I Miss this Game

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Samut, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Samut

Samut Member

I really miss playing/looking forward to Clockwork Empires.

I can still play it, of course. It didn't vanish from Steam. But it's frustrating and incomplete as usual. While it was under development, its flaws could be overlooked in the hopes they'd eventually be corrected. Now that it's no longer being developed, the problems and missing pieces loom even larger than before.

It's funny, though. For all its issues, CE has a feel unlike any other game I've played. I've been poking at Rimworld recently, hoping to make use of its extensive modding options to make a CE mod, and while I'm hopeful about game play elements, RW doesn't look nearly as nice. Top down 2D, simple graphics, little animation. It's not evocative.

CE looks so great, though. I was reading some old threads about malfeasant clawbulbs (remember those?), and just seeing the screen shots of people's colonies was enjoyable. I miss the idea of what CE sought to be.

No point here, just venting. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Though a set up where it was like World of Dredmor would have been amusing, where you "mine" dungeons by sending groups of adventurers and also getting them equipment or so on.

3. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

That's actually something really interesting! I would definitely pitch some money at that if it was ever made. Necro time!! *toot toot*

4. Asid

Asid Member

If you do that, PLEASE let us know. I think a lot of us are in the same boat of missing it, and a Rimworld to CE mod would be amazing.

5. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

I'm still kind of low-key impressed people come back here and post sometimes. I haven't checked this place in years, but here yall are. CE will always be a game I have fond memories of working on, even if I suspect some of the more burnt-out peeps from back then might disagree >.>

Rentahamster likes this.
  6. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

I hope you're having fun with whatever it is you're doing now! :D

7. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Well, I'm here more for DoD than CE, and it's true that this is something of a graveyard by now, but keeping it open as a tab and checking up on it every few days doesn't take much and who knows, maybe someday it'll end up being a good decision.

8. Samut

Samut Member

I'm sorry to say that my enthusiasm to mod Rimworld ran headlong into my very meager coding skills, resulting in non-interesting results.

Since hope springs eternal, I just grabbed Factorio and it really scratches the itch of setting up production chains in a way CE never did.

It's so good at production chains, in fact, that I can't help but think maybe it would capture the 'fun failure' that CE was going for but never achieved. TBD.