Onwaaaaards!

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Mordred, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Mordred

Mordred Member

Onwaaaaards! We've been booted out of the home country and taken up residence in a distant land, charged with setting up a colony for the great good of the Clockwork Empire! Huzzah!

I've not seen too many Let's Plays here, so hopefully it's OK to post.

Jagwithtude, Exile, Jacq and 2 others like this.
  2. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Shared experiences are always welcome.

Exile likes this.
  3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

(This is a little weird, because Mordred is actually part of my personal e-mail address, stemming as it does from my BBS handle back in the nineties. So... uh, carry on)

Exile and Mordred like this.
  4. Unforked

Unforked Member

That was probably the smoothest and most efficient game start I've seen of the recent Let's Plays. Bravo sir.

Exile likes this.
  5. Mordred

Mordred Member

Haha, that's brilliant. Mordred is also a handle I adpated in the 90's during my first game of Baldur's Gate, after that it just kinda stuck. I used to be just "Mordred" but having met several others, decided to append "Viking" to differentiate. Always a pleasure to meet fellow Mord's :p

Awesome, thank you :)

Thanks, I'm enjoying it so far. This is my first attempt with Clockwork Empires (bar the tutorial), but i've logged a lot of hours in other recent survival sims like Rimworld so hopefully learned a little from those!

Exile likes this.
  6. Mordred

Mordred Member

Jagwithtude and Exile like this.
  7. Mordred

Mordred Member

8. Mordred

Mordred Member

9. jim darnaby

jim darnaby Member

I think this play through (through episode 4) is a good validation that the number of colonists should be related to number of beds. Unless there are beds off to the side, 15 beds, 26 cap colonists. Bring on the despair and cults!

Try 4 beds per house for overseers, and 5 for laborers (early on until you get squared away with beds to colonists, having enough beds will go along way to keeping your colony alive)

Hypothetically, people build homes as they are somewhat suggested to you they should be in the game (the upgrade to pop cap in labor homes is 3 cots = 1 extra person - and in the overseer home it is 2 beds and 2 table chair sets. So if people build a bunch of 3 cot homes and 2 bed 2 table 2 chair homes for overseers, they would have wayyyyy too many colonists vs beds. For every house built for a laborer will put them 1 laborer over the top (assuming they put windows, make quality great and max out the 4 pop cap increase a laborer house can do) and 2 overseers too many per house built for an overseer home (which also has a 4 pop cap for doing all the tasks to make those homes nice) It is a flaw in the game imo. (don't get me wrong, I love the game, play the hell out of it, figured my own method to keeping beds and colonists the same- or just having extra beds rather- which involves overseers homes never having tables and chairs, and laborer homes always having 4 cots with a couple having 5 to make up for the 2 laborers you start with)

Bric a brac and rugs/laundry lines/clay pots/wall shrines etc, those are vital to have in your homes and work places to make the building quality higher, low quality homes and workplaces will turn everyone to despair easier than anything in the game, I have never been able to keep everyone happy with food quality, you keep some happy, but if you keep the home and workplace quality high you will save a ton of trouble with cults and people not working due to despair.

Hope this helps make this a long prosperous play through.

10. Mordred

Mordred Member

Great tips there, thanks! I really wasn't sure about the impact of bed vs population so this is really helpful. I'll see what I can do to improve the situation though I hope that pathing doesn't get messed up again as the houses are rather small (as nearly killed Mordred in previous episode).

11. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Do people not hotbunk anymore, now that I think about it....

Exile likes this.
  12. Darkmere

Darkmere Member

They kinda do but the day-long scale is significant enough and the bed assignment random enough that the same overseers sleeping on the floor a few days in a row can really lead to troubles.

13. Mordred

Mordred Member

I go through the bed situation a little more in this episode. Hopefully some moods begin to improve as a result. My houses are a little small though, and it does cause some pathing issues.

14. Mordred

Mordred Member

15. Mordred

Mordred Member

Exile and Jagwithtude like this.
  16. Mordred

Mordred Member

Exile likes this.
  17. Mordred

Mordred Member