got anything amazing from Krong except for the 2 AA on a pair of Rocket boots. I ended up trading them out I think for some really good boots.

20. Run Now

Run Now Member

2 rerolls later (after teleport glitched one that I didn't bother fixing as waiting for patch) things are going well. Krong has been nice 3/4 I've bothered using. I want to at least kill Dredmor for the first time.

My tendency for attempting to regain mana irl while I play may no doubt hamper my odds. This game is really great, I play it more often and longer than triple A titles. I didn't even bother finishing Batman ACity post Strange. Big budget companies barring a couple like CD Project etc are actually participating in the furthering of their "trade".

Tangent off...