No Rally in 54B?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Jarardo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Jarardo

Jarardo Member

Don't see the rally button for military squads anymore. Is this intentional or are there conditions to be able to?

Huzzah!

P.S. This has been posted in design suggestions as well.

2. Unforked

Unforked Member

I believe David mentioned in the big 54b thread that it will return.

Mikel likes this.
  3. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

And it will probably be located in the barracks interface.

4. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

The Devs acknowledged that some buttons have accidentally gone missing with 45B (specifically, the job filter buttons that usually allow a player to enable or disable hauling and chopping trees and stuff), so it's possible the Military and Naturalist rally buttons are only missing unintentionally.

5. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Their removal was not an accident or unintentional. They're more like ... renovations that are temporarily annoying.

These commands have been re-implemented for 54C. Naturalist stuff will be accessible via the Naturalist's Office, Rally will be found in the Barracks UI.

That set of job filter buttons (which are not to be confused with the Rally button, which was there because it didn't have anyone else to live; which is not a good reason for a thing to be somewhere, let us note) are out of the game because they are essentially irrelevant ( ...except possibly in very specific, advanced-user circumstances which are not worth the layout clutter / cognitive price of having said buttons in the UI).

6. Mikel

They certainly don't feel irrelevant. :)

7. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Yeah having workgroups idling in their workshop unless you remove them whenever they're done with a task is just wasteful and annoying.

Especially earlier (and maybe still now, by some reports) that you can crash when switching workgroups about too aggressively.

8. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

This is not itself an argument for including a mess of workcrew filter buttons! (And a crash bug in a related system is especially not an argument for adding more unrelated controls. Hadn't seen this crash reported -- logged it now as OC-5645.)

A problem has been identified, but it is on a layer beneath the concept of workcrew filter controls. It is possible to make default fallback behaviour of inactive labourers assigned to a workshop be hauling. It is probably possible to give better notification of inactive labourers in a workshop. Lots of stuff is possible. I'm just saying, adding a complex explicit control scheme is not intrinsically a good idea if the system in question may well just have one right answer that it should default to.

9. Unforked

Unforked Member

The lack of control hasn't bothered me at all, but I haven't been paying attention to workgroups after they complete all jobs in their shop/office. They're just idle? I'd be totally satisfied if they defaulted to the jobs unassigned workgroups do: hauling, chopping, flattening, building etc. I don't need to prioritize their tasks.

10. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Yes since since a long time ago, many of us were automatically enabling everything for them anyway whenever assigning someone to a workshop. Except hunting, but that's nothing to worry about now.

11. Mikel

It's not just laborers... in the past, idle overseers with filters cleared would pick up tasks with their crew in tow. I know that my ceramics overseer has plenty of free time in my usual early start... as well as chemists and barbers...

12. Jarardo

Jarardo Member

I love that it's back. This update looks super awesome!

PURE **** LOGIC ** *** ******