1.0B Hotfix on the Experimental Branch

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I've pushed a hotfix to the Experimental Branch on Steam. It's still labelled 1.0B as it shouldn't break save compatibility:

FIXED: some incorrect tooltip descriptions for ingredients required for producing certain modules
    FIXED: possible to get into a state where tutorial won't advance if too much time passes before conditions for advancement are met
    FIXED: removed mention of assigning overseers to stockpiles from tutorial (this can't be done)
    FIXED: gold reward bar now defaults drops at start position rather than map center
    FIXED: various text typos
    FIXED: a certain type of REDACTED will no longer get stuck inside buildings
    Cleaned up the embark screen a bit.
    FIXED: crash demolishing a house
    FIXED: some achievements

Please let me know if there are any new problems. If there aren't, I will probably roll this into the main branch tomorrow.

My TODO list going forward: there are a few random crashes showing up, but they are affecting very specific people. I'm going to deal with those first, but they don't seem to affect the majority of users. After that, I have a bunch of cosmetic fixes and minor bugfixes to do, and then I'm going to see about integrating a few missing pieces of content.

Okay, a more specific list (things dealt with are in italics). Things that have been fixed:

* wilderness meat
    * crash when placing windows
    * some OS X specific crashing action
    * a sudden inability to move the order of a workbench or desk
    * particle system memory leak

Things still on my immediate fix list:

* slowdown when population menu open
    * slowdown when character max pop count hit
    * minimap sometimes picks up a click when the mousewheel is hit
    * move dead people to their own category in colonist window
    * forbidding a stack does not seem to correctly affect the commodity count
    * upside-down interior wall textures
    * stockpile counts not displaying correctly for some reason
    * activity stamp placement should stop letting you click on colonists
    * people should not build interior only modules from outside of the building
    * flatten terrain needs to restore height of props
    * flatten terrain jobs that intersect need to behave themselves
    * flatten terrain characters should not trap themselves in the flattened area
    * (OS X) fishperson corpse dissection
    * objects don't cast shadows in buildings (I wonder if anybody noticed this one)

It's been really great reading about people having fun and enjoying Clockwork Empires this week! Welcome, new users, to our glorious forums; to our older user base, thank you for making the new folks welcome. I hope everyone's having a good time.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. berkstin

berkstin Member

I am still getting a crash any time I try and dissect a fishperson corpse - is that still a Mac specific thing? I've literally never had a build where that action didn't kill the game.

Daft Punk and Exile like this.
  3. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Any news on what ever may be causing colonists to spontaneously haul goods off to the middle of the wilderness and dump them?

Frequently seeing it happen with butchering corpses and a colonist will pick up the raw food and then walk in a seemingly random direction for a short time then drop it on the floor and stroll off back to the colony.

Also had it happen once or twice with a colonist dumping planks just outside the colony... but mostly it's the butchering instances that are the most noticeable as it completely murders kitchen output, especially if something eats the raw food that got dumped in the arse middle of nowhere before someone from the kitchen slowly prances over to pick it up.

If it helps attached a 1.0 replay, console and save where I've had it happen yesterday. Though seem to recall it was something reported a few times recently and so is probably a known issue, just raising it again as it wasn't mentioned for the todo list and is kinda a biggy as far as impact on the player goes in situations where you're heavily reliant on hunting for food but 8 out of 10 of your butchered raw food gets eaten by wild critters after a colonist just dumps in randomly.

Attached Files:

Daft Punk and Exile like this.
  4. Nicholas

Not something I investigated today; definitely something I can have a look at, though.

Exile likes this.
  5. mcnostril

mcnostril "The First To Crash"

+1 on the random dumping thing.
    I've seen it happen a lot with stuff like mine shorings and ammo too.

Exile likes this.
  6. Naffarin

Naffarin Bureaucrat-Inspector Exemplar of The Empire

When i took a look at such incidents it always resolved to a path finding error . The drop item behaviour was actually a follow up error.
    From the console.txt it always looked like
    Code:

walk_to_adjacent_position_for_item_drop
    => triggers a series of pathing_start, pathing_walking...
    One of the pathing_ events cannot compute a valid path after 4 retries => abort

Drop item is then triggered by executing the NEXT job due to require_empty_hands

But that was for workshop jobs only, i didn't look at butchering

Exile likes this.
  7. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Just had a really random and frustrating case of it happening resuming from the previously attached save. Morning had just started and kitchen staff go collect raw food from where it was left on the farm plot and an nearby source of yesterdays random wilderness dumpage.

Whilst hauling the raw food to the kitchen a critter turns aggressive and charges into the middle of the colony attacking anything it can before a combination of my military and naturalists gun it down.

My two kitchen staff on needing to flee walk at a leisurely pace off into the wilderness a good mile or more with the job of "Drop item". Certainly not the only trigger condition for this but it definitely seems to be something broken with the "Drop item" behaviour that's used in a lot of different situations that is causing colonists to pick a seemingly random point in the wilderness to dump the item they're carrying.

[​IMG]

Attached the files that cover this more recent case of it happening with the aggro critter which should be much easier to track and see what's going on.

Attached Files:

Exile likes this.
  8. Nicholas

I'd believe it's the same thing, yes - clearly not doing a good job of pathing somewhere or of selecting a valid pathing destination in the first place. :) Anyhow, should be easy to fix - especially with Wilderness Dumps!

Exile likes this.
  9. Nicholas

Oh, what the heck, I'm still awake. Let's go digging. (I am taking tomorrow off, though.)

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAGH I KNOW WHAT THIS IS

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Bluebird, Exile and Naffarin like this.
  10. Unforked

Unforked Member

Much deseved, seriously. I'd say a post launch week off is in order at least for everyone.

Exile likes this.
  11. Naffarin

Naffarin Bureaucrat-Inspector Exemplar of The Empire

Lightning speed :)

Exile likes this.
  12. Nicholas

Tiki: in your game\jobs.xml for the job "Drop Carried Item" try adding:

<fill_input_for_held_item name="location"/>

as the FIRST line of the <fsm> block and see if that fixes your complaint.

Exile and Tikigod like this.
  13. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Works like a charm.

Naturalist now hunts, kills, butchers then hauls it to stockpile, and perhaps unconnected but all my colonists on loading the save promptly hauled all the random dumpage straight to stockpile where before it was left there for who knows how long.

Cheers 'Guv!

Now enjoy that day off and try wrangle it so it extends to the following week. Definitely due at least a weeks break at this point. :)

Exile likes this.
  14. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Minor but made me chuckle, when placing a rally point for a barracks the top window that holds the 'done' button for the order actually says "Place decorative plant".

Exile likes this.
  15. Exile

Exile Member

Actually that is a very snide item,it will become standard military issue.

Daft Punk likes this.
  16. I can't find the option to make rugs anywhere in the carpentry workshop, I have carpentry workbenches, workbenches and decor workbenches and I can't see the option to make one in any of them. Yet I know I've made some recently in the EA builds, am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Exile likes this.
  17. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

You have to research carpets now.

Exile and Menthol_Penguin like this.
  18. I just came after building a lab and discovering this to amend my post, but you're too quick! Cheers Tiki :D

Exile likes this.
  19. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

Another tiny little observation that I hadn't noticed until today as I rarely use the minimap to move the camera, but when you move the camera using the minimap it resets your camera distance to some arbitrary default value every time.

As far as things go, probably right down the list of "Things to be bothered about" right next to something like any potential 0.3ms gap between ambient track transitions. But figured if there's a list somewhere of things to get someone less trustworthy to do whilst Nicolas is taking a break, might be something to add to the end of it. :p

Exile likes this.
  20. Puzzlemaker

Puzzlemaker Member

Hey the old "Random dumping" bug has a fix now ! Huzzah! That one has been annoying me for awhile.

Exile likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.