1.0 Highest resolution available is 1366x768 on my 4k screen

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Ghastly, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Ghastly

Ghastly Member

The highest resolution available on my laptop is 1366x768. It has a 4k screen so 1920x1080 should be available. The GPU is a GeForce GTX 960M with the latest drivers and I am running Windows 10. A few other resolutions are also offered, but they are all lower.

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

Exile likes this.
  2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Are you still having this problem? is it like that after you run windowed mode? And have you tried changing it through the config.xml file and see if it works? It should be the lines "screenY" and "screenX"

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I think this might go away with an upgrade to SDL 2.0.5, which is on my TODO list. You can also try running the game with:

-nomaxmode

as a command line parameter to see if it fixes it (it slightly changes which information we ignore from the display driver.)

Exile likes this.
  4. Ghastly

Ghastly Member

Thanks, launching the game with -nomaxmode made many more screen resolutions available. I'm now able to play in 1080, which looks much better.

4K still doesn't work properly however: The game doesn't seem to scale past 1080 and only displays in the top left 1/4th of the screen while the rest remains black. Not that it matters much for me since my GPU is not powerful enough for 4K and it's only a 15 inches screen anyway, but it might be nice to fix it in order to future proof the game and for people with larger 4K screens.

Also, it would be nice to add a way to enable v-sync. Screen tearing is really annoying : /

Thanks for your help!

Exile likes this.
  5. Naffarin

Naffarin Bureaucrat-Inspector Exemplar of The Empire

Yes ! please ! :D

Exile likes this.
  6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

To confirm: the entire game doesn't scale? Or just the title screen?

Exile likes this.
  7. Naffarin

If you start with -nomaxmode and select 3840x2160 the game will start a 1920x1080 window for me. This is also the same in full screen mode, so it only occupies 1/4 of the screen.

Exile likes this.
  8. Naffarin

oops sorry, only the title/loading screen is in 1920x1080 resolution

But the font scaling doesn't adhere windows settings as it seems

Exile likes this.