BETA 53C BETA 53C: QUALITY OF LIFE

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Nicholas, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

meat from when animals 'butcher' a corpse inside civilization will automatically be claimed by player
    Naturalist's Office given better tooltips
    event arcs made smarter about pushing information to ticker history
    added Quality of Life ratings (& more info in the pipe)
    added more functionality to the character tooltip (more to come): Will show more information about why a character is not doing something useful and what to do about it. This will be improved for the subsequent patch. Also shows some info about their Quality of Life, and this will be more quantified and clear in the next update.
    Quality of Life attributes for characters are more closely attached to specific emotional states in order to make it easier to provide clear solution steps via the UI for a character's state.
    added a little icon for whether characters are currently on-shift to the tooltip
    character tooltip info now visible in the work crew screen and the population list UI elements, because we all wanted them there in the first place.
    population list window has been edited to show more information, the filters have been temporarily removed (but will likely be back once we have some more testing of the default state).
    added Bureaucrat's Desk: These can be built in the foreign office as an upgrade over Standing Desks to speed up your diplomacy point acquisition.
    Novorus Logging Moratorium and Stahlmark Smithing Prowess foreign office events are now tracked using the event arc system
    added new acceleration code for closest lambda queries (optimization!)
    added more terrain softening between alpine clearing and temperate swamp
    balance: cultist murderer option now easier to access
    balance: halved the maximum number of characters you can receive from a single immigration wave
    balance: failed upkeep now makes work take ~8x as long rather than completely shutting down workshops
    FIXED: workcrew UI for farms no longer forgets that a work crew is assigned to a farm unless they're currently farming.
    FIXED: some bad widget deletions causing Bad Things.
    FIXED: military morale check was backwards
    FIXED: crash when clicking on module button rapidly
    FIXED: some memory handling issue with UI elements
    FIXED: some module costs
    FIXED: horrifying infinite loop bug when acquiring 2nd bonus ore vein in mines
    FIXED: scripterror in rogue artist event
    FIXED: female armoured bandit did not have class-based anim defs leading to very rare errors that would freeze colonists in place forever under certain conditions
    FIXED: scripterror in Rogue Stahlmarkian if rare conditions occur
    FIXED: can no longer hit demolition many times on a building and cause errors
    FIXED (53B): skill values (with strong practical applications to Laboratory)
    FIXED: stacks not un-trade designating
    FIXED: subtle errors in Foreign Office to do with missions that involve requesting traders
    FIXED: beetles wouldn't drop lacquer
    FIXED: broken icon in alert for favour_redcoats
    FIXED: broken fishperson job loop under certain circumstances
    FIXED: math error in disturbance points that made them higher than intended
    FIXED: military won't butcher corpses unless exceptional circumstances prevail

2. :) !! awesome !!

3. Drumhead

Drumhead Member

YUSSS!

4. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Great blog post by the way, @Nicholas

edit: Where did my avatar go? lol...

5. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

Lacquer collected from beetles starts out forbidden with the red outline.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  6. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

So does this mean like it suggests, that military should still be hunting?

Or is it to do with miscellaneous butchering on random corpses a military colonist may perform in order to create raw food to consume when starving?

After the naturalist changes in the last experimental, it's a bit unclear if military should still be filling in with hunting/butchering to create raw food goods in some more limited capacity, such as reacting to flagged critters in sight whilst patrolling within the colony or responding to aggressive/disruptive critters and butchering them after dealing with the threat.

7. DaCrAzYmOfO

DaCrAzYmOfO Member

Honestly I'm all down for the naturalist to be the colony butcher (he already chops up fishmen and obeliskians anyways) . Should also be the only hunter cause i find it funny that the normal colonists get a free musket while the military is stuck with pistols.

8. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

I'm down for that providing proactively handling potentially aggressive animals or those that may disrupt the colony have alternative solutions possible if military can't be set to do anything about it due under the current systems such actions are treated through a generalised 'hunting' action.

Making colonists reliably predict disruptive critters heading to crop or food stores and attempting to scare them away instead of just reacting after the event might be one option. Perhaps something along the lines of having stockpiles and fields project a 3rd category of region similar to how 'civilisation' is defined. And if critters are noticed within that region it triggers colonist reaction.

Or having military troops decide to spontaneously use nearby wildlife within the civilisation radius for target practise when bored/idle depending on their traits might be another more natural way to go about it.

Forcing it all on naturalists as the single solution for all such things that you have to adopt within days 2,3 or 4 kind of boxes in things a little too much and takes us further into the realms of linear enforced decision making by the game on the player that everyone has to make at the same point in every colony or be faced with things that have no means to react to directly or indirectly.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  9. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

Had a crash, when trying to set up farm and stockpiles, not really happy whit placement I deleted farm, and placed new almost same place. game crashed.

Attached Files:

10. Mokkun

Mokkun Member

and another crash.. seems to have happened at autosave..

Attached Files:

11. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

IF outside of civilization. (I should make it so if the harvester is a colonist, it is auto-claimed .... )

The latter.

They should be doing the latter.

... no scripterrors for me? I guess I'll just ... be over here if anyone needs anything. Coffee? Scone?

12. Mikel

I would tend to agree with your last statement.

I may be able to get you a script error tonight. I think I triggered one by creating a hunting job when my naturalist had not yet switched to hunting. There is a pause between setting the office to hunting and the naturalist switching tasks.

13. Tikigod

Tikigod Member

hmmm ok.

In the last experimental I had quite a few of critters and beetles around my starting location which I flagged for hunting and they'd be allowed to wander right into the colony and even eat crops and military never reacted, leaving it up to colonists to occasionally decide to react after they'd eaten crops to run over and stamp around a little.

Might have been some 53b bug then, will give 53c a shot and see how it goes.

14. dbaumgart

Oh, tagging for hunting will *not* get the military to attack them. It should get Naturalists & crew to prioritize them, however.

Already made the change!

I'll try to have a look at the hunting job switch thing and see if I can find anything wrong.

15. Unforked

Unforked Member

Here's a save in which both my mine and foreign office have shut down despite having plenty of repair trunks.The mine has been shut down for awhile (well "shut down" as in very slow).

Edit: Been a few days now, they're not getting repaired.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  16. dbaumgart

Loaded it up. Two things: the Foreign Office upkeep job got picked up naturally after morning came around. The Mine upkeep job wasn't firing and was giving the error about requiring certain materials, so I dropped a bunch of overseers and upkeep trunks in -- it took a shift or so, but someone took on the job and completed it. Now of course you *did* have a bunch of upkeep trunks already so it's not like I added anything you didn't have. (And internally, upkeep jobs have among the highest job priorities in the game aside from survival stuff.)

So this is weird: The conditions to fulfill the jobs exist, and with a little prodding they will be carried out. But ... they're sometimes not?

Thank you for the save game, will log it alongside maddened notes. Not sure how to answer this issue yet. Logged as OC-5421.

17. dbaumgart

@Unforked So uh. It turns out the overseer who kept trying to claim the upkeep job(s) was stuck in a building with no doors. So I guess that locked the job from anyone else AND ensured it couldn't be fulfilled.
    Wow, yeah.

hqdefault.jpg

Mikel and Unforked like this.
  18. Unforked

Unforked Member

Lol, yeah I noticed that later. Sometimes I get impatient building housing...:oops:

Mikel likes this.
  19. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Maybe you should get a popup warning if you build a building with no doors, or the pathfinding algorithm detects no valid paths for any given colonist.

20. Mikel

What if we are trying to box up colonists and don't want the spam?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.