BETA 54B BETA 54B: UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH... SUCH TERRIFYING POWER

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I made a video for 54B, here! Mainly thinking out loud about how Offices need inputs now.

dbaumgart and Unforked like this.
  2. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Al, Loadouts are now based on the spot you choose for your colony start.

3. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

You know what would be an amazing decor item?
    Pile of Upkeep Chests What devious plan might these be used for?

Turbo164 and dbaumgart like this.
  4. jotwebe

jotwebe Gained the People's Ovation and Fame Forever

Airships seem to be a lot safer in this version.

5. kabill

kabill Member

Longtime lurker/first time poster etc. etc.

Inspired to post primarily just to say that this build is really good. Haven't been playing a whole lot - not supposed to be playing at all as I'd hoped to hold off 'til final release but never mind! - but there's something about this build that really feels like it's pulled the game together. So, good work!

Possibly more useful comments:

1) Bandits are now really dangerous - in a good way - and I'd seriously consider making a deal with them rather than just defaulting to fighting them. I've two graveyards full of corpses (admittedly some of them bandits) and have been forced to build a second barracks to repel attacks. As an aside, I've found the necessity of drafting labourers to replace casualties during a skirmish rather haunting, which is precisely the feeling I want to be getting from doing that.

2) The maintenance changes are fantastic. Much more intuitive and sensible.

3) Similarly, I like the new workbench changes. That's partly because of the streamlined build menus but also because the diversity of modules now required makes workshop construction a little more involved. E.g. whereas previously you could get away with just having two workbenches in a carpenters, now you need at least three to make all necessary items and if you want to increase speed of production of certain items (e.g. planks) you then also need to double-up. Hence, I can see myself building more or larger workshops in the future, whereas previously it was easy to get away with a single fairly small one.

4) I like the fact that some of the decor items now don't require bric-a-brac but I'm wondering whether this can be extended further. I can understand the argument for making these items resource-independent but there seems to be sufficient diversity in the modules available that there should more or less always be something you can build. And that way, you don't end up with - what is for me anyway - the very silly situation of having all your decor items made out of glass (I'm not convinced that glass rugs should make anyone happier).

5) Partially in response to posts above about this - I feel the barracks building could maybe do with some love, especially in the early game. I see the argument, from a gameplay perspective, for not having cots in the barracks. However, the consequence is that the barracks is nothing but an empty shell in the early game (when you don't have access to better weapons) and even later doesn't need to be much bigger than basically a cupboard to house your arms-locker(s) of choice. Gameplay wise, I guess this doesn't matter. But it makes the building feel a bit superfluous - like it's basically just a button for accessing the barracks UI window rather than a meaningful part of the colony in its own right. (All this said, I'm not sure what else it *could* have to make up for this. Maybe change the modules which give quality bonuses? IIRC, there's only clothes lines at the moment but since these hug walls it still leaves the floor-space empty. But I don't know.)

6) Haven't really had to engage with it much yet but in principle I think I like the changes to the overworld. Didn't really play around with different starting loadouts, however, so the lack of flexibility compared to the old system won't matter as much to me as others.

Also, a few issues:

1) First colony I started had a colonist who spawned on the side of a cliff face going into the ocean. The colonist couldn't move from this starting position and so was stuck.

2) Publicans either do not stock a pub with alcohol of their own initiative, or do so very badly. Despite having plenty of alcohol and a pub right next to the stockpile, it was constantly empty. I didn't test this rigorously, but it felt like when I clicked on the "serve alcohol" button (or whatever it is - the one which allows you to toggle serving alcohol and spirits) the publican would *then* go to the stockpile to fill the booze vats. Might do a proper test of this later if I have the chance.

3) Sometimes, when placing gambions, the game will decide to place a whole row of them when clicking on a UI button (e.g. the cancel button, or one of the main building buttons in the bottom left).

4) Relatedly, there currently does not seem to be a way to cancel gambion construction - you have to wait until it is constructed then dismantle it.

5) Not a bug per se, but there's currently no feedback after selecting a location for a Naturalist to undertake geological surveys, so it's not clear if the game has registered the order.

6. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Changes to workshops seem a good move forward - nice one. But can't seem to select multiple items for trading anymore ... bug?

Lack of ability to control the soldiers is a pain, plus bandits seems very strong early in the game. Substantial killing sprees :)

7. Meat&Bones

Meat&Bones Member

Wanted to chime in that this build is incredible and has been the most stable so far for me. No crashes at all over 3 long last colonies so far!

The recurring bug that I'm noticing is that when overseers die, my workplace quota at the top of the screen defaults to 0/6 (or whatever my cap is), and stays at 0 even though the drop down menu has the correct amount listed. This stays that way until immigrants arrive, then resets to correct value until next die off.

Also got this weird message about bandits, didn't seem to affect anything, see screenshot.

Second screenshot is of a persistent UI problem, seems once my stockpile/amount of stuff owned gets long enough to need scrolling it shrinks a little horizontally? Don't think I can resize it.

My only desire now is for hotkeys, preferably for calling up the main windows/overlays at top left. It would be great to be able to clicking on modules, etc, and pull up work lists or what have you with a simple letter command. Unless it's already in and I've forgotten it.

Keep up the good work, this is the best I've seen the game yet!

Attached Files:

8. Mad_Ludvig

Mad_Ludvig Member

Perhaps the Barracks should be renamed to the Armory? It would be more aligned with its function of supplying weapons and ammunition instead of living quarters for the military members.

Samut and DaCrAzYmOfO like this.
  9. Meat&Bones

Meat&Bones Member

Nice.

10. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Very good to hear, thanks!

Yeah, we agree. There are specific changes being done to address this that will be rolled out very shortly.

2: Logged as OC-5625, should be addressed shortly.

5: This issue is in scope of OC-5623; there are certain technical limitations in play here but I'm revisiting that particular area and will see what can be done to help with feedback.

Yeah, we've discussed this issue. Starcraft > the dictionary in terms of messaging to videogame players "this is where you make soldiers". I am completely for pedantic use of correct terms, but we're pretty well locked in to the current terminology.

Known issue, should be fixed for next version! Logged as OC-5604.

Do you have a console log for this? Would be super helpful to pinpoint the cause; still, will review the job sequence. Logged as OC-5626.

Yay!

1: Not a bug, just incomplete system. We're trying to move away from click-drag control scheme. Intention is to change how trade is handled.

2: You'll be getting this back shortly; it's been temporarily removed while the barracks gets overhauled. There will also be Things Done to address the lack of early-game barracks upgrades.

11. dbaumgart

Certain issues were fixed and just yesterday a new fun one was discovered. Pausing the game stops it from jumping around, if that's helpful. This is logged as OC-5622.

Yes. Easy: fixed now for next version!

Drumhead likes this.
  12. Bluebird

Bluebird Member

Hmm .. can't seem to get any of the lazy beggars to work when assigned to the Lab. It has supplies and a base set of chalkboards but no one goes to work and no research gets done.

13. dbaumgart

Can you attach a savegame of this for us to have a look at?

14. Unforked

Unforked Member

Is anyone else getting very few events? I'm on day 40 with a pretty advanced colony and I've had one airship crash - that's about it. No artists, no rogues, no sunshine for my farms, no whispering tree disturbances, or hauntings. Oh yeah, and no mysterious ores.

15. dbaumgart

.... .... got a console log? It'd be super useful to get one from anyone who has played for a while.
    (I did *reduce* the eventpoints by a good deal because they were excessive, but maybe went too far?)

(Checked one sent in by @jotwebe and he's got some Fun Times ahead in about 15 days, so it seems to be working, just rather slowly. Might need to rebalance some of the numbers here.)

16. Unforked

Unforked Member

Ah, just sent it before I saw your edit. Maybe I did forget one or two events from earlier. I really enjoyed the pacing they had before, but I understand if you wouldn't want like 10 airship crashes in a row. I like the idea of having to deal with simultaneous events... still really hoping to see a cult inspector show up when I have a cult.

17. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

I liked airship crashes as a great source of iron. Should scrap iron have the same ratio to ingots as ore? I mean it's already been refined before...

18. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

The armory lets you research weapons and armor upgrades.

Though honestly having a specfic armory workshop that does unified work in terms of making the ammo types, weapons lockers and doing upgrades (how would this work, I suppose it would use the science skill throughout? Perhaps military skill...)

19. dbaumgart

Got your console log, thanks! The event system is indeed working, it's just churning through things a lot slower.

A big part of this is that requirements for certain ... fun ... events requires that characters get knocked into a state of extreme despair. The high event "cost", lower disturbance gain, and stricter requirements means a number of these occur much less frequently until a, ah, certain critical mass of despair is ... achieved.

Which could be made a little easier to do.

20. Unforked

Unforked Member

Got it, makes sense, and thanks for the explanation. Yeah, it would be nice if you could throw a few more fun curveballs at those of us managing to keep despair at bay. I mean, I could starve everyone and take away their nice things, but self-sabotage for the purpose of seeing more creepy stuff isn't my preferred method.:)

Cthulhu_Awaits and dbaumgart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.