1.0B Hotfix on the Experimental Branch

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Pushed to default branch. The random dumping fix will follow in a separate patch.

Exile likes this.
  2. Naffarin

Naffarin Bureaucrat-Inspector Exemplar of The Empire

Damn, i just wanted to say that with experimental my workplace capacity is frozen...18 overseers in colony but only 15 workplaces available. Can anyone else confirm ?

Attached Files:

Exile likes this.
  3. ircubic

ircubic Member

I think that's intentional, the higher amount of overseers, the higher amount is "reserved" for non-workplace tasks.

Exile likes this.
  4. Naffarin

Hmm, i must admit i interpreted the change log
    • changed overseer workplace cap modifier to scale w/ number of overseers
    differently :)

Exile likes this.
  5. I just got a crash right when things got interesting.... foreing invation 20 sthalmarks, plus 15 colony troops, plus 3 knights plus 5 reinforcements from the empire. And my chief scientist transformed into a major obeliskian... uhhhh spooky halloween battle! :eldritch::eldritch::skull::eldritch::eldritch:

I'll attach what I can when I get home...

Edit: .dmp and save file (7 minutes prior the .dmp file) do you need a replay?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Exile and dbaumgart like this.
  6. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Yeah, this is correct behaviour. Do you feel that the numbers should be adjusted? Very open to feedback here.

Exile likes this.
  7. Ok, two interesting things right before the crash

Sneaky snekay cultist, who might it be one who preach the eldritch in night outside the colony?
    Who could it be.jpg

Since the cultist is
    the scientist
    the only one that propose me two different solutions is the same: the NCO.
    "I think we should kill him! I think we should destroy the altar! But not both! Only one!"

mmm.jpg

Exile likes this.
  8. Naffarin

Well i am not a fan of artifial limits, because i tend to manage my workplaces actively and removing overseers that are not needed in a workplace, so limiting the workplaces to the count of overseers was already impacting my playstyle.
    On the other hand i have not reached the building limit yet...but would easily go over the current limit when i build chapel, more barracks, farms and mines as i would normally do...so personally i would prefer most having more workplaces than overseers.
    The limit imposes a playstyle to increase overseer count early, probably to the current maximum of 38 overseers.

So for having more choices of style for playing the game, raising/removing the workplace limit would be better. I already perceived the previous limit of overseer - 1 as hampering progress and the current limitations increase that feeling even more, so for me personally it is a loss of fun playing the game.

Exile and Samut like this.
  9. mcnostril

mcnostril "The First To Crash"

I'm not a huge fan of the workplace limit either.
    It's already resulted in a couple of situations where due to shifting priorities I've had to dismantle buildings to ensure that I was able to continue growing the colony - and it feels incredibly artificial to boot, forcing you to commit to certain paths (ie: I needed a barber to heal some people, so built a barbershop. The barbershop informed me that I needed medical supplies, which it told me are made at the chemical works, except now I couldn't build a chemical works without demolishing something else - so instead of having a quick solution by reassigning an overseer between two workshops, I had to either dismantle then rebuild something, or build a house, wait for immigration, then build the thing I just found out I needed).
    I'm not entirely sure what purpose is served by this (was it in 55? I didn't play the last one before release)? Having a low overseer count is a limit in itself. Is it to prevent people basically having no "unassigned" overseers and being unable to get things done? In that case it seems more wise to me to have like some type of really flashy UI thing overlay indicating that "there are no available workcrews for menial tasks" or something, and then let the player decide what to do about it.

10. A few things that i encountered this evening before the final crash (that apparently gave me an empty .dmp file... :eek:)
    I never noticed that CE can become quite brutal at times... (well, except people spilling out their guts)
    decap.jpg

I love these details: something broke my barrack, first time I saw a broken building, and there is even broken glass, not only the scrap used in the air crash! Beautiful!

broken barrack.jpg

And here, something quite unexpected: a bandit steals a dormant spore, and is pursued by two fishpeople (they will eventually kill and butcher him/her: I found a skeleton beside two forbidden iron plates and a forbidden spore)

things got stranger.jpg

Now that My colony is decimated, but I still have enough manpower to fill all my seven orverseer and still have some labourers left, it's time to build everything new from scratch.
    before.jpg

And it's time to experiment a bit with shapes...

plans.jpg

The crash happend some days later, while I was designing something similar for a lower class house....

Also: I'm not sure how to reproduce this, or if it's a certain bug or what... but if I recall correctly those things shouldn't be able to stay inside buildings. It happened when I called some knights as reinforcements, and one landed right into the kitchen. This picture was taken well after the battle was over. And he's still into the kitchen (assuming that that thing didn't go out and then came back in)

stuck.jpg

Exile likes this.
  11. Abudufdef

Abudufdef Member

Has anyone else had trouble growing tobacco? My farmers have gone through several crop cycles and the plants appear, grow, and disappear, but don't produce any sort of product.

Exile likes this.
  12. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Oh, snap: that crop is broken! We'll get it fixed for the next patch - thank you so much for the report.

Edit: If you want to do leet hax to fix it, find "crops.edb" in your Clockwork Empires directory (build/scripts/entity) and change the outputCommodity of the Tobacco Farm to "bushel_of_tobacco_leaf" instead of "crate_of_tobacco_leaves".

Exile likes this.
  13. Abudufdef

Abudufdef Member

No problem at all. It has been a real treat watching this game evolve over time, even though I have been a mostly silent observer. You guys always seem to fix things around the time I care to comment. Just a couple comments now that you are in version 1.0.

• Revolver is spelled 'resolver' in at least one spot (mistake or feature?)
    • Initially, it is not at all clear that some modules are now gated behind Laboratory research. For example, I spent quite a while trying to figure out why I couldn't build rugs any longer. I eventually gave up, until I accidentally researched the right thing. I still don't know how to mount a giant beetle head. I recommend research gated items have an entry in their tooltips saying something like "Unlock with 'research_name_here.' " If there are some things that you want to leave mysterious you can leave a suitable mysterious tooltip. Just let me know why I can't build it.
    • It isn't really clear what the 'win condition' is for foreign invasions. I somehow 'lost' a foreign invasion with minimal casualities (maybe four labourers?) while all the attackers were killed. Not a huge deal since rep with the home country isn't that hard to come by, but I'd like to win.

Exile likes this.
  14. Trygve

Trygve Member

Exterior Lamps and Barometers do not add Quality points to the building they're attached to.

I've tried this a couple of times in my latest game, and the +1 quality they're supposed to add, aren't counted towards building quality. When I've attempted to reach 6+ quality to unlock more Overseer slots, by placing one or more Exterior Lamps on Overseer houses, nothing happens.

Exile likes this.
  15. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Just a heads up for anyone coming to this thread by chance or from the Steam forum link I threw up there regarding the bug if you're trying to implement the drop item fix Nicolas posted, the jobs.xml you need to edit is in:

<Gamedirectory>/game/jobs/

Just in case you have any trouble finding it in your game folder and get confused on what file is meant to be changed... should be self-evident that it'll be in the jobs directory when you can't find it in the game directory... but hey you never know.

Exile likes this.
  16. Naffarin

Malthusian Trap: 171 colonists in a well doing colony

Other things: The research costs are way too high now in my opinion. I unlocked the vacuum chamber on day 82 (now is day 90) and i researched not even half of the technologies until then...so many of the advanced modules are simply too late in game. Having multiple labs as a solution wouldn't do much good in my opinion because of the additional skill up costs since many technologies now cost 60 or more research points...this should be cut in costs again...somewhere in the middle of the early access costs and now would be fine probably...also rerolling should be made less expensive IMHO.

upload_2016-10-30_19-21-55.png

17. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

How well does the roof engine handle those locker-rooms and desk-offices

Exile likes this.
  18. Naffarin

Quite well i'd say, i don't see any renderings that don't fit. FPS don't change on any of the views
    upload_2016-10-30_21-42-32.png

Exile likes this.
  19. Trygve

Trygve Member

I've noticed a couple of bugs in my last game.
    #1 Sometimes when furniture and other items are being installed, the installation gets interrupted and the boxed item remains on the floor in the middle of the ghost footprint of the desired item. After which the boxed item becomes inaccessible, and in some cases you can't use trade to dispose of the boxed item either. (When this happens I'll usually reload an autosave.)

#2 Similar to the first post, this error specifically happens in the kitchen, where I've seen it happen to ovens. Sometimes the people working in the kitchen will put the pot they're working on, on the top of the oven, and sometimes it gets stuck there and remains floating in the air after you dismantle the oven.

#3 I accidentally ordered an overseer house to be demolished. While I managed to stop it from happening, by deleting the assignment from the assignment menu, it still screwed up my population and workplace caps, by showing me the values I would have had if the house had been demolished.

Some ideas/things I would have liked to see implemented/addressed:
    #1 Consider making "flatten terrain" a priority the same way you made all construction assignments prioritised. I rarely flatten terrain if I'm not planning to build something, and the way things are now, I have to manually pause a lot of assignments from the assignment menu, or I won't get anything done.

#2 I've noticed that when I have visitors, like traders, the officer and the artist, they'll get attacked almost all the time by fishmen, if fishmen wander into their vicinity. It's difficult to babysit these people, and the first couple of times this happened I was unprepared for it, because it's the sort of thing that doesn't make any sense. I usually try to remain peaceful with the fishmen for as long as I possibly can, so when the fishmen attack helpless artists, my colonists and my military do nothing to intervene. It doesn't make any sense that the local fishmen would attack my visitors, when they've had no troubles with me (yet).

#3 Sometimes the bandits set up camp really close to my settlement, like in my crop fields, along the pathway to a mine, or even in the cemetery (easier to bury them though). If I'm hostile with them at that point, this might lead to all sorts of disturbances. Sometimes this is entertaining, other times it makes no sense to see them set up camp in the middle of a wheat field.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Exile likes this.
  20. progress, I guess?

Attached Files:

Exile, dbaumgart and Samut like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.